D&D General "I roll Persuasion."

Chaosmancer

Legend
Emphasis mine.
I feel like that is a very strange take. The whole point of that system was to round out characters by giving them multiple things that define their motivations.

I see where they are coming from, a lot of the flaws and such are just... incredibly extreme. For example, Outlander #3 is "I remember every insult I've ever received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone whose ever wronged me." Now, this is both very specific, it doesn't actually give me anything except remembering insults and resenting people, but also incredibly vague.

Is this character just constantly brooding over every insult they've received since childhood? Let's say that they encounter someone who they have resented... do they just sit there silently resenting them?

If this was instead something far more broad like "I'm vindictive and always get even." THEN I've got something to work with and it applies far more broadly into roleplay.

Or you get Noble Flaw #5 "In fact, the world does revolve around me." It is a silly way to phrase it, so if taken literally.. you think you random adventuring noble are more important than the Emperor? You can have an inflated ego without being a caricature, but this incentivizes making a caricature, because that's what it says.

I basically never used BIFT's as written and constantly just write my own things in those spaces. I've never found more than like... 10 of those entries useful in any manner. Especially considering how many of them are just "I'm a drunken hedonist" or "I'm a violent sociopath"

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I already stated above that needing consent and having to have safety tools isn't an argument for not having the systems in place. Many, many players require consent for your to kill a PC in combat. This isn't different than that.
Sure, but I’m saying that in 5e that consent is already required. You don’t get to say, “I’m going to persuade the guard to let us out…23!…gimme da keys!” The DM has to agree that it’s possible and then set a DC.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It's different with magic. Relatively few NPCs have those spells, but everyone can talk to people. Not to mention, if we could just talk and charm/dominate people, what's the point of those spells? There's also a reason why cults go after people who are of certain mindsets that are open to manipulation, and why they are generally very small(it's hard to find lots of those people).

"Generally" small is usually more of a factor of the methods used. The Unification Church is a cult, and it has 3 million people and started 70 years ago. Raelism has 100,000 people. Scientology has 30,700 people.

Now, generally cults implode upon themselves, as the Leadership exploits people and they end up in a death spiral, or they end up like the People's Temple which seems to have had at 5,000 members. But their size has almost nothing to do with there being few people who can be manipulated and everything to do with the methods of control exerted over the membership.

Yeah. Maybe. Think of internet scams and other ploys. There's a reason why they are mostly successful at scamming the elderly who tend not to think as clearly as those who are younger.

So you set all of that up and the king calls his wizard advisor to confirm your story with magic and other planar information, and the cleric to verify the truth by having you all speak under a zones of truth separately and then confirm the story. Or maybe you get lucky and the king is 90 years old, not mentally all there, and he falls for it.

In any case, the king is not a PC and doesn't have agency which you are stealing via social skills. Social skills by the way, which the 5e DMG strongly implies do not work on PCs, and which Crawford confirmed don't work on PCs.

It has nothing to do with thinking clearly. Scams and ploys can easily catch young people too, because they rely on misinformation and working in sectors people don't understand. The Elderly are more vulnerable because they are constantly being barraged with "new" information and methods of doing things, so they are easier to convince that this is yet another things they do not know, but there are many things about how the world works that young people don't know either. Scammers just don't tend to target them, because they are often crushed by debt and have few assets worth stealing, unlike the Elderly.

It allows for scenarios like frodo/smaug or level zero nobody/galactus where a fight would be unquestionably lethal & the goal is to ensure that things don't escalate that way because a consequence for a victorious powerhouse is risky& long lasting but allowing frodo to get away with just a bauble of treasure will avoid a fight thst might not be worth it

that does sound amazing...

Chaosmancer

Legend
so in another thread (the one that this spun out of) I brought up that I match my players energy, so things they put effort into become important and things they don't become side notes and fall out of importance. One way I do this is if someone wants to talk and give a great argument I let them, and if they just say (an old joke we have) "I diplomancy them" I let that in too... However someone in the thread found a way to 'game the system' that no one has tried in my experience.

the 'game' of the system was pretend to NOT be interested in something (doesn't even need to be social but finding something, convincing someone, climbing something...anything really) to initiate my 'okay we can roll and move on' and if they don't like the roll, THEN go back and describe in more detail trying to get an auto pass by doing the right thing or at least a second roll for there now more detailed attempt.

this reminds me of that idea

TBH if we are having fun I might let him keep talking... but with my group, someone would be like "Can we get a long hook to pull him off stage now?"

Yeah, everyone is having fun (in theory) but the point is that the current system either has us resolve this by fiat (which the DM may decide does not fall on the side of the players) or by a single roll, which is incredibly swingy.

And I want to bring up that a lot of people are correct in that we have a lot of experience IRL with debates and social situations. And a lot of that comes to "But I made a good argument so they should agree with me!" And if the DM fiat rules they don't agree with your arguments, because they do not think the person being argued with would find them convincing, then they need to turn to the system. And a social combat system has the advantage of flattening the RNG and bringing in more people and more thoughtful approaches than a single die roll.

Chaosmancer

Legend
And because the consequences can result in compulsion I believe it should require agreement to the terms…consent…beforehand. Unlike physical combat, where you don’t really get to decline being attacked by the dragon.

