• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I must protest. The drow are not like that!

VirgilCaine

First Post
Lela said:
My family is known for it's etimology hobbies and my brothers and uncles have literally thousands of insects and arachneds pinned in boxes and stored in various basements. Personally, I never fealt all that drawn to it.

It's entomology. And damn your family is weird.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Folks, if drow are black widow spiders, then you are a fruit fly. A fat, juicy fruit fly. When's the last time you saw a black widow spider act shy and retiring around a fruit fly?

Storyteller01

First Post
Lela said:
One thing we've done more than a few times is catch a Black Widow and drop it in some form of cage. We fed it some flies, crickets, and other such things. After it had a good web built up (sometimes) we drop in a praying mantis and watch the show.

The spiders, every single time, won easily. It didn't matter if they had a web, if we'd forgotten to feed them for a week, or if they were missing a leg or two. They kicked trash. And got very fat doing it.

Seems protecting themselves isn't a problem.

Ever try it with 'daddy long legs and other spiders? Show gets a bit more interesting. ;)

Clavis

First Post
The Drow, as developed past Gygax's original conception, always struck me a big Goth FemDom fantasy. Hence the whole Black Widow eating the male thing. Of course, there's nothing wrong with Goth FemDom fantasies, just nobody ever seems like they want to admit that's what's going on. Personally, I always just went with it, and had the Drow walking around in what amounted to BDSM fetish gear.

Last edited:

The_Magician

First Post
I have arachnophobia, so I dont believe that black widows are shy. =P To me, all spiders are evil. Everytime I see a spider I picture it flying to my face, biting me and making my face melt with its poison. Heck, if I just touch a web, or think what i touched was a web, i run to the hills screaming like a girl. =P

Incidentally, elves will also sometimes get into clothes and shoes and then when you start putting them on, you start crushing them sometimes and they start stabbing you with magic weapons. So just, you know, be aware of that.

Voadam

Legend
Edena_of_Neith said:
(humor)

and also she is accustomed to only injecting enough to paralyze her victims, so she can eat them alive or leave them for her offspring to eat (typical, apparently, for many spiders.)

You are right, the dark elves use their sleep poison so they can eat you alive or give you to their children to be eaten alive. They have been completely misrepresented as capturing people for use as slaves.

Remove ads