• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I must protest. The drow are not like that!

Storyteller01

First Post
Lela said:
Really? I'll have to recomend it to my brothers. Does the mantis have a chance?

Don't know about the mantis, but the spider get trounsed by the daddy long leg more often than not. Rumor has it on my end of the states that 'daddy long legs spiders have the most potent venom, but their jaws are too small to damage humans. Might be why they win...

ssampier

First Post
Lela said:
Savage and violent, as usual.

It's the thought--built up very, very, subtly throughout the series--of an entire race forced to live in caves, soaking in squallier, with no chance to make something of themselves. Is it any wonder they get angry and attack?

It's the dwarves and elves who have subjugated these souls and we accept it because we don't like the way they look or talk. Really, these elves are out of hand.

Communist-revolutionary orcs! The elven proletariat must be stopped. The orcs have nothing to lose but their tusks! Orcs of the world unite! :lol:

genshou

First Post
This is a very excellent idea and I'd best keep it a secret from my player as he is nowhere near high enough level to be in the Underdark. But soon, oh yes... :)

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
(humor)

Edena_of_Neith here. I have moved down to Southwest Florida, and because of this I have been required to do some research on widow spiders. We have three kinds here: the black widow,

[snip]

Actually, it sounds to me like drow society is full of dastardly, chivalrous men and shy, gentle, comely ladies. It sounds like they are a very loving, very children friendly society.
A long way from those snide, arrogant, elitist, racist elves who dare to call themselves the Fair Folk.

Edena_of_Neith

Attempt at humor or not, I think that this was a very cool, creative, _usable_ idea.

I've often struggled with designing cultures. I think that interacting with people/monsters/whatever of different cultures can be one of the neatest parts of RPG's, but being a human being, it's tough for me to think out of the box and come up with something that's not modeled on humans, a parody of humans, or based on one facet of humanity. It doesn't help, either, that the Godfather of the genre used the "aspect" method to create the cultures of his major races.

I may take this idea and run with it to see if I can come up with some truly alien cultures.

Thanks, Edena.

Lela

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
Don't know about the mantis, but the spider get trounsed by the daddy long leg more often than not. Rumor has it on my end of the states that 'daddy long legs spiders have the most potent venom, but their jaws are too small to damage humans. Might be why they win...
At least with the spider version of the daddy, the mouth size is pure rumor. I'm not sure if they have poisen or if said poisen is dangerious to humans (it's similar to an alergic response, some species just don't have it) but their mouth is average to large size for spiders. They're generally very docile around us though.

Still, they're just as fast as the widow. And have a longer reach. We all know what advantage that gives. ;)

Hussar

Legend
Way cool idea. Imagine what a conclave of these kind of drow would be like. Then have the party come busting in ready for bear. It would be like kicking puppies. Watch the paladin squirm as the drow burst into tears when he tells them he's going to lay some righteous gluteous prodding.

I love it. Nothing like playing on player expectations and sticking it to the meta-gamers.

Two thumbs up.

ssampier

First Post
Lela said:
At least with the spider version of the daddy, the mouth size is pure rumor. I'm not sure if they have poisen or if said poisen is dangerious to humans (it's similar to an alergic response, some species just don't have it) but their mouth is average to large size for spiders. They're generally very docile around us though.

Still, they're just as fast as the widow. And have a longer reach. We all know what advantage that gives. ;)

They had an episode of Myth Busters where they verified the daddy long-legs is not dangerous to humans; its fangs are normal sized, as you mentioned, but is poison its extremely mild.

William Ronald

Explorer
Hussar said:
Way cool idea. Imagine what a conclave of these kind of drow would be like. Then have the party come busting in ready for bear. It would be like kicking puppies. Watch the paladin squirm as the drow burst into tears when he tells them he's going to lay some righteous gluteous prodding.

I love it. Nothing like playing on player expectations and sticking it to the meta-gamers.

Two thumbs up.

I think DMs need to be willing to alter fantasy tropes as fit their campaigns. It can have several good effects.

First, a DM can craft entire species and cultures to fit individual visions. For example, a world with many differetnt drow societies (much like the diverse human cultures of our own world) might be a much more interesting place to visit than one where an entire species is almost utterly predictable in its actions. (Edena, Lolth IS in some ways very predictable.... which is why a rival spider deity might get the upper hand. Particularly if they could offer a few practical things -- food, trade -- to self-interested drow. ("Hmm, more wealth for me and food for my offspring and myself --- and I don't have to put up with these priestesses. Hmm, maybe we can overthrow them and take their welath. Where do I sign up?" ;) )

Also, if "standard" versions of the races in the Monster Manual or other works exist, it might make sense to come up with good rationales and histories. For example, hostile orcs might be oppressed, have bad leaders, or have dark gods who try to install hate into them -- aided by orcish leaders. (Edena, as I recall, aren't there a small group of orcish pacifists in the Forgotten Realms who follow the teachings of Eldath, goddess of peace and water, who were converted from violence by the elves of Myth Drannor? )

Additionally, a DM can give players moral dilemmas. For example, if a character who has fought evil drow finds a neutral or even good community of drow who needs his help, how does a supposedly good character react. Does the character ignore their needs, or learn to put prejudice aside? So, I think a willingness to reconsider a few standard interpretations of creatures and classes might lead to a sense of wonder and mystery in a game. This can add to the fun of the players and the DMs. I think that good DMs can ask questions, and surprise their players every now and then. (Hmm, I wonder how a few PCs might react if they encountered a group of drow that treated them with respect, honoring their reputations as great heroes? At least it might shock a few complacent players.)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
My appreciations on the compliments. A big thank you, folks.
Sometimes, my thoughts seem to hit a chord with some people. Usually, it's the humorous ones that do (the IR was such.) And I am really flattered that people want to take my idea and use it in their games: I take that as a big compliment. Thanks again.

Now that some of you are seriously considering taking the modified drow idea and running with it, what do you plan on doing with it specifically? Or do you have any general ideas?
I'm just curious, is all. I'd like to know where your imaginations are going here. It is pleasant to listen to others describe their ideas.

Edena_of_Neith :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Edena,

I must protest this propoganda you are spewing. Loving drow my right foot! Just ask Orcus how "nice" they are.

*can't wait until the Demon Prince of the Undead stomp some serious mud holes in the drow panethon*

Remove ads