D&D 5E I hate expertise dice as a universal mechanic.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
DEFCON1 said:
In combat, a Rogue *is* a "Fighter light."

Not in my games it isn't.

In my games, rogues don't bother to play second fiddle to fighters in combat. They instead play lead guitar when exploring the dungeon.

Combat isn't important enough in my games for it to be a big deal if the rogue doesn't have 5 different attack options.

Warbringer

Explorer
D&D survived AEDU, but I think turning it into a dicepool game might be the end.

Dice pools are AEDU in essence.

Deconstruct powers (and spells even before that) and you have a pregenerated series of components that combine to create an effect. Now, we have expertise dice that simply dissaociates the components from the power. Now, give extra dice for using a specific move only "once per short rest" or "prepared" and you've really created a dynamic version of powers.

Does this change DnD ... maybe, as it opens up the game to the risk of getting the point buy (dice buy now) that systems like hero suffered from... is it the end? ... personally i think 5e is the final pnp D&D anyway..

Bluenose

Adventurer

In my games, rogues don't bother to play second fiddle to fighters in combat. They instead play lead guitar when exploring the dungeon.

Combat isn't important enough in my games for it to be a big deal if the rogue doesn't have 5 different attack options.

So, don't bother playing a fighter? The only thing the mechanics make you good it isn't important enough for it to be a big deal.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

That's fine. But I think you are in the minority on this one. So we can't necessarily use your idea for how rogues fare in combat as the baseline for the entire game. Because like it or not... I think combat *is* important for most D&D games and always has been (either in the design or at the actual tables of the players.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That's fine. But I think you are in the minority on this one. So we can't necessarily use your idea for how rogues fare in combat as the baseline for the entire game. Because like it or not... I think combat *is* important for most D&D games and always has been (either in the design or at the actual tables of the players.)
Probably he and I are a minority, among those on your playstyle. You cannot just dismiss someone's opinion on the grounds of it not being "popular", weird because. I can count at least four people on this thread who think the rogue right now feels like a "fighter light" and are disatisfied with it. Are we really a minority here? We cannot know for certain here, playing rogues isn't as fringe as liking playing healbots, therefore you cannot know what should or shouldn't be used as the baseline, that is a decision for the designers to take.

For all we know having a unique rogue class and a "roguish" combat style for the fighter could serve us better than the current setup with a rogue class that is only a little better than a glorified combat style for the fighter.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Probably he and I are a minority, among those on your playstyle. You cannot just dismiss someone's opinion on the grounds of it not being "popular", weird because. I can count at least four people on this thread who think the rogue right now feels like a "fighter light" and are disatisfied with it. Are we really a minority here? We cannot know for certain here, playing rogues isn't as fringe as liking playing healbots, therefore you cannot know what should or shouldn't be used as the baseline, that is a decision for the designers to take.

For all we know having a unique rogue class and a "roguish" combat style for the fighter could serve us better than the current setup with a rogue class that is only a little better than a glorified combat style for the fighter.
I am with you here, I don't want the Rogue to be a Fighter light. Maybe it's Defcon 1's playstyle that is a minority? ;)

I don't want the Rogue to be a Fighter light, but a class that has it's own fighting style. I like the movement heavy, weakness exploiting Rogue.

Remove ads