D&D General I need some help

PickleJar

Villager
So basically, I've recently joined a D&D club and am making my character. His name is Tildrik, and he's a Thri-Kreen who got frozen in time for 1,000 years. Only problem, I've been trying to think of a good reason for why he's joined the party, but I can't think of one. Any help would be appreciated.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
He sees one of the PCs who looks like his former "Master" which he served. It turns out that PC is actually a distant descendant of his former master. So, you can role-play him calling the PC by his former master's name, assume he likes the same stuff, etc. (To be clear, by master, I do not necessarily mean a master/slave relationship, more a master/servant one.)

OR

Depending on his scores and class, etc. maybe he was a lost diplomat to an ancient kingdom of a race of one of the PCs, and looks to that PC.

OR

If the PCs freed him, perhaps he feels he owes a bond to them for releasing him.

OR

Any other number of things... more info on your PC would help. Personality, what was his backstory before he was frozen, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Have a Like. :)

aco175

Legend
He needs to learn about the new ways of the world and adventuring allows him to fit in with a small group until he earn enough gold and experience.

He is searching for a means to get him back to where he belongs 1000 years ago. He yearns to be with his lost love.

He is still searching for his evil twin that was frozen with him somehow. He needs to stop him from completing the McGuffin and taking over the world.

How else can he enjoy the taste of elf meat without going to jail.

Fanaelialae

Legend
If he's aware that he was frozen in time for a long time, then he knows he's a stranger in a strange land. He may tag along with the party simply because they can serve as "guides" to this time period.

PickleJar

Villager
He sees one of the PCs who looks like his former "Master" which he served. It turns out that PC is actually a distant descendant of his former master. So, you can role-play him calling the PC by his former master's name, assume he likes the same stuff, etc. (To be clear, by master, I do not necessarily mean a master/slave relationship, more a master/servant one.)

OR

Depending on his scores and class, etc. maybe he was a lost diplomat to an ancient kingdom of a race of one of the PCs, and looks to that PC.

OR

If the PCs freed him, perhaps he feels he owes a bond to them for releasing him.

OR

Any other number of things... more info on your PC would help. Personality, what was his backstory before he was frozen, etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Have a Like. :)
Well, let's see...
Tildrik grew up in a small tribe of nomadic people. The desert he traversed was ripe with ruins and other relics left behind from the past, which he enjoyed exploring. He enjoys history, and loves to collect relics. He has a dream of learning the history of the entire world. He can be somewhat greedy at times, but is willing to share with others. He hates drinking, and isn't quite fond of potions(like how a child doesn't want to drink their medicine).
Sorry if some of that wasn't really all that relevant.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Also, thx for the like :)

pemerton

Legend
So basically, I've recently joined a D&D club and am making my character. His name is Tildrik, and he's a Thri-Kreen who got frozen in time for 1,000 years. Only problem, I've been trying to think of a good reason for why he's joined the party, but I can't think of one. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you know what adventure your GM is going to have you go on? I'd suggest that your PC has a reason to go on that adventure, and hence to go along with the other PCs who are also going on that adventure. Then during the course of your adventure you can become friends. Think of it as like the first episode of a super hero team comic!

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
  • Your PC speaks a dead language and the other PCs hired him in a prior adventure. You decided to stay on.
  • (Dark Sun setting influence) The PCs rescued him. Because his prior "pack" (kreen are lost without a pack to rely upon) is gone, he gravitates to the PCs and would defend them with his life. That's what you do for the pack. It's an alien concept to most humanoids.
  • Kreen don't live long and know their time of natural death nearly to the day. You have always aimed to make your life count amongst the longer-lived races so that your experiences will return to the clutch (the universal memory by which all new kreen gain knowledge of their ancestor's deeds). Questing with the PCs has given you that motivation so that any kreen left on this world will become stronger for your shared knowledge someday.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, let's see...
Tildrik grew up in a small tribe of nomadic people. The desert he traversed was ripe with ruins and other relics left behind from the past, which he enjoyed exploring. He enjoys history, and loves to collect relics. He has a dream of learning the history of the entire world. He can be somewhat greedy at times, but is willing to share with others. He hates drinking, and isn't quite fond of potions(like how a child doesn't want to drink their medicine).
Sorry if some of that wasn't really all that relevant.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Also, thx for the like :)
Ok great start! So, how did he end up frozen for 1000 years?

Mad_Jack

Legend
Ok great start! So, how did he end up frozen for 1000 years?

Yeah... How he got stuck and how he got unstuck are going to be important elements of his backstory, and how long after his awakening he meets the party will probably dictate the circumstances under which he ends up adventuring with them.
But, as mentioned by Toucanbuzz, Kreen are social creatures and if the character decides that the party is his social unit that's really all the motivation he needs. Since the party is adventuring and traveling the world, the Kreen may well see that as them sharing his interest in seeing new places and finding old ruins and relics.

Remove ads