D&D General "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Greyhawk." (a poll)

True or False: "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Greyhawk."

• True.

Votes: 143 65.9%
  • False.

Votes: 74 34.1%

ThrorII

Adventurer
I played in Greyhawk in the 1980s. I got back in to D&D in the early 2000s. I have run 4 campaigns in D&D in the last decade, and all but 1 has been in Greyhawk, circa 576CY.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I was HEAVILY involved with and ran games in Greyhawk regularly (about 20 years) until I got more involved in Living Greyhawk. That ended in 2003.Then I switched to Hyboria and WFRP for a long time/18yrs.
Recently, I've only run short campaigns for my kid and his friends and anything I run 5e is Gh.

Lord Gosumba

Explorer
The blunt answer is YES. My Order of Ulek Campaign is in its 42nd continuous year, and we are on Adventure #968; estimate is 3,250 sessions. We have multiple adventuring groups, and special groups that get together every few months that include Ed Greenwood (yes Ed plays in my Greyhawk Campaign, in fact next session is Sat evening, Sept 10th), Eric Boyd, Luke Gygax, Anna Meyer, and many other personalities from entertainment and the Twitch Live Stream Community. Greyhawk is such a rich setting, yet there is room to grow and "Make it Your Own", as Gary Gygax once stated. Also, the Community has multiple bloggers, multiple Discords, and many Twitch Live Streamers. We have our own Con as well Virtual Greyhawk Con 2022! Reach out to me if you are interested in participating or joining this vibrant, ever-growing Community!

GH is kinda meat and potatoes but also has its own flavor too. Its sword & sorcery, Fritz Lieber with a bit of, well, what we would see as The Witcher, and some Lovecraftian elements, especially coming off the Wars era into Living Greyhawk.
It's pretty generic, but the essence of D&D. Where the setting shines is when you expand outward beyond that and look at the classic adventures. They're iconic for a reason. … If anyone could get Greyhawk right I think it would be Goodman Games (I'm such a shill).
Totally agree with the parts I quoted.

Reminds me of the joke my dad (an English professor) used to tell about the college student who complained Shakespeare is full of cliches …

Greyhawk is the origin of D&D, so it’s just regular D&D, because everything else was played later. Ed Greenwood had FR in mind before D&D, and Dave Arneson played in Blackmoor first, but Greyhawk was the home world of the first generation of both game designers and players. Everything else was in its wake.

Devin Parker

Explorer
Greyhawk was the setting of the first D&D game I ever played (1st edition AD&D, in the early 80s), and those sessions set my mental template for how to run the game. When I was in art school in the early 2000s I ran a short-lived D&D 3.5 campaign called Pirates of the Aerdi Sea which fell apart due to student workload, too much ruins-exploring and not enough high seas piracy (my fault), and player infighting (not my fault). I still have the banner I made for the promotional flyer:

Pirates-of-the-Aerdi-Sea2.jpg

When Gary Gygax died, I ran a brief adventure or two set in and around the City of Greyhawk in his honor, but it didn't last long. Years later I started running weekly RPGs with my friends online. Starting with a Birthright campaign, I later sat down with Matt Finch's Tome of Adventure Design and generated nine old-school adventure module titles, just for fun. Immediately I got ideas for all of them and started jotting down notes. By the end of the day I had a nine-volume Greyhawk campaign centered around the Yeomanry League. We're currently 3/4ths through the second module I planned, having played our campaign weekly for about three years in real time by now:

YL2 Assault on Witchlight Peak v4.png

Remove ads