D&D Movie/TV I just watched the whole D&D Cartoon Series for the First Time, review.

Clint_L

Hero
I cannot tell you how much I hated this cartoon back in the day. Dragon magazine kept teasing fans with hints about big budget Hollywood films that Gygax was working on, and then all we got was this badly written and animated cartoon that, to us, made D&D look like a pastime for kiddies. It was an embarrassment.

Now, I think it's hilarious that I cared one way or the other. I still think the show is terrible, though.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, back in the day, as a veteran D&D player (at all of 13...), I hated the show - except the episode with the Skeleton Warrior. It's grown on me since then, especially as my kids grew up watching it.

I would also like to note that the Cartoon came out in '83. Forgotten Realms wasn't released until '87, so there was no way they could have been connected.

I cannot tell you how much I hated this cartoon back in the day. Dragon magazine kept teasing fans with hints about big budget Hollywood films that Gygax was working on, and then all we got was this badly written and animated cartoon that, to us, made D&D look like a pastime for kiddies. It was an embarrassment.

Now, I think it's hilarious that I cared one way or the other. I still think the show is terrible, though.
I loved the show and still enjoy it. Though my avatar probably gave that away.

I watched it when I was a child. Then the TTRPGs were totally unknown in Spain. My other contact with D&D were my collection of Endless Quest gamebooks. Names as Greyhawk, Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms were totally unknown. When Dragolance was published in Spain, I totally unknow the link with D&D.

For somebody born in a later decade the old 80's cartoon was "bad" technically, but it is my favorite, because this showed a lot of imagination. There was a sense of wonder and fantasy I can't find in the rest of cartoons.

I want to believe in the end the children returned to home.

If there is a new isekai kid-friendly D&D cartoon, I suggest a different group each season, to promote different classes and species. The group should be a mixture of humans from our world, and some native no-humanoids.

* In an episode Sheila could notice a trap.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I was 11 or 12 when it came out and I loved it. Sure, I knew then that it got things "wrong" (hook horrors don't screech, they click their exoskeletal plates!) but just as a source of ideas for my D&D middle school games, it was totally worth the 30 minutes of my time.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I was 8 when this was on, and I hated it. My experience of children's programming was Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Time Bandits, and especially Doctor Who episodes on PBS which made a point of brutally killing most of the guest cast by the end of each serial so Peter Davison could sadly shake his head at the bleak futility of existence and shuffle back into the Tardis. This seemed hopelessly tame and saccharine in comparison. I might enjoy it now because at 46 I'm less jaded than I was when I was 8.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases