• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have Heroes of Shadows

WalterKovacs

First Post
About the Blackguard's Holy Smite/Power Strike equivalent that deals auto cold + necrotic and additional ongoing cold + necro if the attack hits, how does the damage on that power scale, if it does at all?

Dread Smite does flat damage (hit or miss) and ongoing (hit). At 7 the flat damage increases by 2. At 17 and 27, the flat damage increases by 3 each time in addition to the ongoing going up by 5 each time. Also, it uses CHA mod, so it also scales that way.

This was asked elsewhere but I've noticed this myself and am curious: Is that the targets bloodied value or is it the bloodied value of the creature? If that's the targets bloodied value then that is just incredibly ridiculous on solos. But I imagine it's the warpriests bloodied value. A whopping amount of damage as an effect without a roll seems rather absurd though.

The cleric's.

Also what are some of the Death domains general features and other dailies like?

Death Domain: At level 1, you get resist necrotic 5; when you spend a surge you get 5 thp per tier and a suite of powers. One at-will attack is a melee 1 implement attack that does necrotic and cold, as an effect it reduces the targets defenses by 2 for the next attack against it. The other at-will attack is a melee 1 implement attack that does psychic damage, as an effect it reduces the targets damage rolls by Con mod for a turn. You get a level 1 utility encounter power that let's you know if any bloodied enemies in a close bust 3 have HP lower than your surge value ... which can come in handy for some death domain powers. Your Channel Divinity let's you give yourself or an ally, if they are bloodied, 5 thp per tier.

Starting at 5, when an enemy drops within 5 squares of you, you can use healing word as an immediate reaction. Starting at 10, you can use a free action to deal Con mod necro damage to an ajacanent bloodied enemy.

For daily powers: You get Inflict Wounds at 1 (auto "hit" touch attack, deals 3d6+wis necro damage. They spoiled the 5 [when the target dies, the enemies rises as a dominated minion]. 9 has two options. One is a weapon attack and the enemy keeps taking psychic damage based on the number of your allies adjacent to it, that only ends if it ends it turns with none of your allies adjacent. Doesn't seem to count you among your allies. The other is a blast that creates an encounter long zone where enemies provide c/a.

At 15 you get Drain Life, which is basically an upgraded version of Inflict Wounds. 19 is an upgraded version of 5. 25 has upgraded versions of the 9s. The weapon attack allows allies to make opportunity attacks when the enemy attacks anyone but them. The blast creates a sustainable zone that weakens enemies and gives thp to allies. The 29, Ravage, I already mentioned, and is basically the capstone version of Inflict Wounds/Drain Life.

So, they did make it where you can replace a power with an "improved" version of the same power.

I'd say it would be all three from the way he put it. Given they get few choices and are pretty much straight on rails, being able to choose any NAD to attack would be a huge advantage (especially given their mechanics).

Yup, they get all three. Each seems like a sort of iconic power, one to lure, one to 'sip', and one to show the super strength a bit with a powerful shove.

My questions for the very kind WalterKovacs:

Does the Blackguard has access to plate & heavy shield and does it have defender hit points and surges like the paladin?

Yup. They get 10+ surges, 6 hp per level, plate and heavy shield, +1 to all NADs, etc ... they are going to be a very well defended striker.

Likewise, does the Binder has HP/Surges/Armor like a Warlock (12+Con HP, 5 by level, leather armor) or like a classic controller (10+Con HP, 4 by level, clothes armor)?

He gets the warlock package you've listed.

Does the encounter powers of the Binder have Miss/Effect lines (from the previews of DDXP they didn't !)

There are a couple powers with effect lines (like creating zones for a turn when you do blasts), but mostly they are all or nothing for hit/miss.

No return of "Intrinsic Nature" abilities for Summons?

It seems they all have opportunity actions instead. Intrinsic Nature was more a primal summon thing.

Is there anywhere in the book a clarification about powers that have both the Implement and the Weapon keywords?

Not that I can see. Also, the hexblade weapon powers don't actually have the implement keyword in this book ... so I'm not sure what is up with that.

Does the CHA mod to damage when getting CA for the Blackguard scales? (2+CHA mod at level 5, ...)

Nope, and neither does the vice stuff.

Any changes to the Revenant's unnatural vitality? A DDXP char sheet suggested it was changed so the Revenant is dazed instead of being limited to one standard action while in subzero HP.

That is correct. You can choose to be dazed instead of unconsicous until you fail a death saving throw.

Can you please tell me briefly what the new Binder Utility powers are for 2nd & 6th level is?

