D&D 5E I demand randomization in 5e.

Herschel

Adventurer
The one thing 5e could fix over 4e that would make me so happy is getting rid of the idea that you need to hand-pick the specific magic items you need to optimize your character. When I DM 5e, I am absolutely doing random treasure tables. It's such a rewarding challenge to make do with whatever magic weapon you're given.

Because the player who has played up his character as the wannabe Greatest Swordsman in the Westron Kingdoms with a sharp rapier and even sharper wit would be just as happy with a really big hammer. ;)

Herschel

Adventurer
If you've reached at least one milestone today, the tavern owner will also set out a wider selection of condiments.

"Dude, I'm down to 3 HP and we're out of healing! We're also using the module where that means I have a gaping head wound, halitosis and rickets."

"I don't care, we're taking out those Orcs. I want mustard on my brats tonight!"

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Because the player who has played up his character as the wannabe Greatest Swordsman in the Westron Kingdoms with a sharp rapier and even sharper wit would be just as happy with a really big hammer. ;)

Depends on the player. Being the sharp-witted person that I am, I'd appreciate the irony that I am 'better' with my really big hammer than I am with my rapier. :cool:

I wonder what sort of weird game you are playing where there are magical items of no use. It's magical for a reason, right? Even the aforementioned Ring of Spicy Stew would be put to use by my players.
An AD&D game where there are magic items that may only be used by a particular class, and there's no one of that class in the party?

IMXP, this mostly happens when character abilities (or items abilities) are very narrow.
True, and it also depends on how narrow the uses of the magic item are.

If both are sufficiently broad, there would be no such thing as "junk" items.

Edit: Sorry, missed your parenthetical comment the first time.

Kraydak

First Post
Of *course* we should have randomization of magic items. More, the DMG should explicitly recommend it over all other loot-determination mechanisms. The reason is simple: magic items, as a game element, are a reward. Now, even though people hate to admit it, magic items aren't "wondrous". Sure, players might ooh-and-aah over their loot the session they get it, but by the next session it'll all be old hat already. DMs and game designers have tilted against this fact in vain for decades. It is time to stop.

Instead, as games like Diablo have shown, the best way to excite people is random rewards (although the psychology might be a bit uncomfortable). Really, the DnD side should talk to the Magic side for advice on how to set things up. More basically though, think about the excitement *before* opening Christmas presents as compared how fast even the best opened presents become unexciting. The system should seek to maximize the anticipation. Random magic item drops combined with slightly tedious (having to go back to town, say, not major hoops) identification is probably a good place to start. The entire group will pay attention when the DM finally reads out the IDed loot list...

Of course, random magic items means you do need some backup item sources to fix holes when the dice swing way against a player. I'd suggest a standardized magic-item-trading scheme as a start: a modest upfront charge to advertise an item nets a few rolls on (mostly slightly lower level but rarely the same or higher) the tables ever few in-game months. So you try to trade high level not-useful-to-the-party items, and just sell low level stuff. A modestly punitive resale value combined with decent magic item shops completes the system.

Of *course* we should have randomization of magic items. More, the DMG should explicitly recommend it over all other loot-determination mechanisms. The reason is simple: magic items, as a game element, are a reward. Now, even though people hate to admit it, magic items aren't "wondrous". Sure, players might ooh-and-aah over their loot the session they get it, but by the next session it'll all be old hat already. DMs and game designers have tilted against this fact in vain for decades. It is time to stop.

Instead, as games like Diablo have shown, the best way to excite people is random rewards (although the psychology might be a bit uncomfortable).
In that case, shouldn't class features and feats be random as well? Players are allowed to choose these things, or acquire them automatically as part of levelling, but levelling is also a reward in the game.

Why should magic items be random but not other rewards? Why do they know when they're going to level instead of at some random XP amount?

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
An AD&D game where there are magic items that may only be used by a particular class, and there's no one of that class in the party?
It can still be used to increase wealth (selling it). Or, as a doorstop.

For myself, I love the existence of random tables. I have always used them inconsistently, though. Sometimes, I roll for a small portion of the treasure. Sometimes, most of it. Maybe some or none. Sometimes, I'll even roll to see if any exists.

Why do I roll? I've already decided it's time to give the fighter a new, shiny flame tongue. I'm comfortable with everyone else's signature gear, but they're a bit weak on expendables and general toys. I don't really care what they get, just that there's something. If I don't like the result, I roll again. It's simpler than scanning the whole list and provides a break from the important decisions during prep. I also like wandering monsters. They get random stuff.

So, yeah, I want random treasure tables (including gems, art items, coinage). I also want random encounter tables by terrain type (not by character level). And random demon generation tables. And random dungeon dressing. And random dungeon generation. And I really want a good random NPC traits tool (i.e. multiple tables).

Aw, heck. While they're going through the trouble of re-editing the 1e DMG, I'd like it if they just made a note every time they ran into a table (random or not) and included something similar in the 5e DMG, unless they have an upgraded system. Give me the table of wild color names, mental illnesses, and assorted trappings.

Those things are awesome to get creativity going. My home brew world is almost thirty years old. The major aspects of its history and two multi-year campaigns, along with a plethora of minor threads in other campaigns, were fueled primarily by the "Mystical Properties of Gemstones" table. I'm pretty sure I could run at least one more campaign based on it without retreading ground.

Mercule

Adventurer
That's pretty much the definition of a "junk" item: one whose value is purely monetary.
It was intended with a certain amount of tongue in my cheek.

Still, "junk" items are something that may or may not have value. Filler items are actually one of the reasons I prefer rare magic item settings. Every magic item is special and worth finding a way to use it.

If magic items are common, it stands to reason that there would be an economy around them. I don't see what's so wrong about giving the party a 5,000 gp value item they can't use in place of a 5,000 gpv gem. Either one is a form of wealth that probably needs to be redeemed. In fact, if magic items aren't rare, it 's a bit dubious that the PCs wouldn't find something they couldn't use, from time to time. Also, when you get to 4e and residuum, who really cares if the magic item isn't directly usable, so long as the aggregate amount of residuum provides material for the correct amount of useful items -- let the players get the enjoyment of tailoring their own tools.

Remove ads