I know thread doesnt belong hear, but few read homebrew. Ranger overhaul

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Is it better for you, is the question :)

As for the 5 or 6 ASI, I tend to think of Rangers as Fighter/Rogues...no spellcasting required. So I guess I'd say, keep the 6 ASI if you aren't making spells an integral part of the base class and take out the 10th level (which I think you did)if you are using spells.

I took out the 10th level as I included spells.

I would think that a 10th level ASI is not enough to replace spells. That would be mind boggling to balance for me

I do like it as it is more stream lined thanks to your suggestions. But I also want to create one that most (100% is impossible) will agree is balanced and OP (though I know Swift of Foot is still debatable). I want to create what I envision a Ranger to be.

The only other way was multiclass Ranger/Rogue/Druid (minus shape changing) which I would find troubling and aggravating.

Macv12

First Post
I wasn't aware about the swashbuckler, I don't have SCAG. Thanks.

Skirmisher's Stealth is uniquely valuable to melee rangers because it lets them attack with advantage for being hidden, with their melee weapon, then scurry away and hide again (importantly, without ever having been detected, if they succeed at the re-stealth roll). Unless your DM is particularly cruel, it also achieves an effect similar to Swift of Foot, in that enemies have no business making OAs against you when you're hidden from them. I wouldn't overlook it, it's pretty cool.

Most of the "duplicate" features you mention are similar but not the same effect, stack with each other, or they have very mundane effects that aren't unique to feats (save proficiency, skill proficiency, etc). The feature in question is pretty specific. Fancy Footwork may be official material now, but I still think it's poor design to duplicate that effect exactly. But to be clear, I don't think it's unbalanced. Just inelegant. I won't harp on it anymore.

One thing I forgot to mention: I would leave the choice of Expertise skills free. Some rangers might be all about hunting and surviving but not know the name of that one mushroom that you use when you touch poison ivy, or why that works, you know? Or the one thing they know more than anything is how to care for, train, and ride horses. Or if they have some other oddball take on their ranger, that should be fine too.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I wasn't aware about the swashbuckler, I don't have SCAG. Thanks.

Skirmisher's Stealth is uniquely valuable to melee rangers because it lets them attack with advantage for being hidden, with their melee weapon, then scurry away and hide again (importantly, without ever having been detected, if they succeed at the re-stealth roll). Unless your DM is particularly cruel, it also achieves an effect similar to Swift of Foot, in that enemies have no business making OAs against you when you're hidden from them. I wouldn't overlook it, it's pretty cool.

But then he would get an OP on him. Also, depending on movement, he may not be able to hide again as he is in direct sight. I see it as a one time thing with advantage for being hidden, then not usable. Especially if fighting hordes. Still favors Archers far and away

Thank you for your suggestions and help

Remove ads