I seem to be missing the point on the online CB

Scribble

First Post
Except when you re-design the CB allegedly for Mac users ;)

I wish they'd just be honest and say they weren't making enough from occasional users and hope that this curbs piracy.

Did they say that was the reason?

I saw a bunch of highlights as to why it was a good thing, but nothing that outright said why they did it...

My favorite was characters are stored online in our vault so you don't have to!

I find it convenient actually but still I never really sat there complaining about how I have to store all these dern characters on my PC... :p

If only I didn't have to save my Drow Ranger... I'd have room for that text file I wanted to download from that bulletin board! (It's full of ascii art!)

renau1g

First Post
Did they say that was the reason?

No, I was just putting words in their mouth, seems like everyone else is, so I thought I'd join in on the fun.

I saw a bunch of highlights as to why it was a good thing, but nothing that outright said why they did it...

My favorite was characters are stored online in our vault so you don't have to!

I find it convenient actually but still I never really sat there complaining about how I have to store all these dern characters on my PC... :p

If only I didn't have to save my Drow Ranger... I'd have room for that text file I wanted to download from that bulletin board! (It's full of ascii art!)
That was my favourite as well.

Oh... and there's no way I'm going anywhere near anyone's Itouch

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In the first half of 2010, smartphones were only 20% of the cell phones shipped, and Apple's OS was only about 14% of the smartphone market in Q2. That makes iPhones about 3% of the total phone market? I'd not call that ubiquitous.

Even if you imagine that they're two or three times more popular among gamers than on average, that's like 10% of the market. You don't usually go too far out of your way for 10%.
I sat down to chat with Bill Slavicsek and WotC's CEO a year and a half ago. When asked what they would have done differently regarding e-tools, Bill told me that he thought they missed an opportunity with the iPhone. Challenging formatting-for-mobile-platforms aside, I'm disappointed that this isn't part of the solution.

I take a look at media and ask myself why iPhones and iPads get such an absurd amount of buzz compared to their market penetration. They're sexy. D&D marketing could use more of that. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Ipod touch has too small a screen for something like this, and I wouldn't want to go zooming in and out jsut to use it, quite frankly.

Beside this point, they've even got ME considering dumping my subscription at this point - I really have no interest in some fiddly web-tool they can't even prove to me they'll keep available at anywhere near ONE nine, much less five nines, having to store my characters on the cloud where I'm slave to their storage limitations. On the good side, Silverlight IS a good interface technology (I've used it for some work projects before), and heck I already have it loaded for netflix and other stuff from the internet, anyway. However, that's not enough to outweigh the cons -- the real con being that it doesn't look like anything is coming down the pike for the next 6 months that my group will be interested in, anyway. It's not worth keeping for that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Ipod touch has too small a screen for something like this, and I wouldn't want to go zooming in and out jsut to use it, quite frankly.

About 85% of my recent posts on this site the past month have been done on my iTouch. It's not that I prefer it to my iMac, but the iTouch is on my person all damn day.

It's a little difficult to read or navigate at times, but its effortless zooming capabilities minimize the pain greatly.

I'm still thinking if would be better on an iPad...or maybe getting an actual MacBook Pro.

Soooo...not the best platform for it, but still workable.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
So I would like to ask those of you who have been cancelling your subscriptions. Would you have cancelled knowing that the delays are because of this tools system? If they had come forth 2 months ago and said, "we aren't updating the offline CB because we are working on a new online format" would you have cancelled? I wouldn't have. How many of you are cancelling because of this new feature?
I almost certainly would've, for one; that announcement would've indicated that our subscription money was going towards duplicating existing functionality in a new, less-convenient format, while dropping a handful of existing features. As it stands, we're close enough to the 16th that I'll stick around until then to give it a go, but I will more than likely cancel my subscription by the 20th. Had the announcement come sooner, I wouldn't have bothered waiting to try the new one.

And I'm going to say it again, but I'd probably have been better off cutting off before, since then I wouldn't have gotten that incredibly stupid update to Character Builder Classic that keeps you from buying magic items.

Remove ads