• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I just don't see why they even bothered with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

garnuk

First Post
Yeah, but who were you asking? You seem to have someone specific in mind since your last post is made in the second person (e.g. you refer to "you").

For what it's worth, I think that hypotheticals aren't worth very much in a discussion, since they're typically posited to set up some ludicrous example that's extremely unlikely, which I'm guessing is why your question was ignored. That said, the question doesn't make much sense. What would happen to retail outlets if literally all new products were funded via Kickstarter? The answer is nothing, since after they were funded the books would still need to be sold to everyone who wasn't a backer (or was a backer that didn't get that reward). The retailers are still needed just as much as they are otherwise.

Please cite the percentage of successful kickstsater campaigns which sell their products at FLGSs. (In any time period which is at least one month)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Please cite the percentage of successful kickstsater campaigns which sell their products at FLGSs. (In any time period which is at least one month)

Please cite the percentage of FLGSs that have lost money due to their customers supporting Kickstarter campaigns (over any span of time which is at least one month).

garnuk

First Post
I see, so you are deflecting and really don't care about the truth of your argument.
The number of retail stores that have lost money is 100%
The number of kickstarters that sell products in LFGS is about 2%

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I see, so you are deflecting and really don't care about the truth of your argument.

Pot calling the kettle black is not a valid rebuttal.

The number of retail stores that have lost money is 100%

Failure to cite sources.

The number of kickstarters that sell products in LFGS is about 2%

Further failure to cite sources. At this point you do not have a counterargument, much less a valid one.

Mirtek

Hero
Pot calling the kettle black is not a valid rebuttal.
Actually it is, that's why this saying ####

That the pot may be black himself doesn't make the cattle any less black.
In fact, it doesn't.You actually seem to be getting it, here. Kickstarter unto itself doesn't sell anything, acting only as a "mediator" between companies and those who would fund their projects. That's different from a retail outlet, as a retailer will be selling the items on their own.
Not neccessarily. Retail outlets can sell goods on commission, but that's not the point.

The point is that WotC selling via kickstarter would be WotC engaging in direct retail sales to the endcustomer going around any of their current retail partners. Same was if WotC would start putting items on ebay.
That's another way you know that crowd-funding is not retail.
It is. Providing the servie that makes crowdfunding easier is not, but the act of crowdfunding (which is not what kickstarter does) is nothing but a form of retailing that the companies using the KS platform engage in

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Actually it is, that's why this saying ####

That the pot may be black himself doesn't make the cattle any less black.

Wait, you think that the pot calling the "cattle" black is a good rebuttal argument?

Not neccessarily. Retail outlets can sell goods on commission, but that's not the point.

It's absolutely not the point, since Kickstarter doesn't work by commission.

The point is that WotC selling via kickstarter would be WotC engaging in direct retail sales to the endcustomer going around any of their current retail partners. Same was if WotC would start putting items on ebay.

That's not even remotely the same. If WotC was funding a particular book via Kickstarter, it would be engaging in crowd-funding, but there'd be no actual sales going on, though there might be options to receive various rewards for various levels of pledges. That's fundamentally different from what goes on on eBay, even if some people can't tell the difference.

It's not.

Providing the servie that makes crowdfunding easier is not, but the act of crowdfunding (which is not what kickstarter does) is nothing but a form of retailing that the companies using the KS platform engage in

Crowd-funding is all that Kickstarter does. The platform is not designed, nor is it able to engage, in any sort of retail sales. That's why you can't buy products there, you can only fund the creation of products that don't exist yet, though you might be rewarded for doing so later on.

Hussar

Legend
Now, I want you to repeat this over and over again whenever you (or someone else) complains the next AP or sourcebook is set in the Forgotten Realms and not Eberron, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc...

When have you ever seen me complain about the AP's or sourcebooks? I choose whatever I want to play. If WotC isn't offering something I want to buy, I don't buy it. No skin off my nose. It frankly baffles me when people get in a huff about stuff like this.

Corpsetaker

First Post
People!

This whole Kickstarter taking away from shops has no factual data to back it up. You people are arguing about Kickstarter when it's actually sites like Amazon that actually, and with data to back it up, take sales away from gaming shops. If WoTc really wanted to support those shops then they wouldn't sell to Amazon.

FACT is, D&D does not keep shops from going out of business unless it is some D&D only store. Kickstarters are for people who do not want to have to go through a middle man in order to get their product funded. I could write my own novel, throw it up on Kickstarter, raise the funds, and use those funds to get it printed and possibly write more novels. It doesn't take away from bookstores if my novel is done through Kickstarter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads