• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I seem to be missing the point on the online CB

Grabuto138

First Post
Well personally I didn't find having a single folder on my computer with everyone's sheet (that we updated when the party leveled up) all that hard, confusing or time consuming... and I definitely felt it was a slight inconvenience that was worth it to actually own the software I was paying for... but that's just me.

I never claimed to be particularly bright or competent. Given my limited facilities, managing the characters for alternating campaigns and one-offs is hard. Not as hard as keeping score in bowling or arithmetic, but harder than I like. I would prefer if everyone could just log in and access their characters without all the emailing, plugging in flash drives and fiddling around. Especially since I do a lot of long-distance collaboration in real life so I am trained to expect everything I need and want readily available so-long as I have internet access.

To your second point, I think we are different plans. I got the software for free and pay a monthly fee for access to updates, a Rules Compendium and some online content. You should check it out, at $5.95 per month it is a pretty sweet deal. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/subscription.aspx

Minifig

First Post
See.. where I play, the DM doesn't HAVE internet access..

So the offline builder was wonderful when we all wanted to level up and see what we got/get.

Sadly... this'll screw that all up.

Bagpuss

Legend
To your second point, I think we are different plans. I got the software for free and pay a monthly fee for access to updates, a Rules Compendium and some online content. You should check it out, at $5.95 per month it is a pretty sweet deal. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/subscription.aspx

That deals not available any more, well not after the Nov 16th anyway. And technically he was sort of correct, as once you paid for the update with your monthly fee you got to keep that, after the 16th you don't.

The only thing you get to keep that you pay for after the 16th are hardcopy (or PDF files) of characters you've built with the software you rent and Dragon and Dungeon PDFs.

Bagpuss

Legend
And it's still a great deal.

Perhaps that's up to individuals to decide, I think it has in some ways significantly reduced in value, Dragon and Dungeon have been on a general downhill trend, and a rented CB has less value than one you get to keep. On the other hand the content on the compendium constantly increases so it could be seen as always gaining in value.

avin

First Post
I couldn't login on Wotc this morning... I'm wondering what will happen when people want to use this *wonderful* online toy and servers are offline... even allmight Blizzard servers go offline, why Wizards think they can handle it?

This is a good step for them as a company... but I wish they were humble enough to say "we are aware that this may cause some annoyance for some of you guys, but we needed to do it"...

I couldn't login on Wotc this morning... I'm wondering what will happen when people want to use this *wonderful* online toy and servers are offline... even allmight Blizzard servers go offline, why Wizards think they can handle it?

This is a good step for them as a company... but I wish they were humble enough to say "we are aware that this may cause some annoyance for some of you guys, but we needed to do it"...
Well, you couldn't login, but I still get this: http://wizards.com/DnD/Error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/dnd/Default.aspx

For over a week now, I think. :( (I reported it to CS only Saturday or so, though...)

The rest of the site still works, though...

Remove ads