Do Binders get any other "summoning" powers except for the one at 9th & the paragon lvl one?

At 2, you can take Shade Twin, a daily. It lets you mimic a creature in a close burst 10. In addition to the normal stuff (bonus to bluff to mimic them) the target takes half of any damage you take as psychic feedback, but when you take damage, roll a d20, on a 10+ the effect auto ends. Otherwise it's sustainable. The other option is Spectral Fade, an encounter invisibility until end of turn.

At 6 you can take Shadow Ride. It's an encounter shift 2, you can move through enemy spaces, and you can end a turn in their space. If you do, you move with the enemy without provoking OAs. You pop out of the enemy at the start of your next turn. You can also grab Walk Through Darkness, a daily that gives you 10 shift with phasing and insubstantial.

You only get the summoning of your ally (9/25).

Do Binders still only get Wands & Rods as implements?

Yup.

... So from levels 3 to 6 your encounter powers leave you surge neutral? Ouch! That sucks. (Pun intended). Do you get to spend before or after rolling?

You have to spend when you use the power, so before you roll. So, it's risky as a single target, but using it to attack multiple targets (2 for the first power, all adjacent for the second) may be more enticing.

If you have the time, I'd be curious to hear any details about the Dusk Oracle PP - especially what the features look like.

Dusk Oracle is very cool.

You need Insight and Religion. The bonuses are based on CHA or WIS.

You can ask any intelligent creature's corpse one question they have to answer truthfully (although some will be cryptic) based on what they knew in life. When you spend an action point, your attack targets the enemies lowest NAD. If you grant your ally an attack with the AP (i.e., you are a warlord) you can give that benefit to your ally instead.

Your encounter power is a no action improvement to a basic attack or at-will. It let's you target their lowest NAD nd deals extra necro/cold damage and slows.

Your utility is a daily that gives you stat mod bonus to a skill. You can sustain minor or sustain standard to pick a new skill.

At 16, you reduce opponent's resistances against your attacks by 10 if you have c/a.

At 20, you get a ranged attack that is like a spectral attack. (you attack all three nads. Hit once: damage. Hit twice: target gets -2 to hit (s/e). Hit thrice: weakened ane -2 to hit (s/e both).

Is there some material useful for the Ossassin? EDs or PPs?

Outside of utilities and ki focus expertise.

Dusk Oracle, with the right skills, can be fun.

Shadow Dancer is probably the best example, as Ossassin has an at-will teleport and stealth, so it auto-qualifies.

You gain C/A on your next attack whenever you teleport. Action point let's you teleport 5 before or after the attack. Your encounter is a bit weak ... you teleport and make a basic attack (although it could be ranged basic) and if you hit, the target is teleported and dazed. Your utility chooses a target that you can either teleport to as a move and teleport away from as a minor.

At 16, if you start a turn hidden to a creature at the start of it's turn, you are invisible to it until the end of it's turn. Your daily is a move action where you shift your speed, creating an encounter long zone. It deals cold damage to any enemy in the zone or adjacent to it when you create it. The zone is totaly obscured for enemies, and if an enemy ends his turn in or adjacent gets 10 ongoing cold (s/e). So, it's like a wall, but you design it by shifting and don't have to sustain it.

There is also the veiled master. You need Stealth and Perception.

Once per round you can douse a non-magic light source up to the size of a small campfire and it can't be relit during the encounter. Action point for melee or close weapon attack, the first target hit is blinded until end of next turn.

Your encounter power is str or dex weapon attack, creates a zone close burst 2 of total obscure and block lines of sight to all but you. 12 Utility is an encounter stance to get blindsight 3 and immunity to gaze attacks, but you can't see creatures/objects outside the blindsight's range.

At 16 you only take -2 instead of -5 to attack enemies you can't see. Your daily is like the encounter, but you attack all enemies in the close burst 2, and you can sustain the zone.

None of the epic destinies seem particularly good for Ossassins.

Thanks for the info. What kind of level 29 daily does the blackguard get? Does the blackguard get any class features at paragon and epic that aren't from grim blackguard? Would you say that blackguards are competitive amoung other strikers when it comes to dealing damage?

At 29 they get Avatar of Vice. 5W, half on a miss, effect you get list of benefits for the encounter. CHA mod bonus necro damage on all attacks. Once per turn, when you hit either gain 10 thp, or if the attack already gives thp, gain 5 more thp. If you start a turn with no uses left of drad smite, roll a d6. Recharge on a 5 or 6.

At 13, they get an extra dread smite. At 17, allies that spend a healing surge adjacent to you get Cha mod thp. At 23, your level 1 utility power also let's you teleport 5 squares. At 27 you get resist 20 cold and necrotic.

I'm not sure how well they are for dealing damage. You do have the option of dropping the shield for a two-handed weapon ... so there is a bit of a toughness/damage trade off in the class. They are a VERY tough class for a striker, with defender HP and equipment, PLUS thp ... so comparable to a barbarian I guess. They do get comparable damage bonuses to a slayer, but it does require working for it (combat advantage/damaging yourself) and they have dailies to supplement their damage, which slayers don't, and they have some further damage boosting options in their utilities. I would really think that barbarian is probably the best example, they even have Avatar dailies that are kind of like rages.

I'm buying this book solely for the Necromancer. I don't care for Essentials-style classes, but Necromancers are simply my favorite standard fantasy trope, so I'm going to play one no matter how crappy and option-barren it is, dagnabbit.

With that said... how crappy is it? How option-barren? They're a wizard sub-specialty, so I assume they're still Controllers. Do they have a discernible secondary role, like Striker or Leader? What are its powers like? What is your (admitedly subjective) opinion on their viability?

Option barren? Well, you get 2 at-wills (the one that hasn' been spoiled does untyped damage, and creates difficult terrain for enemies around the target of the attack. For dailies, utilities and encounters, there are two options at every level, one necro, one nether. So, you basically pick 2 schools and pick 1 power for each school.

As far as roles go, they are good at controller and I would say a leader secondary. You have some powers to give yourself or allies thp, actual hp, saving throw, and you impose penalties to hit on opponent's, give them vulnerability, etc ... which is like giving allies bonuses to defenses and damage. Your skeleton is like a defender (their attack prevents shifting, and their OA has a +2 to hit and damage). The Wraith weakens enemies, and bloodied creatures in his aura grant c/a and creatures that end in the aura and adjacent to you take damage.

In terms of powers: They have immobilization, daze, hindering terrain (i.e. zones enemies don't want to be in), slow. The "if opponent is undead" powers generally deal no damage, and instead let you dominate them (or at level one, force them to run away and get dazeds).

They seem pretty cool. They are a mix or control and leader, with the ability to summon defenders.

Is the shade's racial power still a standard action?

Yup

Doe the Starpact Binder get a bunch of radiant damage powers? I'm guessing this subclass build probably has a lot of stuff that an original Starpact Warlock will probably want to completely avoid any con-based powers.

The star pact binder powers have riders that only apply to then (i.e. Binder [Starpact]) so that star pact 'normal' warlocks don't get the rider. Also, as a shadow 'based' pact, it's damage is cold and psychic, no radiant. The flavor is the Far Realm is the "dark between the stars".

Out of curiosity what do the other Evard's Powers do?

Evard's Wrenching Darkness. Encounter 11: Single target ranged, slides and immobilizes and psychic damage on a hit. As an effect, each enemy within 2 squares of the target is pushed 2 squares away from it, and grants C/A until start of your next turn.

Evard's All-Seeing Worm, daily utilty 12: Targe ally takes necro damage equal toint mod, until end of encounter, as long as you have lineof effect to the target, you can see as if you were both people and can attack from either square.

Evard's Black Gate, Daily 20: Wall, squares are totaly obscured. Inside the wall, creatures are dazed and can only attack adjacent creatures. The wall is sustain minor, and has a standard at-will attack. Close burst 5 centered on a square in the wall, all enemies in burst, damages and pulls. If pulled intowall, restrained save ends.

Last edited:

WalterKovacs

First Post
Is there anything Defender-related in the book? We've got two new strikers, a new option for a preexisting striker, a new controller, and a new option for a preexisting leader, but I haven't heard about anything defendery.

Other than some powers available for paladin's (dailies and utilities for cavalier's, and at-wills as well for straight paly's) there is a paragon options that can be good for defenders.

Dark Watcher: 11 feature let's you deal no damage on an OA to instead weaken the enemy until end of your next turn. Your encounter power let's you blind an enemy that attacks your allies. Your utility let's you teleport next to a dying ally and let them spend a surge. 16 gives you a fourth death save fail before you die, and grants allies bonuses to their death saves. Your 20 whammies an enemy (allies get bonus to hit and damage, enemy takes a penalty to it's attacks). Only requirement is good/lawful good alignment, and it's good for leaders and defenders.

The Epic Destinies are all pretty good for defenders (mostly making you tougher, but there are a few ways to protect your allies in there as well).

What are the racial specific feats you mentioned? What do they do?

Revenant feats:

Dark Feasting : Get thp equal to damage dealt with dark reaping racial power

Empowered Reaping : Bonus damage for dark reaping racial power

Past Soul : Gain the racial power for the race you picked for Past Life. You can either use it or dark reaping during an encounter, not both.

ShinQuickMan

First Post
I've some questions about the Death Priest's lv5 and lv 19 dailies. Is the level 5 daily any different from the previewed version? And what does the level 19 version grant you?

Another thing. Are shades still as bad as they were in the preview? More specifically, do they still lack a racial encounter power that actually helps in combat?

WalterKovacs

First Post
I've some questions about the Death Priest's lv5 and lv 19 dailies. Is the level 5 daily any different from the previewed version? And what does the level 19 version grant you?

Another thing. Are shades still as bad as they were in the preview? More specifically, do they still lack a racial encounter power that actually helps in combat?

I'm prety sure the level 5 is the one previewed, single target, damage, half on a miss, first time the target dies it rises as a minion dominated by the cleric with -2 to defenses, counts as an ally, etc. 19 is a blast, deals damage, etc. Creates a zone, the first enemy that dies in the zone is raised as a minion, etc.

Shades are unchanged, unless I miss something. There are more utility power options, but their racial is still a standard action.

gyor

Legend
In a word awesome. I'd give more xp but I can't. The blackguard sounds like the evil love child of Slayer, barbarian, and cavaliers that happened to be born in the shadowfell. Thank you. Does the blackguard get any other summoning powers then servant of vice? What is his 22 utility?

mageta80

First Post
In a word awesome. I'd give more xp but I can't.

This, totally.
Thanks for all the stuff!

Not that I can see. Also, the hexblade weapon powers don't actually have the implement keyword in this book ... so I'm not sure what is up with that.

Whaaaaaaaat ?!?

Ok, now I'm lost... Did they change the whole rule for the Pact Weapon?

I'm thinking of this part:

"When you use a power associated with your pact weapon and the power has both the weapon and the implement keyword, you are considered to be wielding both your pact weapon and your implement for the purpose of feats and other game elements."

Is it still there, or is it a typo?

twilsemail

First Post
Walter, anything you feel like sharing on the veiled master would be appreciated. I'm working on spreading the XP love elsewhere so I can come back to this thread and reward you all proper-like.

WalterKovacs

First Post
In a word awesome. I'd give more xp but I can't. The blackguard sounds like the evil love child of Slayer, barbarian, and cavaliers that happened to be born in the shadowfell. Thank you. Does the blackguard get any other summoning powers then servant of vice? What is his 22 utility?

The only summon is the servant of Vice.

22 You get a utilty based on Vice. For Domination it's Dark Grace, a daily aura 1. If you or an all in the aura hit an enemy, that person gets 5 thp. If an ally in the aura spend a surge, they ony get half the hp, and you get the rest.

For Fury it's a daily aura 2. Creatures other than you in the aura grant c/a. You and allies in aura get damage bonus equal to 2 times the number of enemies in the aura.

Walter, anything you feel like sharing on the veiled master would be appreciated. I'm working on spreading the XP love elsewhere so I can come back to this thread and reward you all proper-like.

You need Stealth and Perception.

Once per round you can douse a non-magic light source up to the size of a small campfire and it can't be relit during the encounter. Action point for melee or close weapon attack, the first target hit is blinded until end of next turn.

Your encounter power is str or dex weapon attack, creates a zone close burst 2 of total obscure and block lines of sight to all but you. 12 Utility is an encounter stance to get blindsight 3 and immunity to gaze attacks, but you can't see creatures/objects outside the blindsight's range.

At 16 you only take -2 instead of -5 to attack enemies you can't see. Your daily is like the encounter, but you attack all enemies in the close burst 2, and you can sustain the zone.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Just another bit of FYI. I was checking the Executioner assassin again, and there WAS an update.

Quick Swap allows you to draw or stow a weapon AND draw another weapon as a single free action, instead of just one of the other. Considering you may be switching between two weapons and a two-handed weapon (to make use of two-weapon defense, but also garotte or blowgun), it's useful. So, you can go to no weapons to both weapons out or swap one weapon for another as a free action, or if you include a minor action in the mix, you can switch between two weapons in hand, and a third two-handed weapon in hand without having to drop anything. Originally I was planning on grabbing Master At Arms to be able to do that, but now I can just go with Ki Focus expertise and thus take the implement based poison attacks.

Remove ads