D&D General I hate five-foot passages!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But yeah, why would large creatures ever live in a place that is just too small for them? It doesn’t make sense.

Slaad are not known for rationality.
Oh, and as far as I can tell (not having read the module, but done some searching), they are slaad (irrational) hanging out with religious extremist cultists.

So, maybe "making sense" isn't their primary goal for being in that place.

TheSword

Legend
Yeah. It's often what I do - but then see incredibly bad rolls. :)

The characters have much superior Athletics/Acrobatics scores than the slaad, btw. (Slaad +3 and +5 vs fighter +9).

Cheers,
Merric
Wait a minute. How has your fighter got +9 Athletics/Acrobatics fighting against CR 5 creatures?

That feels very high to be fighting CR 5 creatures.

I must admit I’ll be very happy when the grapple rules change in the update.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I haven't read the module in question, so I don't know if it addresses this, but "typically" when it comes to planar creatures being in particular rooms, it's because someone has summoned and bound them there to act as guardians. So they never traversed the too-small corridors to begin with (nor will they try to leave the area, since they can't).

Likewise, even leaving aside that slaad are chaotic in the extreme, creatures bound to a particular room are (as I see it) either going to try and keep everyone out as a matter of obeying the magic binding them (and so will shut the door, bar it, ready attacks if it opens, etc.), or will be desperate to go home, which includes dying on the Material Plane and reforming back in their native realm (typically with the proviso that they can't kill themselves/each other), and so will initiate combat at the drop of a hat, even if it's not advantageous to do so.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, but the example at hand is slaad. And they are in a delving that does not seem primarily created as a fortification. So, it being sized more as living space (for illithids) seems about right.

I'm not familiar with the mod. The location should, in general, be sized for whatever built it in the first place.

Which is why I like to think about things like what walls are made of and whether that provides more opportunities for an interesting fight. For example I've had giants knock a big hole in a cottage wall to get at the sniper hiding inside. Doesn't always apply of course.

Clint_L

Hero
Realism. In real life, 5 foot is quite a wide passage.
This. Measure the width of a hall in your house.

I don't pay that much attention to the rules for movement when it comes to width and occupying spaces. I go with "what makes sense in the story?"

Or what works with my miniatures and terrain...which do struggle with narrow spaces sometimes.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Wait a minute. How has your fighter got +9 Athletics/Acrobatics fighting against CR 5 creatures?

That feels very high to be fighting CR 5 creatures.

I must admit I’ll be very happy when the grapple rules change in the update.
Figure they're about level 9 or 10 at that point of the adventure given its chapter so that's a +4 proficiency bonus on top of a (probably) +5 stat.
And for a party of 9th level characters, a CR5 and a CR7 together make for (roughly) a Medium encounter. Totally reasonable to be encountering things like that.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I think there's really two issues: verisimilitude and interesting combat encounters.

On the verisimilitude angle, I don't have any issue with it, for all the reasons other people have mentioned.

From the combat encounter angle though, I can see it being a problem. If it's just one encounter PCs might feel good using smart tactics to defeat a challenging enemy, but if keeps coming up, it can make things dull.

The bigger game play issue for me with the 5-foot is that there's often room for one melee fighter, so if the party has several of them, some have to sit in the back and throw javelins.

Clint_L

Hero
To be honest, in general I avoid encounters in 5' spaces because it is such a PITA. And when they have to happen it is something brief and easily handled with theatre of the mind.

Remove ads