I really don't think it should be called the "ORC license"

aramis erak

Legend
Sure. It takes more effort. That doesn't make it impossible.
Not everyone considers online play via VTT and Voice acceptable modes of play for themselves.

I do. My wife doesn't. My eldest does, my youngest (legally an adult already) does not.

Likewise, certain posters don't care for FTF play.

Many can't stand play-by-post, play-by-email, or even play-by-chat (no voice, no VTT)... The pacing and narrative modes differ wildly.

In the case of total novices, online play is a huge hurdle -- how does one find a group when all one knows about D&D comes from Critical Role??? What software? How do I open myself up enough to roleplay with total strangers?
How does one figure it out without willing victims and having seen play when someone sends one a corebook that isn't D&D or Pathfinder?
Given how Google tailors recommendations, if one isn't already tripped off by google as a gamer, useful hits are going to be almost purely D&D.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
In the case of total novices, online play is a huge hurdle -- how does one find a group when all one knows about D&D comes from Critical Role??? What software? How do I open myself up enough to roleplay with total strangers?
How does one figure it out without willing victims and having seen play when someone sends one a corebook that isn't D&D or Pathfinder?
Given how Google tailors recommendations, if one isn't already tripped off by google as a gamer, useful hits are going to be almost purely D&D.

Yeah, kids these days have a really hard time with new technology and virtual friendships.

Oh, wait…

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah, kids these days have a really hard time with new technology and virtual friendships.

Oh, wait…
Note: my 18yo doesn't like to play remote, my 22yo does so reluctantly. Dismissiveness won't change that it's not a generational thing; in fact, it flat out smacks of gatekeeping mindset.

In my two current groups (the third group is a subset of the second); Only my wife and I are past 35; the FTF group is mostly under 22, except for my wife and I; the remote one is low of mid 20's and high of (IIRC) 32 year old, excluding myself. And I started a few weeks before Moldvay's D&D Basic Set hit the shelves,

I staunchly support people's right to play online... but one thing I've heard at local cons aplenty: "How do I find a group?"
Also, I moved states, had no friends local when I moved. Finding a group online wasn't easy; the one I have was a FTF group in Alaska, who wanted to at least finish the module with the same GM. (Princes of the Apocalyse).

the pacing of VTT play was not good for one particular player; Even TOTM is slower for me. I find FTF far superior to VOIP, even when running pure TOTM, as the subtle cues of faces, body language, and even what's in hand are all lost.

Note: my 18yo doesn't like to play remote, my 22yo does so reluctantly. Dismissiveness won't change that it's not a generational thing; in fact, it flat out smacks of gatekeeping mindset.

In my two current groups (the third group is a subset of the second); Only my wife and I are past 35; the FTF group is mostly under 22, except for my wife and I; the remote one is low of mid 20's and high of (IIRC) 32 year old, excluding myself. And I started a few weeks before Moldvay's D&D Basic Set hit the shelves,

I staunchly support people's right to play online... but one thing I've heard at local cons aplenty: "How do I find a group?"
Also, I moved states, had no friends local when I moved. Finding a group online wasn't easy; the one I have was a FTF group in Alaska, who wanted to at least finish the module with the same GM. (Princes of the Apocalyse).

the pacing of VTT play was not good for one particular player; Even TOTM is slower for me. I find FTF far superior to VOIP, even when running pure TOTM, as the subtle cues of faces, body language, and even what's in hand are all lost.
My on-line group covers the age spectrum from 60s to 20s.

I find VTT play to be much smoother and time-efficient than F2F, as players tend to be more focused on the game. Of course, my group has never met in RL, so we skip a lot of the BSing that F2F groups built out of a circle of friends genberates.

I don't miss seeing the players (we don't use video) at all. It lets me focus upon the game inself, and the weird curveballs the group throws at me.

I have noticed that people with extensive video game experience do better with on-line gaming experience.

BTW, if people ask where to find a group, Reddit Looking For Group is the best option, IME.

ORC is just an acronym for Open  RPG Creative License. Is there any imperative for the words to be in that exact order?

Polish_20230121_205525830.png

Remove ads