D&D 5E I need to get over the hump and submit

Sadrik

First Post
As a hobbyist, designer and gamer, I like to think I have a pretty vested interest in how this game turns out. I feel like things that I have worked through discussion on these boards do not make the dense information barrier between end user and designer. Granted this is a traditional design scope problem.

Sometimes, things are worked out and there is a communal agreement and sometimes disagreement abounds. After all we each have our own perceived notions of where the game should go. After each iteration, it feels readily apparent to me that this game is an untamable beast. It will become the game it has always been, a Frankenstein's monster. Pieces and ideas not fully realized, some design scope fulfilled and some stunted. Some great ideas and some obtuse sacred cows and some decisions left simply unanswered (which is a design answer in it self though). In many cases, it appears that a deep understanding of the issues is tenuous at best. It brings me back to it will be a hodgepodge, basic bits are lacking and all the glued on bells and whistles are sometimes not sticking or not looked at in a holistic sense.

The design staff have a huge responsibility, it won't be too much to handle, but I think it will not be as spectacular as I have in my mind the potential could be. My expectations need to be drastically lowered. There are figuratively thousands of moving parts and each one has effects on countless others. Then there is the notion of playstyle options which further complicate and compound. Not to just hammer and give no compliments, there have been some incredibly smart decision making too and lots of excellent changes, deletions, and additions.

I am not sure the open playtest was a good strategy too. It asks people to buy in and make determinations, however those determinations cannot possibly all be looked at. The end result is a lot of people who bought in offered their feedback on their own pet peeves and then see their suggestions shirked, not by anything more than the avalanche of data, the weakness of their idea, the complexity of the system itself, or perhaps the clarity of the design staff.

I need to get over the hump and submit to the fact that my version of the game will never get made, unless I make it myself. Also, any tempest in a teapot that resolves in real clarity for all sides in a messageboard on EnWorld will not pierce the end-user/designer barrier.

My post is not high on specifics and I am sure someone will ask for them. Perhaps it is a Mearlsian post. I am not sure I will spend the time in this thread to detail any specifics and would rather leave details to other specific issue threads.

Bottom line is they should hire me. ;)

Ichneumon

First Post
I could round up a group of people with experience in the RPG industry and pay them to build a version of D&D that matches my preferences in every respect, picking it up 2-3 years down the track. Or I could can pay a vastly smaller sum in 2014 for a game that hits enough things I like. Yeah, that sounds good. WotC should totally hire me as well. :D

Zustiur

Explorer
Forgive the internet meme, but, "you're doing it wrong".
Don't think of 5E as the edition which didn't meet your expectations. Think of 5E as the edition which made building your own personal edition easier to achieve.
That's how I'm looking at it. I'm already building my own edition, based on ideas taken from all existing editions and from 5E, and elsewhere. 5E will likely form the core of my own edition, with all my personal trappings being the face of the edition.
That is, 5E will provide the underlying mechanics, but the implementation of those mechanics will be my own.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Don't think of 5E as the edition which didn't meet your expectations. Think of 5E as the edition which made building your own personal edition easier to achieve.
That's how I'm looking at it. I'm already building my own edition, based on ideas taken from all existing editions and from 5E, and elsewhere. 5E will likely form the core of my own edition, with all my personal trappings being the face of the edition.
That is, 5E will provide the underlying mechanics, but the implementation of those mechanics will be my own.

Wise words these.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This is a good read.
Personally, I'm hoping they will be just close enough in design for me to shave off the mechanics and still be able to use their publishing settings, adventures, and DM tools again. And any minigames they might create. They are definitely heading in a sincerely inclusive direction, but no butterfly net is going to be big enough to capture us all. Best to look for the positives and weigh what's worth opening your pocketbook.

PFBeginner.com

First Post
Given that I run a "simple" game for my daughters and play in a high-level "complex" game with my friends, I appreciated 5E's approach of creating a la carte mechanics that will let me use just the pieces I want for a given game.

Sadrik

First Post
I could round up a group of people with experience in the RPG industry and pay them to build a version of D&D that matches my preferences in every respect, picking it up 2-3 years down the track. Or I could can pay a vastly smaller sum in 2014 for a game that hits enough things I like. Yeah, that sounds good. WotC should totally hire me as well. :D
Very true, perhaps one day I will do that. I have my own memes about how a d&d game would look and be presented. 2014 will hopefully be the year when we get a simple base game which is highly extensible.

Last edited:

Remove ads