I finally found a use for the Eladrin Longsword Proficiency!

Stalker0

Legend
Until now, I was convinced that eladrin's longsword prof was entirely worthless. Every class that would use it already had it, the rogue can't use it with his powers, and wizards and warlocks don't need to get into melee with their powers. While there's the one wizard paragon path that makes use of it, in general its just not worth it.

Except one time....the cleric! The cleric only gets simple martial weapons, and would certainly love to have stronger weapons. The longsword pretty much gains him a +1 to attack rolls (vs a mace) or +2 - +3 more damage (vs a dagger).

This is nice because generally the eladrin doesn't have much for the cleric in general, no stat synergies, no skill bonuses are are particularly good for a cleric. But with this, the cleric at least gets a free feat out of the deal, and then with eladrin solider could get another +2.

So while the eladrin cleric is not the most optimized combo, the proficiency at least makes the combo a bit better than it would otherwise be.

generalhenry

First Post
yep, elven clerics rocked in 3E.

but 4E elves don't get longswords...
and eladrin have terrible stats for playing clerics

but yeah nice to have something making them merely bad clerics, and not terrible clerics.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well, rogues can get some use out of it too... they can TWF with a longsword and a light blade. Use the light blade for powers and the longsword for opportunity attacks. Not huge, but it's something.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Wizard of the Spiral Tower

The long sword prof is purely for the WotST paragon path. That is all. And the superfluos Eladrin Weapon training feat for the +2 damage to long swords and spears. It is a little perk for eladrin casters to use for OAs, I guess. Dwarves are in the same boat with the hammer profs except for the Hexhammer Gish warlock build.

Morandir Nailo

First Post
Yeah, it basically saves a feat for Eladrin caster-types who want to melee a bit. I've put together a Hexhammer gish variant using an Eladrin for a game at my FLGS, and between a decent Str, Eladrin Soldier, Bracers of Mighty Strike, and a few Fighter powers, I'll be able to dive into melee every now and then without a lot of trouble. Having lots of temp HP from my Infernal powers is a big help of course.

Gloombunny

First Post
Rangers are already proficient with the longsword.
I assume he meant the slightly increased damage an eladrin ranger can get by taking Eladrin Soldier instead of Weapon Focus. It's nice for a few levels, I guess, but eventually you really should take bastard sword proficiency anyway.

It's the same thing with clerics... sure, the eladrin cleric saves a feat, but the other characters who do spend the feat get a better weapon, and the proficiency feat is still a very strong pick for the eladrin cleric too. It's not really worth anything, in the medium run as well as the long one.

unobserved

First Post
I assume he meant the slightly increased damage an eladrin ranger can get by taking Eladrin Soldier instead of Weapon Focus. It's nice for a few levels, I guess, but eventually you really should take bastard sword proficiency anyway.

I think d10+1 (2 feats) vs d8+2 (1 feat) is a debateable choice as opposed to a "really should"

Remove ads