I think that if I were to create a social combat system, I would never have the NPCs be the instigators. The PCs are usually the one's pushing a goal, so they would get the option to start the system, and then accept the consequences of failure.

I can't imagine what doing the opposite would look like, because the PCs wouldn't gain anything for winning. I also think that if you were creating a physical combat system for the first time in a system where physical combat wasn't a thing... that you would absolutely have the idea that the players could decline being attacked by the dragon. I'm thinking if you were to take a MLP system, players would absolutely have an option to not fight and to instead do something else, because that fits the genre of the show. Same with a Doctor Who system. You don't get into brawls in that system, to my knowledge.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I mean isn't that what the whole thread is about... proposing a new system?

Sorry if that's where people are coming from, I missed it. I saw denigrating posts mocking some posters for apparently not having a consistent viewpoint, and didn't realize the goal of doing this was to design new houserules.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I really dislike BIFTs because they are specific, instead of general like alignment. They make caricatures of PCs instead of well rounded characters. The impact has been minimal because there is no teeth to BIFTs, so its easy to ignore. My guess as to its limited mechanical impact is to stop the complaints of PCs being screwed by their flaws. Or, I suppose, playing up for every advantage possible in play. Also, to insulate player agency from the mechanics, which has been a major topic in this discussion.

Well, far be it from me to defend BIFTs overall, but I expect the reason they're ignored so often isn't that they create caricatures so much as because the actual rules involved are minimal. There's very little to them that connects them to the rest of the game, and as such, they're often treated as roleplaying suggestions, at most. In that regard, I really don't see them as being significantly different from Alignment.

If instead these things had actual impact on play in some way... if the rules were not partitioned off but instead integrated along with the other systems of play... it would all be more meaningful. How to do that (or something like it) within the overall rules structure of 5E is the question, really.

But having such mechanics isn't an infringement on player agency. Characters are not free from things that limit them, the players don't always have say about what their character can or cannot do. For example, a character who has been bound by rope is fairly limited in what they can attempt to do... this doesn't mean that tying a character up is negating agency. There will always be constraints on play that arise from the fiction. Someone being angered or shaken in some way is no different in this regard from a myriad of other conditions we all accept. Especially when, as is the case with BIFTs, it's the player who chooses them in the first place.

I tell you one thing you don't do - leave something that important to opposed rolls between the PC and NPC. That's just anti-climatic as heck.

No, it's not. It's how a significant amount of most games are played. Even in the cases where things do boil down to a single die-roll, it's not generally done in isolation. There are factors that must be considered and applied in some way to the odds of the die roll. This idea that rolling dice is anti-climactic and you acting out a 21-NPC scene isn't, is purely your opinion. I personally would feel that a scene with that much GM input is more likely to reach some pre-determined end rather than for play to have mattered, and as such will feel anti-climactic to me.

There are very simple ways to expand such situations out to more than one roll, and to have the scene play out naturally, with the players playing in character and their actions leading to rolls, just as they would in combat or any other kind of scene where the outcome was in doubt.

yeah this is why we stopped using alignment (and never used the traits flaws ect) there is this super small list that are supposed to perfectly grab all of human experience

this reminds me of an issue with old world of darkness (another game that like D&D I still play) where players would pour over flaws that gave the most amount of pts for the least in game effect.

I mean, setting aside if treating the game as if it's a game is good or bad, there's really no way to stop people trying to game the system. It's going to happen and you ether let it or you try and limit it per your taste and that of your players. I don't think overlooking potentially relevant spheres of play simply to try and avoid someone gaming a disadvantage is the best approach.

Combat works the way it does because there are stakes. If things don't go well, the PCs may die. There may be any number of other stakes established in the fiction... they don't recover the magic sword, they don't save the princess, the cultists are able to summon their patron, and so on. The uncertainty of combat and the rules that govern it are what makes such situations tense. The outcome is decided by playing the game. Not by someone deciding what would be most likely to happen.

So if social encounters are to have stakes... it there's to be meaningful risk and if the outcome is not pre-determined... then there needs to be rules to govern that.

This does seem to be a common perspective on the subject. I wonder why.

Have (general) you ever been pushed over the edge by an insult? Or maybe too tired to argue with someone? Or so smitten that you agree to things you know are a bad idea? If so, you have lost a "social combat." And if it can happen to you, it can happen your character.

It's because there're mechanics involved... the use of a spell slot and an action to cast the spell, the targeting of a character, a saving throw... all clear and understandable rules that make it easier for the player to understand and accept the results. I fail my save, bad thing happens.

Not to say that social complexities are as easily mapped to such a system, but there is at least the invoking of rules in that regard. If this kind of thing were to be expanded to skills such as Persuasion or Bluff, then we'd need some kind of similar mechanics that would substitute.

PbtA also relies heavily on the GM improvising things on the fly, again heavily relying on table contracts to negotiate that. In other words, PbtA takes a lot of complexity out of the game and instead moves it to the metagame.

I would say that's not a metagame.... that's the game. The game is the conversation. The rules determine who gets to say what and when. The principles of play are not really just suggestions. Not any more so than any other rule, anyway.

Remove ads