• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I must protest. The drow are not like that!

Sanackranib

First Post
the Jester said:
Well, I'm no expert on spiders, but I'm pretty sure there are species that do in fact hunt their prey.

there is the "wolf sspider" a non web spinng hunting spider similar to the "steaders" the drugar train as mounts

Lela

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
Well now ... orcs ARE misunderstood, but that's another story for a new thread ... :)

He's right. Heck, just reading the Hunters Blades Trilogy brought me partially to that conclusion.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Lela
He's right. Heck, just reading the Hunters Blades Trilogy brought me partially to that conclusion.

I'm not familiar with that series? How are Orcs portrayed in there?

Satori

First Post
Bravo!!

Incidentally, I typically use the "Lloth Evil People" as simply one faction of Dark Elves. Only these guys are as insane and nasty as RA Salvatore claims.

While hardly good, pristine, and pure, the other clans are less "Demonic" and more "Opportunistic". They're survivors, plain and simple, and basically control the seedier workings of "Underneath" (with Dwarves doing the more mainstream trading/forging/etc).

Still, I had a fixation on Arachnids when I was much younger, so I definately appreciate the more logical view of a Spider modeled race.

Voadam

Legend
Sanackranib said:
*sigh* next we weill be hearning that orc's are just "misunderstood"

Well of course they are. With those big tusks getting in the way of properly forming words how do you expect anybody to undestand what an orc is saying?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Someone said that Gary's original vision of Drow was as demon-worshippers; if I recall correctly, Erelhei-Cinlu was a city definitely dedicated to the worship of Lolth, and the worshippers of demons and the Elder Elemental God (house Eilservs, head was Eclavdra, if I remember) were the aberrants, who tried to keep this fact secret from the other drow.

Eclavdra was the one with the "demon boy-toy" bound to her bed, if I remember. :eek:

Edena, thanks for the info - now there's an interesting idea, one I could work into the whole Araushnee/Lolth myth. As it is, Araushnee became Lolth in the Realms, but what if Lolth stole Araushnee's worshippers and portfolio, and there's only a slim number of "true purists" left, who are devoted to the Spider-goddess' original aspect of being peaceful except when threatened. :)

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Hmmm ...

It would be genuinely interesting if a true Spider Deity, who actually WAS shy, peaceful, and gentle (but with a nasty bite!) woed the drow away from Lolth, to attempt to create a drow society vaguely (or even partially) similar to the humorous one I described.
Because if this started to happen, all chaos would break out.
Lolth would most definitely send her people after these renegades, but said renegades would be prepared, because the Spider Deity would have anticipated Lolth's behavior (in some ways, she is pathetically predictable.)

But now, word comes to the surface of a drow civil war. And, as with all rumors, facts get distorted, changed, and greatly exaggerated, an avalanche of misinformation in the making.
So the elves take interest and send spies to find out what is happening. Sages attempt to find out. Adventurers go for a look. Such notables as Volo get into the act (and they, of course, deliberately exaggerate, lie, or fabricate to create a 'good story' that sells, which may or may not stir up a panic.)

By now, the surface world has reason to fear it may be pulled into the war, which has now broken into many factions, as the clergy of Ghaundaur and Kiransalee are taking advantage of the confusion to try and take over Below, and Vhaerun is trying to take over Above.
So the surface world sends emissaries to the drow, in places like Skullport, to make alliances or 'deals' with the drow, to insure their own safety or to at least somehow correctly ascertain the situation.

Likewise, the other Underdark Races are now destablized, and they get into the act. The illithid are pulled into the war. This affects their slaves, who try to revolt, with help from surface humanoid nations. The githyanki, long-time foes of the illithid, realize they have a chance to strike at them. The githzerai, enemies of the githyanki, seeing them preoccupied, realize they have a chance to strike at them.
The beginning of war in the Astral Plane leads to more rumors, wild exaggerations, half truths, and panic. Now, the surface nations of Faerun have to deal with this problem as well, since the Astral Races could strike at them. (And indeed, the Shadowmasters, sensing their chance in the confusion, intend a massive strike at the Lord's Alliance.)

Then accusations start. Thay has allied with the drow! Dambrath has one hundred thousand drow ready to march on Halruaa. Aglarond is secretly helping the Spider Queen (not Lolth) drow. This whole thing was rigged by the Chosen. The Church of Xvim and Fzoul Chembral secretly started the war. Somehow, Manshoon (one of him, anyways) took over a drow city, and is preparing retribution against Zhentil Keep. The Shade and githyanki have allied! A Faction in Sigil is ready to declare war on Cormyr. The Scro of Realmspace are preparing to attack the illithid. The aboleth have allied with the sahuagin to take over the coastal Underdark. Halaster the Mad Mage and the Skulls started this. A sudden plague of millions of spiders is about to be unleashed, to destroy entire countries! The Spider Drow have secretly allied with Evermeet, the dwarven nations, and great forces from Realmspace, and both are preparing for total war against the drow of Lolth!

Given the level of paranoia, plotting, scheming, conniving, and general anarchy within the Forgotten Realms, it is extremely easy to create a Tempest in a Teapot. Nevermind that there are a dozen actual real tempests in progress, which might or might not be aggravated into full blown messes by this sudden change in drow behavior.

But to work, it always needs a tinge of good humor. Always. :)

Lela

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
I'm not familiar with that series? How are Orcs portrayed in there?

Savage and violent, as usual.

It's the thought--built up very, very, subtly throughout the series--of an entire race forced to live in caves, soaking in squallier, with no chance to make something of themselves. Is it any wonder they get angry and attack?

It's the dwarves and elves who have subjugated these souls and we accept it because we don't like the way they look or talk. Really, these elves are out of hand.

Remove ads