D&D 5E I just don't see why they even bothered with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
And the difference between a blog and an article is?

That one is an opinion piece of a single person, whereas the other can represent the findings of the institution.

That's an additional hominim fallacy. Castinbg doubt on the author without actually arguing against any of their points.

Incorrect. Noting that some guy is some guy, and not representative of the entire institute, is a statement of fact. Stating that it's an ad hominem is itself a strawman fallacy.

Your previous response was also begging the question (Kickstarter isn't as store because they say they're not a store). Do you have any non-fallacious arguments to make?

So you think that someone stating what sort of business they're running isn't a credible statement as to what kind of business they're running? You need to double-check on what a "fallacious argument" is, unless you're trying to demonstrate them by example.

I would agree that Kickstarter is not *just* a store, or is not a traditional store, in the same way eBay is not a store. But it can be used as such. And RPG companies in particular are employing it as an e-store.

And yet they say otherwise, but please, tell us how you know what Kickstarter is better than Kickstarter itself.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Amazon items also sometimes end up in stores. Are you suggesting Amazon does not compete with stores?

False equivalence fallacy. Amazon does not fund the creation of items; Kickstarter does. When those items that are Kickstarted go to a store, there's no alternative venue available in Kickstarter, but there is on Amazon.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Fascinating... In that quote, he explicitly says that Kickstarter itself does not do what he would call "a form of retailing", which itself is not the same as "is a retail store".

Incredible... He flat-out says that Kickstarter does not engage in "the act of crowdfunding (which is not what kickstarter does)" before he then says that it's instead a platform for retail sales, and yet you've managed to read the opposite.

Rather its the company that makes the product who is engaged in a form of retailing.. which again is not the same as saying that the company who started the project, nor Kickstarter is a retail store.

I don't think you've thought this through; if neither the company nor Kickstarter are retailing, then who is under the scenario that is being purported?

He spent the time and effort to qualify his statement, I find it kind of rude to claim it says something that it goes out of its way to not say.

I think it's rather rude for you to mischaracterize his statement so badly that you've read the exact opposite of what he stated.

Mirtek

Hero
Th.So you think that someone stating what sort of business they're running isn't a credible statement as to what kind of business they're running?
The IRS has an entire department to tell people whether they are running the kind if business they calim/think they are running or actually run something different

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The IRS has an entire department to tell people whether they are running the kind if business they calim/think they are running or actually run something different

The implication being that you, or The Economist, is a branch of the IRS?

Mirtek

Hero
The implication being that you, or The Economist, is a branch of the IRS?
No the implication is that it dies not matter what people/Institution say that they are or want to be but what they actually do. And in the end they're classified by finance and trade law and not by mission&vision statements on a nice website

Mirtek

Hero
No, it wasn't. What happened between the patron and the company was the patron paying to fund a project.
no, the patron bought the goods offered at the relevant pledged level.

Which isn't what happens with Kickstarter projects.You still haven't proven that something that's taxed as income necessarily indicates that the transaction was a retail purchase. Without making that correlation (which you're not able to make) your entire tangent of "but the tax code!" doesn't hold water. If you have to admit that there's an exception, due to other instances of giving money and receiving something for it in return, then your entire argument falls apart.
no it validates my Argument. If your transaction of money for good is mit taxed as a sale it's not a sale. If your transaction if money for good is taxed as a sale it's a sale. KS pledged are taxed as sale.
See above. The method of taxation does not necessarily indicate the type of transaction that took place. We know this to be true, because (as already noted) there are other types of "money for stuff" transactions that are not taxed as income
no that is how it works as a prove since it differentiates the sales from the other kind of transactions.

No, you don't. You're not "buying" anything. You're receiving a reward in exchange for having funded something else.
. If you commission something from someone, that person does not become your employee.
from contract law point of view he does. You seem to be confusing different levels of employment.

As a contractor you do work for me for the contracted project despite out relationship being different from a full time employee whith whom i have a different set if rights and obligations

In neither case do they actually work for you, the way you're asserting that the companies that use Kickstarter become employed by the people who fund them.
they are required to use the money to provide the people with the agreed upon goods

There's so many "Lara Croft, Fund Raider" jokes that I don't know where to begin. :DD
try typing on a 4" screen against an autocorrect set to non-english and see what comes out for you
That said, they do this by having individuals fund them, and while they might offer rewards in return for this, no retail sales are taking place. Even if they are entering into a legal contract to provide those rewards at a later date, that's still not the same as a retail sale.
at this point it is.

Which is you moving the goalposts, since you were citing the "legal definition of a pre-order" before.
a pre order is a purchase order placed for an item not yet created.
As it is, a "purchase order" is simply a contract regarding a fiscal transaction, and does not classify either party as being a "retailer" per se.
now we're getting somewhere. A purchase order means you made a sale, mit a donation, mit a funding but a sale. Whether you're a retailer vor a wholeseller depends if you primarily send to endcustomer or other businesses
Except that they're not "selling" anything, since no sales are taking place. Likewise, this does not change the existing distribution model since by the time rewards are delivered it is no longer possible to acquire anything from Kickstarter anyway. So by the time stores would receive those products (if they ever were), Kickstarter is self-evidently not an alternative venue.
they are and it is. If i buy a pledge level from WotC that gives me an FRCS i have bought a FRCS directly from then and not from a store. And stores won't be happy about this change in WotCs distribution model.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I feel foolish. It took me two days to figure out I was trying to have a conversation with a troll. Well done sir.

Did you somehow miss my comment upthread about being respectful and civil? Or, did you somehow come under the misapprehension that it didn't apply to you?

Let us be clear: We expect *all* users to treat each other in a civil and respectful manner. If you don't feel they are due such, you shouldn't be speaking with them at all. This applies to *everyone*, even if we've only used one or two examples in a thread.

Remove ads