• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I seem to be missing the point on the online CB

Riastlin

First Post
^^^ And actually, five downloads would still leave a group 1 short -- assuming that the DM wanted a copy for himself which I think is a pretty safe assumption.

As for tablets, I didn't even realize there were any competitors to the iPad yet. I know there are several coming out next year, which by the looks of them, seem as though they'll have better features (or rather better hardware). I had not heard about the price yet though. More to the point, the tablets are really too expensive at this point anyway.

ki11erDM

Explorer
What part of WotC being a corporation, selling endless amounts of new and expensive books, minis, card-games, tools, and accessories, what part of them making an online for-pay service, made you think at any moment that their end goal was NOT the money?

WotC is part of a large publicly traded American corporation. Their ONLY job is it to render as much money from the economy as possible. Anyone that understands the basics of American capitalism can see how the new CB and the other tools they are working will be more efficient in generating income for their shareholders.
That does not guarantee it will be a success… but the potential is there. If it is implemented correctly and followed up with indispensable tools they will increase WotC value and the value of the D&D brand and the value of Hasbro.

Riastlin

First Post
The DM had Compendium, though that required being online. It seemed perfectly suited to an entire group.

Sure, except that a lot of DM's (myself included) also like to play from time to time, meaning that its nice for the DM to have a copy of the CB too. Additionally, I use the CB as a DM to create pre-gens for when my party is short-handed or somebody new shows up (we play at a FLGS) and wants to give it a try.

A small point perhaps, but just worth mentioning.

falcarrion

First Post
This could be the begining to the end of the core book rules. Nothing is stopping them from stopping support for the core books and only supporting Essentials and darksun. And with the new CB, it will be very easy to do. 6 months down the line they could just say " We have decided to only support Essentials and Darksun. So all content to the core books is being removed from the website. So if you want to play 4e, buy the Essential line or subscribe to the website."

Lets face it. If the CB was revamped to handle Essentials thats the line they are going to push. And all the core book stuff will gather dust. Like your 3.5, 3.0, 2nd ed, and AD&D 1 ed. A flick of the wrist and no more support for the core books.

So be smart and down load the CB as it is now and store it. It may very well be the last Core rules stuff you will see. From here on out support for Essentials will be there main focus.

Jhaelen

First Post
This could be the begining to the end of the core book rules. Nothing is stopping them from stopping support for the core books and only supporting Essentials and darksun.
Here's what's stopping them: Business acumen.

It wouldn't offer any advantage and only serve to alienate a large part of the customer base.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Here's what's stopping them: Business acumen.

It wouldn't offer any advantage and only serve to alienate a large part of the customer base.
But that may be just what they intend! That way, they piss off all their customers, and ruin the D&D name forever! It's Mike Mearls's evil master plan, I tell you!

A side-note: I find it amusing that both Lead Developers for both M:TG and D&D have been given a reputation for ruining their product by those that didn't like what they were doing. I find it more amusing that in both cases, people ran with it and turned it into a running gag - in the first case, the man himself, in the second, the fandom.

But maybe I am easily amused.

evilref

Explorer
This could be the begining to the end of the core book rules. Nothing is stopping them from stopping support for the core books and only supporting Essentials and darksun. And with the new CB, it will be very easy to do. 6 months down the line they could just say " We have decided to only support Essentials and Darksun. So all content to the core books is being removed from the website. So if you want to play 4e, buy the Essential line or subscribe to the website."

Lets face it. If the CB was revamped to handle Essentials thats the line they are going to push. And all the core book stuff will gather dust. Like your 3.5, 3.0, 2nd ed, and AD&D 1 ed. A flick of the wrist and no more support for the core books.

So be smart and down load the CB as it is now and store it. It may very well be the last Core rules stuff you will see. From here on out support for Essentials will be there main focus.

And this ladies and gentlemen is a text-book example of flawed logic and broken reasoning.

Cows are green, grass is white indeed.

Riastlin

First Post
FWIW, today's Ampersand specifically mentioned that they were looking into making the Tools compatible with mobile devices and tablets, etc.

Note though that "looking into" is not the same as "We will absolutely, positively, without a doubt be bringing these applications to all of your favorite devices, we promise." At the very least, they seem to recognize the issue/concern among some of the player base.

Remove ads