I must protest. The drow are not like that!

VirgilCaine

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
Secondly, I assume that perhaps the attitude of the spiders could be the result of training. Like a dog, for example. Depending on how you train it, it could be a mean, vicious animal or a nice, cuddly pet.

sjgames.com has a Warehouse 23 box contents generator: A normal, friendly puppy...in the body of a large (1' diameter) red spider.

A MAGICAL spider...with Alignment Reversal bit the first drow. This bite corrupted the entire race. The drow are into decieving people also.

"Evil? Moi? No I am a harmless spider that is timid and only attacks if her family is attacked. "

Meanwhile, as Lolth is saying this, she is withdrawing the poisoned blade from your heart.

Sorry- that was uncalled for. Often it is about common knowledge and intimidation / coolness factor.

And don't forget my best words of wisdom-

"PERCEPTION of truth is greater than the truth."

and as someone said...its a game. Go with it. Still- neat info.

ssampier

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
First of all, it's a fantasy world, so anything goes, even if it wouldn't normally make sense.

Secondly, I assume that perhaps the attitude of the spiders could be the result of training. Like a dog, for example. Depending on how you train it, it could be a mean, vicious animal or a nice, cuddly pet. I see no reason why a race focusing purely on spiders couldn't, after a few generations or so, turn the spiders into exactly what they want them to be for. Perhaps it's a sort of forced evolution, or perhaps its merely the result of very dedicated training since birth.

[College Major hat on]
In humans (and presumably other creatures of human-intelligence) as a group it is called socialization. It is not training in the traditional sense since socialization is usually informal* and usually learned from subtle cues, gestures, speech patterns, etc (you grow up in a family of nice people, you tend to behave nicely).

Psychologists have a different term, but their focus is usually on the individual, not on the group as a whole.
[/major hat]

*the exceptions are Total Institutions such as prisons, monastaries, or the military, where the process of re-socialization is built into their routine systems.

Last edited:

Turjan

Explorer
Dog_Moon2003 said:
First of all, it's a fantasy world, so anything goes, even if it wouldn't normally make sense.
You noticed that this thread wears the 'humor' tag ;)? I'm just surprised that nobody tried to imagine a shy and timid black widow the size of a car :D.

This said, thanks to Edena for that lovely write-up :)!

the Jester

Legend
Why is it you think Drow are modeled after black widows?

In fact, EGG's original treatment of the Drow had them as demon-worshipers, with ONE faction Lolthists. Why do you equate this one faction with all Drow, and with black widows? Why not with some more aggressive hunting spider type?

Turjan

Explorer
the Jester said:
Why is it you think Drow are modeled after black widows?
The color black, the deadly dominance of the females?

In fact, EGG's original treatment of the Drow had them as demon-worshipers, with ONE faction Lolthists. Why do you equate this one faction with all Drow, and with black widows?
Well, let's face it, that's what drow are mostly reduced to at the current time. And isn't Edena fighting this "wrong" stereotype himself :D?

Why not with some more aggressive hunting spider type?
Which aggressive hunting spider types? Tarantulas are great pets :).

Last edited:

Remove ads