I love D&D.....but.

thorgrit

Explorer
It's not wrong to want to seek other things. I don't like the initiative system either - or rather, I found I like Savage Worlds's better, so I houseruled that in to my current game. I've never played or run a game where PCs got high enough level as to gain the power of demigods, and I likely never will.

If you want to add to your list of other systems to check out, put Dungeon World on it. It's Powered by the Apocalypse engine, which is more narrative focused than combat simulation, but I've heard it really scratches that D&D dungeon-crawling itch.

Coroc

Hero
Stay oldschool is my advice. Put your creativity in creating a low Magic stetting or modify an official Setting to a lowmagic world. It is far more easy than you think. Restrict classes, reduce number of nonhumans in parties, make Magic rare there you go. Of course you need mature Players for this who like a challenge.

After a while use another campaign where anything goes for a change, all the flashy stuff tiefling, halfgenasi and psionic ninja mutant pirate hobbits.

Both styles have their own advantages and nice in-game moments.

Delazar78

First Post
I don't know, I have a feel that old-school was way more high-magic that new-school. My 2e wizard could cut the tip of mountains, reverse them, and build cities on it! And don't get me started on my wizard/psionicist (dragon king from Athas).

Now all the most powerful spell in the game can do is emulate a lower level spell, or you run the chance to not be able to cast it. EVER. AGAIN.

Regarding OP, yeah, explore other games. I'm collecting The One Ring (from Cubicle7) just because I like to read those books, but the system is really solid, and there's a lot of published scenarios.

RPGs are made for you to have a good time. So, go and have a good time!

Wightbred

Explorer
I’ve felt this before, and with every edition. I usually take a break and then eventually come back when D&D feels fun again.

Definitely a lot of fun other options if you want to keep playing but take a break from D&D. Dungeon World is good, but so is something completely different that shakes up your perceptions like Fiasco. Or just hit some fun board games.

Talk honestly about how you feel with the people you play with and get their support.

Whatever you decide, don’t worry about it too much. It will pass or you’ll find something else to get passionate about.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The reason there are so many RPGs is because for everyone one of them, someone said "My RPG itch is not getting scratched. What would?". There's no shame in not digging any particular one. 5e does have a lot of players so it's easier then most to find a game, but that doesn't mean you need to play it. The one caveat to playing other games is that often you either need to convince someone to run or run it yourself.

If you're looking for something close to D&D but isn't 5e, I'd suggest 13th Age. But from your description that might be too close to D&D in terms of mechanics. On the other hand, it might be just a fresh take on it you want.

Looking at the list of what you like, it seems the fantasy genre is where you want to stay. Luckily, there are plenty of games out there. A previous poster mentioned Dungeon World, and anything Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA) will have a very different feel than D&D. That will have a lighter, more narrative feel as well as putting much more control in the player's hands about the direction of the campaign.

If you like crunchy on the other hand, tightly integrated with the setting, there are a number of different versions of Warhammer Fantasy out there. Just reaching as far as I can in the opposite direction as DW that's still well known.

Fate & Fate: Accelerated Edition (FAE) both can do fantasy, and there's both published and free fan-created content for shaping the rules to match the flavor and setting you want. Savage Worlds and other general systems can do the same.

There's lots more options out there, especially if you want to explore other genres as well. Take a vacation from D&D and explore new games.

Best of luck!

jgsugden

Legend
There are basic rules out there for a umber of systems. Try them out. GURPs, with low magic and shorter 'rounds' may be more your cup of tea. However, I posit that it may not be the system you need to shake up, but the campaign structure. All of these are RPGs. Role playing games. Our characters are filing roles in a story. The rule system influences the story, but the core of the story is in our hands and often can have a greater influence on our fun than we realize. Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater by paying for and learning a new system, try a well reviewed prepublished adventure (if you have not already done so).

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Having made a similar statement when I finally let go if the D&D ball-n-chain, I can relate to this sentiment of breaking up with a long-time interest. I'll just add to what others are already saying: try something new! I have discovered the narrative dice system from FFG not only appeals to a style of roleplaying I had not thought available and closer to my own preferences, but also re-ignited my childhood love for Star Wars. I've even found to have a greater appreciation for more board games for entertainment and enjoyment I can share in a more casual manner while still getting my gaming fix. D&D is great, but it is not the whole picture. Let go, or even just branch out. Find your own path.

Remove ads