D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

HammerMan

Legend
has anyone ever had to stop and say "Wait... we are invading a kingdom of ______ and these are really just the guards, doing there jobs" has anyone ever been able to see an orc/goblin/drow in the wild and set up an ambush because you KNOW you are in the right to just kill them?

Scribe

Hero
I get that alignment kicked your puppy across the room at some point, but you do not have to be a jerk about it.
Meh, the less engagement on it the better.

I find it humorous that the same topics are on loop in this forum, they will never be resolved.

Scribe

Hero
has anyone ever had to stop and say "Wait... we are invading a kingdom of ______ and these are really just the guards, doing there jobs" has anyone ever been able to see an orc/goblin/drow in the wild and set up an ambush because you KNOW you are in the right to just kill them?
Like in a game? No, why would I?

In the wild, if I have an opportunity for ambush but dont need it? I would avoid the fight. If I have to go through some mooks of the big bad, then thats the obstacle which has been placed before the group.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
[Raises hand]

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sometimes? I guess it depends on how soon I want the alarm to be raised.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
They don't have free will. That's what I said. Free will isn't a prerequisite for personality.
…ok? So, your goblins are uncomplicated, unnuanced, evil things that it’s ok to kill. I’ve been saying this whole time that it’s when you try to make them complicated, nuanced beings that it’s ok to kill that it causes problems.

Charlaquin

has anyone ever had to stop and say "Wait... we are invading a kingdom of ______ and these are really just the guards, doing there jobs"
Of course. I generally try to avoid killing guards whenever it can be helped.
has anyone ever been able to see an orc/goblin/drow in the wild and set up an ambush because you KNOW you are in the right to just kill them?
I mean, yeah, there was a time when I would play with always-evil monsters. Been a long time though.

King Babar

God Learner
Goblins are fun opponents to run as they can really punch above their CR if you play up their nimbleness. Throw in a nilbog for extra spiciness.

Charlaquin

The larger problem here isnt the wholesale killing of guards. Its that D&D systems make it easier to just outright kill something then to knock it out.
Well, the combat system does, sure. But, violence doesn’t always have to be the solution. And, when it does come down to violence, it is still possible not to kill your opponents. Heck, in 5e all you have to do is use melee attacks and say you’re trying to knock the target out. Use of morale mechanics can also help here.

The larger problem here isnt the wholesale killing of guards. Its that D&D systems make it easier to just outright kill something then to knock it out.
It really doesn't. All that is required in the current rules is that the player says that they do wish to do nonlethal damage.

Which frankly is bizarre and I don't like it. Because if that's how it would work, then every time you kill somebody with a melee attack, it is pretty damn immoral, as you could have just as easily not killed them. Of course in reality that's not how it would work. If you have some proper weapon, it is very difficult to knock someone out safely, so using lethal force could still be justified.

payn

Legend
Well, the combat system does, sure. But, violence doesn’t always have to be the solution. And, when it does come down to violence, it is still possible not to kill your opponents. Heck, in 5e all you have to do is use melee attacks and say you’re trying to knock the target out. Use of morale mechanics can also help here.
Sure, just sayin its an old habit so it dies hard. Folks used to just wholesale murder from the old days. If they had reasonable options from the start, folks might actually consider a toolbox approach.

Scribe

Hero
Which frankly is bizarre and I don't like it. Because if that's how it would work, then every time you kill somebody with a melee attack, it is pretty damn immoral, as you could have just as easily not killed them. Of course in reality that's not how it would work. If you have some proper weapon, it is very difficult to knock someone out safely, so using lethal force could still be justified.
Yeah but then what do you do with the captive you have now?!? Tie him up and guard him? Let him go warn his pals? Hope he doesnt go tell the Dragon you are there?!

Seems like quite a risk to take for the sake of someone who has already aligned themselves with EVIL!

Charlaquin

It really doesn't. All that is required in the current rules is that the player says that they do wish to do nonlethal damage.

Yeah, I rule that if you’re trying not to kill your opponent, they fall unconscious and start making death saves. If you want to make sure they survive, you’d better stabilize them. (Theoretically they’d be making death saves either way, but for convenience sake I handwave them away if you’re actively trying to kill them.)

AcererakTriple6

Autistic DM (he/him)
I once knew a guy who put ketchup on his. :sick:
3 of my younger cousins love eating ice cream with ketchup and mustard on it. Chocolate ice cream, which makes it even worse.

At first I thought that they were doing it just to gross me out, but nope. They sincerely like it. It made me want to vomit.

payn

Legend
3 of my younger cousins love eating ice cream with ketchup and mustard on it. Chocolate ice cream, which makes it even worse.

At first I thought that they were doing it just to gross me out, but nope. They sincerely like it. It made me want to vomit.
i feel sick flu GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4