D&D General I have decided on the ultimate dnd heresy

jgsugden

Legend
You can do absolutely all of that with virtually any creature type.
True. You can reskin PCs into intelloigent mice and reskin all monsters into small animals, too. You can do anything.

However, D&D is D&D ... and there are certain expectations common amongst players. When they finally face and kill a dragon, it is usually one of the iconic events in a campaign. It kind of robs the PCs if you entirely remove them ... but modifying them to make them more distinct and unique can enhance that iconic moment. YMMV.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
True. You can reskin PCs into intelloigent mice and reskin all monsters into small animals, too. You can do anything.

However, D&D is D&D ... and there are certain expectations common amongst players. When they finally face and kill a dragon, it is usually one of the iconic events in a campaign. It kind of robs the PCs if you entirely remove them ... but modifying them to make them more distinct and unique can enhance that iconic moment. YMMV.
Maybe some players. I've never been in a game with players who assumed dragons without already knowing about them ahead of time.

jasper

Rotten DM
I honestly do not care about dragons.
fizban's was cool and all but I never have nor will ever care about dragons.
giants suck and need to be way cooler but this is not about them.
I will raise up a new idol in their place.
Looks at Mind with 1E eyes. Welcome to bonfire,weiner roast, . Those new safety matches are hard to light. What is the new idol?

MGibster

Legend
I tried to use a dragon in my first 5th edition campaign against the characters, and they mopped the floor with him. It's not that I had a problem with the PCs winning, it's that it wasn't a challenge at all, and I'm pretty sure I was using an ancient dragon. It kind of soured me on running 5th edition for a while as I tried to come to grips with the broken Challenge Ratings for creatures. In the meanwhile, I've painted two dragons and I have yet to use them for gaming purposes. I think I'm just going to have run a D&D campaign one of these days and make the dragon the main baddie.

Green Dragon.JPG

Red_Dragon_1.JPG

MarkB

Legend
My only actual experience of Xvarts is "I've still got two more map areas to traverse in order to get to the gnoll fortress, and if I rest one more time Minsc is going to get enraged and leave me forever. Could I please just go, like, ten paces without running into another swarm of these little bastards?"

Outside of Baldur's Gate 1, I don't think I've ever seen them in-game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases