D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oofta

Legend
We already know one can't depict reducing the population in slavery, I guess depicting them being killed to the last isn't that much better.

Players.. I wouldn't "forbid" them to do anything, its the players' character, but I could say "Mmmm, you dealing with consequence of being war criminals isn't the campaign I'd like to run, so you can take over from here, I'll roll a character [or not]" if it was really egregious.
My rule is simple - commit an evil enough act and your PC becomes an NPC. As a DM I reserve the right to control all the evil monsters, even the ones that are human.

More than one. Tyranny was quite open about it. Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal screws it up because it's quite obvious what's going on but it simply denies you the option of "I don't believe you."[attack] and forces you to do what they say. In Planescape: Torment the bad guy is you.
Before all that there was Creature of Havoc, a Fighting Fantasy gamebook by Steve Jackson.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not really. I like all sorts. To name a couple: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is quick to judge your moral choices, as it KotOR. Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity give your moral choices without passing judgment. Solasta: Crown of the Magister and Titan Quest give you no moral choices. And I like all of them.
That's...what I said. So I'm confused you disagreed and then pretty much repeated what I said.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Seriously, humans have found reason to fight and kill each other as long as we have existed. No inherent evil and good factions needed, comes to us perfectly naturally. I have no reason to think the same wouldn't be true if sapient non-humans existed.
That's half the entire point of evil though.

Evil is both to warn people off behavior that is harmful such as eating disease-prone food or not breeding a giant army to kill the other guys and motivation to kill the other guys. Being the other guys is inherently evil because we need them dead for thier land or resources.
My rule is simple - commit an evil enough act and your PC becomes an NPC. As a DM I reserve the right to control all the evil monsters, even the ones that are human.
So... mass murder of sapients based on who they were born as?

This might be an unpopular or controversial opinion in current fandom, but I really love killing goblins -- or orcs, or kobolds, or any other stock enemy meant to die in droves. it hit me last night when I was playing Torchlight 3 (which is a video game and not a D&D one, but bear with me). The goblins in that game are very much the murderous, pyromaniac lit psychos of Pathfinder pre-2E and the feeling of obliterating them on screen filled me with a nostalgia for doing so at the table with dice in one hand and a cold brew in the other. There's just something truly satisfying about the over the top, silly mass murder of enemies designed specifically to die in droves.

I am not saying that is all I want out of D&D, or that I have an issue with a table or a game treating some traditional stock enemy types as not-stock enemy types (except Nazis -- Nazis should always be stock enemy types). I am just saying that killing goblins by the score is FUN.
It's only controversial because D&D has had to have it both ways as to whether it is a generic fantasy game system or an implied setting. Any other game you could do all of the above and the goblins, orcs, kobolds or other stock enemies could, in effect, be fantasy Nazis (which is to say they are bad because they do bad).

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm wondering if the moral protest be just as strong if we just substituted the culling of the current Australian government officials instead of goblins. I reckon a game where one waxes off politicians would have far less blowback.

Mod Note:
If you think there'd be less blowback, please consider that this almost got you booted from the thread by bringing real-world politics into the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases