D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirtek

Hero
The larger problem here isnt the wholesale killing of guards. Its that D&D systems make it easier to just outright kill something then to knock it out.
It is forced to do, otherwise players would knock out the enemy and then kill them afterwards

My rule of thumb is :
« if we see something similar in mainstream movie or Tv show we can play or depict it in DnD. »

We got orcs killing in Lord of the Rings, without hesitation, remorse, and even a kill count constest between Legolas and Gimli. So until LoTR is banished from streaming, I consider that we can kill orcs freely in DnD.
And more recently we got a blonde beauty that ride a dragon a burn down a entire city. So before doing worst than that we got a loose marging about what we can do in DnD.

Horwath

Legend
And more recently we got a blonde beauty that ride a dragon a burn down a entire city. So before doing worst than that we got a loose marging about what we can do in DnD.
well, there was a case that many consider her a war criminal and decided to (rightfully)execute her for that crime

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Can we equate goblins with modern day pests or invasive species? Australia hunts the red fox, which is a relatively intelligent animal. (I was first gonna use the mosquito as an example, but I think a fox provides more fuel for this conversation). According to what I read on the Ozzie government website (pdf warning), they used to shoot them, and now use poison traps. They also try to reduce rabbits.
See, that actually does cleave a bit closely to a historical atrocity, so I’d advise against it.

well, there was a case that many consider her a war criminal and decided to (rightfully)execute her for that crime
In fact, it fit in war crime.
should we avoid the DM to depict war crime during a campaign? or forbid players to commit such crime?

this.

maybe PCs want to commit war crimes, maybe they want to prevent one.
maybe they want to commit one war crime to prevent even bigger one...
DnD can be a place where players and Dm can enter fictions they can afford in their real live.
That can be an amazing place to explore its own mind, needs, urge, hope, without risking to finish in jail or being killed by making a silly heroic act.

In fact, it fit in war crime.
should we avoid the DM to depict war crime during a campaign?

We already know one can't depict reducing the population in slavery, I guess depicting them being killed to the last isn't that much better.

Players.. I wouldn't "forbid" them to do anything, its the players' character, but I could say "Mmmm, you dealing with consequence of being war criminals isn't the campaign I'd like to run, so you can take over from here, I'll roll a character [or not]" if it was really egregious.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads