I should write a book called "Diary of an RPG Hoarder"

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Eh, nothing wrong with building space for your hobby. Plenty of people have rooms for their cars (garages), wine (wine cellars), plants (greenhouses), swimming (pools)...let's not forget upper-class people used to have studies for their books.

Last edited:

Eh, nothing wrong with building space for your hobby. Plenty of people have rooms for their cars (garages), wine (wine cellars), plants (greenhouses), swimming (pools)...let's not forget upper-class people used to have studies for their books.
But does every hobby need that space? My RPG library fits on a PC, an Ipad, and a back-up jump drive.
Hard-copy RPG books are simply an affection, and unused RPG books are just physical clutter.

I have a room's worth of firearms, for example, but I interact with them regularly, and in fact they appreciate in value faster than inflation.

Geekrampage

Explorer
I slightly exaggerate, of course. But when we bought our new house in 2019, we chose a house with two spare bedrooms upstairs that we use for a) a dedicated game room and b) a dedicated craft/sewing/cosplay room.

The Game Room has an entire wall dedicated to book shelves for RPGs and an entire wall dedicated to miniatures.

I slightly exaggerate, of course. But when we bought our new house in 2019, we chose a house with two spare bedrooms upstairs that we use for a) a dedicated game room and b) a dedicated craft/sewing/cosplay room.

The Game Room has an entire wall dedicated to book shelves for RPGs and an entire wall dedicated to miniatures.
IMO, buying minis and painting mins are often separate hobbies.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I would advise exactly the opposite. I've thrown away over 600 RPG books in the last couple years, and I miss none of them. I have the most important on pdf, but a lot of unplayed games went into the dumpster.
Pains me to read that they went into the dumpster. But TTRPG books are, unfortunately, are much more difficult to find new homes for than board games.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
But does every hobby need that space? My RPG library fits on a PC, an Ipad, and a back-up jump drive.
Hard-copy RPG books are simply an affection, and unused RPG books are just physical clutter.

I have a room's worth of firearms, for example, but I interact with them regularly, and in fact they appreciate in value faster than inflation.
Depends on the person. I'm not a collector by nature. But I buy and keep a sizable number of books that I either have nostalgic value or are just works of art that I enjoy. So, I do have a room of bookshelves with board games and TTRPG books. I'll cull from time to time but there are quite a few things I keep not for practical reasons, but because I enjoy looking at them.

I'm the opposite with guns. While I enjoy visiting a collector and having them explain the history, features, and quirks of the various items in their collection, but when it come to guns I keep testing and selling/buying until I find one that like best for its specific purpose. I can enjoy someone extolling the virtues of the Colt 1911 and their various 1911-style guns in their collection, but I would never want to own one. I'm the same way with cars. Even if I had Jay Leno money, I would just would never have any interest in owning more than a couple vehicles that I like for the purpose for which I bought them.

So no, the TTRPG hobby doesn't need any more space than is needed for a laptop if all you care about is playing the games. If you enjoy reading, you don't need any more space than what a Kindle takes up. But lots of us like having physical books around.

Jahydin

Hero
@Dragonhelm
I had this exact problem, but think I'm getting better.
I still have an entire wall of books, but at least that's only half of what I used to own!

First, keep the books that really mean something to you.
For me, this was my first games I owned as a kid (Rifts, Vampire, GURPS, Earthdawn). Also, any system I ran a long campaign in is enough reason to hold onto it.

Second, spot the books that absolutely replace some of your other ones; keep those, donate/sell the rest.
For me, those were newer editions that were better than the old ones in every way (Savage Worlds, for example) or games so good at their genre, I would always choose them over others (Interface Zero over Shadow Run for instance).

Third, decide if you really need the "non-core" books for your older games. If you're just keeping the game around for inspiration and good memories, maybe the core books are all you need.
For me, this trimmed down my collection considerably. 3E and 4E D&D in particular are just fine without the extras. I did keep my 3E Campaign Settings though, cause those are just on another level.

Finally, if a game has never seen play and it's been over a year since you even picked it up to read or appreciate the art, get rid of it.

Moving forwards, I recommend getting a large tablet and start collecting RPGs in PDF form. Not only are they considerably cheaper, but the space saved will amaze you.
I find myself still buying the core books of games I constantly am playing/reading, but almost never buy sourcebooks or adventures.

Anyways, good luck!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Pains me to read that they went into the dumpster. But TTRPG books are, unfortunately, are much more difficult to find new homes for than board games.
I emailed Noble Knight, and they asked me for a list. I sent them a list, they made me an offer (in money or trade,) I took money, they sent me labels and paid for shipping. I had to find boxes and pack the stuff up and drive the boxes to the FedEx store in town. Sometimes I think of the games I got rid of, but mostly I'm glad they are not here any more.

Most RPGs gain value over time. I mean, look at Noble Knight's website or ebay for prices on some of the D20 glut books - I thought those things would be recycling bin fodder forever. But many are surprisingly valuable!

I am running out of shelf space though, so now I have to think again about whether I need to keep the books when I have them in pdf form and if I am not actively using the book now...

I emailed Noble Knight, and they asked me for a list. I sent them a list, they made me an offer (in money or trade,) I took money, they sent me labels and paid for shipping. I had to find boxes and pack the stuff up and drive the boxes to the FedEx store in town. Sometimes I think of the games I got rid of, but mostly I'm glad they are not here any more.
I don't like the idea of the unwashed masses having access to my stuff.

Besides, boxing stuff up and hauling to the post office is too much hassle.

Remove ads