I saw a Ghostbuster and it was good (spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We saw Ghostbusters Afterlife earlier today. This is the spoiler thread.

I enjoyed it. It's Stranger Things crossed with Ghostbusters. A bit more slapstick than the dry humour of the original, but everybody did a great job.

That said it is VERY fan servicy. Brings back everything from the first film. That might bother you or not (didn't bother me).

I kinda felt that the old crew showing up at the end was a bit too much. They're so old now! And the Spengler ghost was kinda creepy in the wrong way the way he didn't speak. But I understand why that is -- making him speak would have been way worse.

I would say it's more Stranger Things + Ghostbusters than it is Ghostbusters + Stranger Things. Which is fine -- New York is a character in the GB films, and its absence makes this feel different. But also allowed it to feel a bit 80s as the small town is kinda behind the times, which you couldn't do in a major city.

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I always wondered about stuff like that. I mean, somebody might consent. The comic actor Del Close (apparently a prominent figure in standup comedy) left his skull to be used in theater productions of Hamlet as Yorick (apparently his partner substituted another skull), but he was (1) an actor who might have liked the idea of continuing to participate in theater even after his death and (2) a comedian who presumably appreciated the grim humor of it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always wondered about stuff like that. I mean, somebody might consent. The comic actor Del Close (apparently a prominent figure in standup comedy) left his skull to be used in theater productions of Hamlet as Yorick (apparently his partner substituted another skull), but he was (1) an actor who might have liked the idea of continuing to participate in theater even after his death and (2) a comedian who presumably appreciated the grim humor of it.
I wasn't talking about consent (I assume big movie studios cover the legal side) -- its more that a voice actor doing his voice might have been more uncanny valley than him just smiling weirdly. Or maybe not. I dunno!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So I saw the mid-credit scene.

I didn't know there was a post-credits scene also. Dammit! I've done the second best thing and read the description, so I know what happens in it, but I really wished I'd stayed until the end of the credits!

Dire Bare

Legend
I wish they'd tell you at the start of the credits that there are scenes coming up.

Sounds like a fun movie, even with extreme fan service!
Can't remember which film, but I actually did encounter this once. A movie theater employee got up in the front of the theater before the film, and told everybody about the end credit scene and to stick around. He got some applause!

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I wasn't talking about consent (I assume big movie studios cover the legal side) -- its more that a voice actor doing his voice might have been more uncanny valley than him just smiling weirdly. Or maybe not. I dunno!

I'm sure they could have gotten Maurice LaMarche if they'd wanted to voice Egon. (I'm not saying it would've been a good idea, but it certainly would've been S-tier fanservice on par with the Bill Murray → Peter Venkman → Lorenzo Music → Garfield the Cat → Bill Murray loop.)

Stalker0

Legend
Just saw it, was a solid fan of this movie. All in all, it felt like the right blend of new and old to me, and with actual writing and actual characters. Was just a good solid movie.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases