• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I know thread doesnt belong hear, but few read homebrew. Ranger overhaul

renevq

Explorer
Hi, I'm also working on a tweak to the Ranger class (given that I love it thematically but as is needs to be CharOp-ed to compete with the other classes in combat). Here's what I have for level 20 seeing as Foe Slayer is so... Meh

Peerless Tracker: You can never gain disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) and Wisdom (Survival) checks, and creatures cannot evade your tracking by any means, magical or otherwise. Additionally, enemies under your Hunter’s Mark always count as Favored Enemies (if it already is a Favored Enemy, increase damage to 1d10 [//I made Hunter's Mark a Class Ability with added damage and tracking bounses against Favored Enemies]); you always know which direction they are in regardless of distance, and if they are in a different plane you know which one.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
How about make the off hand attack part of attack action at 11th level. That way it is on par with Paladin's Improved Devine Smite and Fighter's 3rd attack?

Macv12

First Post
I wouldn't worry about having 2 features at level 3. It's after that where you need to be careful. Levels 1-3 is where a class comes fully "online" and some classes need more stuff to do that; monks, for example. Natural Explorer is definitely something a ranger should pick up early.

Swift of Foot is still a problem for me. That swashbucklers get a feature like that is immaterial, as far as I'm aware they're still a playtest material and not a good benchmark for what's balanced. But if you were going to draw from playtest material, I would go for Skirmisher's Stealth from the ranger redux, which is also a mobility-based feature but doesn't duplicate a feat.

On TWF, I think making the offhand attack part of the attack action instead of a bonus action is fine. It doesn't really save the TWF style, though. Its problem is that it adds flat damage to one specific attack that you must use both your action and bonus action to invoke. As opposed to the GWF style, which boosts all dice rolled for all attacks you make, or Archery, which effectively boosts all damage, flat or otherwise, on all your attacks (by making it more likely to connect). Maybe, instead of adding your modifier to offhand attacks, the TWF style could let you make a second attack roll for offhand damage (no modifier) once per turn when you make an attack. This would let it work on opportunity attacks as well, but prevent it from triggering 80 times when a fighter goes nova.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
The reason I did not select Skirmishers Stealth is that it favors archers only. A melee weapon character can not hide in front of his opponent.

By the way, it is a variant of the Skulkers feat in which you can remain hidden after a ranged attack.

Some abilities are varied of feats:

Barbarian has danger sense which is like a less version of Dungeon Delver. The feral instinct is like Alert feat, instead of +5 initiative, they have advantage. They have brutal critical which is a part of the Great Weapon Master feat. And the fast movement is part of the mobile feat

The bard's College of Lore 3rd level ability is the Skilled feat

The Battle Master combat superiority is available as a feat

The Rogues Swashbuckler Fancy Footwork is the actual Mobile feat minus the speed
Evasion is a modified part of Shield master feat without the shield. Slippery mind is the Resilient feat for Wisdom. Elusive has the Alert feat of no advantage on attacks against you. Stroke of luck is one use of Lucky feat.

So there are fears in some classes abilities, or a variant

Last edited:

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Matthan I think the action economy is well balanced so I'm seeing it from that angle. What your option does is free up the bonus action which I feel would push TWF into best option territory especially with multi-classing. A lot of neat tricks are balanced by the action economy. For your group and table said:
The Rogue Swashbuckler from SCAG already did that with Fancy Footwork. TWF then able to disengage without an OA. Then has free use of cunning action

Last edited:

ScuroNotte

Explorer
increasing to something super cool instead. As noted multiple times, the existing PHB ranger capstone is fairly blah.)

That gives you, 6 or 7 levels of base class features, 6 levels of ASI (mandatory, as with all other classes), 5 Archetype features (2 at 3rd level +3 more, 1 per level), 4 levels of increasing base class features (1, almost certainly, is more preferred terrains for Natural Explorer), 1 or 2 possible levels of increasing archetype features (if you have something that it makes sense to "scale" as they level.)

All but Fightes & Rogues get 5 ASI at 4,8,12,16,19

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Is it better for you, is the question :)

As for the 5 or 6 ASI, I tend to think of Rangers as Fighter/Rogues...no spellcasting required. So I guess I'd say, keep the 6 ASI if you aren't making spells an integral part of the base class and take out the 10th level (which I think you did)if you are using spells.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Is it better for you, is the question :)

As for the 5 or 6 ASI, I tend to think of Rangers as Fighter/Rogues...no spellcasting required. So I guess I'd say, keep the 6 ASI if you aren't making spells an integral part of the base class and take out the 10th level (which I think you did)if you are using spells.

I took out the 10th level as I included spells.

I would think that a 10th level ASI is not enough to replace spells. That would be mind boggling to balance for me

I do like it as it is more stream lined thanks to your suggestions. But I also want to create one that most (100% is impossible) will agree is balanced and OP (though I know Swift of Foot is still debatable). I want to create what I envision a Ranger to be.

The only other way was multiclass Ranger/Rogue and maybe Druid (minus shape changing) which I would find troubling and aggravating.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads