D&D General I have decided on the ultimate dnd heresy

GreyLord

Legend
I honestly do not care about dragons.
fizban's was cool and all but I never have nor will ever care about dragons.
giants suck and need to be way cooler but this is not about them.
I will raise up a new idol in their place.

And here I thought you were going to say that you hated combat in RPGs or something. That combat needs to die a fast quick death and all RPGs (including D&D) from here on out needed to rely on talking and how fast one could tie a ribbon on top of a puppy's head, or if a bigger challenge is needed, on a cats head.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You are a bit late, IMO.

Dungeons have already gone by the wayside--- dragons was inevitable. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I've always been far, far more interested in undead and constructs than dragons or giants.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Dragons can be so many different things. If you don't like the 'main stream' dragon, you can change them in ways that make them unique and interesting to your lore and campaign. They did it in Athas, they're redoing it in Fizban's with that expanded lore, and many of us have done it for years.

In my campaign they were the first beings created by the Gods. They have a place as the race most touched by the Divine.

All of them cast spells - and all of them get to apply metamagic to their spells. It is just part of their nature to use magics.

There are those amongst them that take on class levels as well, allowing them to become archmages, grand masters, high priests and archdruids. (In the past, all of my dragons were wizards, but as the editions changed I instead went with the various incarnations of innate spellcasters and had only a small number be classed).

They define kingdoms in much of my world, and are often major forces in politics. Many kingdoms have a border that is defined by the reach under the protection (or control) of a dragon. Many of my great cities (but certainly not all) are built on the lair of a dragon. The greatest 'Kingpin' in my setting is an Ancient Red. They are features of the political landscape.

They also have ties to the Elemental Plane (I have only one) and can link their lairs to them - which made lair abilities very convenient in my lore.

When new players first join my campaign world they often miss the subtle hints that dragons are a bit different - both in ability and in their place in the lore of the world) - but around 7th or 8th level they start to figure it out.
You can do absolutely all of that with virtually any creature type.

Remove ads