D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reynard

Legend
For me it is smurfs! There is nothing more evil. Stomp them into pulp, scoop up their blue blood and squishy insides and serve it all as a sweet blue fruity drink. When people comment on how tasty and refreshing the sweet blue drink is, you can smile as you glance at look the little caps, pants, glasses, etc, on the sole of your boots-- especially, if the person you served the drink loves smurfs.
Oh, wait! I meant to write that, yes, hordes of goblins, skeletons, zombies, minor demons and devils are fun to kill.
Gargamel?...

Reynard

Legend

Attachments

• goblin.jpg
    goblin.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 32

I am completely incapable of an evil run through of a video game, no matter how much cooler Sith are than Jedi. It's frustrating sometimes.
I've played through the early access of Baldur's Gate 3 multiple times and have been both Good and Evil in different ways.

With the Druid Grove location alone I've:
  • Wiped out all the goblins that were attacking them at their home base.
  • Wiped out only the leaders behind the goblin attacks at their home base, leaving the rest of the goblins rudderless.
  • Wiped out the goblins and one of their leaders as they attempt to storm the druid grove.
  • Agreed to betray the people at the druid grove by pretending to help them fight off the goblin horde only to turn on them as the battle begins.
  • Killed all the druids so the tiefling refugees can take over the place without fear of being pushed out.
  • Killed all the tiefling refugees for the evil druid leader.
  • Killed all the druids and tieflings, leaving the entire grove empty.
I really like this game and am equally likely to save or kill the same NPCs in different playthroughs is what I'm saying.

Bluebell

Explorer
Yes, true. But someone who likes role-playing heavy CRPGs don't tend to tell those who like action RPGs that they are different moral levels.

That's kind of my point. With TTRPGs, we criticize others who don't play the same preference we do. Even people who play video games where goblins are all inherently evil will criticize someone who plays TTRPGs that way. Which is odd, IMO.
I think it's actually more that CRPG players aren't playing with each other. Even in multiplayer games like MMOs, there is no circumstance in which one player wants to mow down enemies while another player wants to try talking it out. The game mechanics don't allow for those kinds of competing choices -- any opportunity to talk to NPCs will be limited to single player content or pre-written into the story. Whereas I think in TTRPGs there's a lot more room to clash over moral choices and representation of whole races as evil. There's a lot more frustration in the person next to you at the table wanting to kill everything in sight when you don't agree.

Plus, it's not like these discussions aren't happening around CRPGs as well. But that criticism is directed at the game devs, because they're the ones who can actually make changes to their games.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Plus, it's not like these discussions aren't happening around CRPGs as well. But that criticism is directed at the game devs, because they're the ones who can actually make changes to their games.

And some parents about what games their kids get to play at different ages...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If all you want out of D&D is a group of low-level enemies that you can stomp repeatedly, by the dozen, on sight, without feeling any moral or ethical complications, why would you choose to slaughter humanoids? D&D has tons of uncomplicated options that will fit the bill...skeletons, giant bugs, zombies, oozes...heck, there's even a vegan option (twig blights).

From reading this thread, it seems like the questionable morality and ethics are the entire point. And that's not really my jam.
Because not everyone feels the same way about these things that you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads