D&D 5E I can haz WILD MAGE and the first DRAGONBORN art?

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
My question is one of whether the RAW will allow a Wild Mage to *intentionally* generate a WMS if she wants to.

That's what the spell Nahal's reckless dweomer is for!

One of my favourite characters I have played (which is not many, usually the DM) was a 2nd Ed human wild mage, I was addicted to casting the above spell (easy to convert to 5th Ed), and now that you can accidentally summon a modron, well, that is just icing on the cake, yay, modrons!

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Most importantly, note that "DM can" actually includes the option of never rolling on the wild magic table!! So if no one wants those random effects, you can play a Wild Mage that never causes any havoc to the game. And the character is still balanced, because those subclass benefits are quite reasonable even without the random effects. Those random effects include both beneficial and negative consequences, so even if the overall unpredictability is for someone a price to pay, the consequences may even out (although extreme consequences may be disruptive both when positive and negative).
And the chance of never having to roll the surges is something I'm banking on in order to have a more generic non-monstruos and vanilla sorcerer

That's what the spell Nahal's reckless dweomer is for!

One of my favourite characters I have played (which is not many, usually the DM) was a 2nd Ed human wild mage, I was addicted to casting the above spell (easy to convert to 5th Ed), and now that you can accidentally summon a modron, well, that is just icing on the cake, yay, modrons!

My wife's Planescape character took Spell Mastery when converted to 3rd ed so that she could cast Nahal's spontaneously.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
My wife's Planescape character took Spell Mastery when converted to 3rd ed so that she could cast Nahal's spontaneously.

Oh, wow, you also mentioned my favourite campaign setting: Planescape; now, Planescape and Wild Surges makes me very comfortable…*said like Robert Downey Jr. in Bowfinger*

Li Shenron

Legend
And the chance of never having to roll the surges is something I'm banking on in order to have a more generic non-monstruos and vanilla sorcerer

That's true.

…a Wizard?

Maybe he and someone else actually like the Sorcerer's spellcasting methods more than the Wizard's.

The flavor can be changed. But in fact if you remove the wild surges from the Wild Mage Sorcerer, you get a less-flavored Sorcerer, but you still have the mechanics of sorcery points if you prefer that.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Hmmm...that one's never crossed my path. From 2e, is it?

Lan-"thoguh there are already too many spells in my game it might soon be getting one more"-efan

From Tome of Magic, as I recall. 2nd (?) level spell. It allowed a wild mage to just roll on the chart. The mage has to pick a spell he knows, for those chart entries that modify the spell cast.

Thaumaturge.

reiella

Explorer
From Tome of Magic, as I recall. 2nd (?) level spell. It allowed a wild mage to just roll on the chart. The mage has to pick a spell he knows, for those chart entries that modify the spell cast.

Thaumaturge.

Nahal's was first level, and a big part of how Wild Mages could break the game. Not just because of the at will wild surge, but because it let them use a level 1 spell-slot to potentially cast any spell. The value of Nahal's goes up with each level as that not only increases the different spells possible to use, but also the likelihood that the spell in question will be cast successfully (Nahal's lets you add your level to the wild magic surge roll). Also, the difficulty of using Nahal's to cast Wish was the same as using Nahal's to cast Magic Missile.

It should be noted that even with the +20, success was not 'guaranteed' or even significantly assured, but it does preclude a lot of the really bad surges.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
…a Wizard?
[MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION] has already shed some light, but dragon sorcerer and wild sorcerer are very restrictive when they are too strong, I don't mind some draconic flavor but if it is too strong it overpowers the character concepts I usually like to play, and none of my characters so far has _turn into a monster_ as part of the class concept, and only a few have _isa screwy squirrel_ in their job description, and many have used flavors like weather, celestial, elemental infernal and so on, wanting a sorcerer with less strong flavour alllows me to actually play the kind of sorcerer I want to.

And calling any sorcerer not poisoned with strong flavor a wizard is an strawman, in my view a sorcerer is even more generic than a wizard, having a vanilla sorcerer actually allows me to play the kind of stories I want to play and not the ones the designers want to allow. And no, no dnd wizard will ever work for me either.

Last edited:

Remove ads