I should write a book called "Diary of an RPG Hoarder"

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I've collected gaming books for decades. When my family moved last year, I got a real idea for how many books I had. I've gotten rid of a bunch, but there's more.

I seriously struggle with getting rid of some of them. I have questions that run through my head.

• I currently play 5e. Do I get rid of books from prior editions?
  • Do I get rid of books that are autographed?
  • Do I get rid of books that I got for the cover?
  • Do I get rid of collector's edition books that I've never used?
  • Do I get rid of books by some of my favorite authors/game designers that are not well known? (i.e. Ed Greenwood's Castlemourn)
  • Do I get rid of any Pathfinder adventure paths that I have a complete set of?
I'm sure there's more, but that's what runs through my head.

Anyone else experience this? Got any advice?

I threw away virtually my entire collection over the last few years. A few I replaced with pdfs, but mainly I just let go of that side of the hobby, the pack rat portion.

Buzzqw

Explorer
The RPG manuals I own are and will be my legacy.
I hope my children and perhaps grandchildren want to use them because a book never dies and lasts for centuries.
And if my children won't use them and won't be role-players, despite how many wonderful hours of fun and amazing friendships they'll be able to give them, then I'd be happy to have them donated to the public library.
No book should be abandoned or forgotten, especially if filled with fantastic stories and adventures.
i own over 300 and growing rpg books.

BHH

The RPG manuals I own are and will be my legacy.
I hope my children and perhaps grandchildren want to use them because a book never dies and lasts for centuries.
And if my children won't use them and won't be role-players, despite how many wonderful hours of fun and amazing friendships they'll be able to give them, then I'd be happy to have them donated to the public library.
No book should be abandoned or forgotten, especially if filled with fantastic stories and adventures.
i own over 300 and growing rpg books.

BHH
Wow. That is an interesting concept of a legacy. But physical libraries are on a slow decline as electronic books continue to dominate. Your legacy could still end up in a dumpster. You might want to hedge your bet by putting part in pdfs.

Stormonu

Legend
Of late, I've had to deal with my own hoarding. I wanted to work for TSR writing for D&D, so I tried to collect everything for D&D so I'd be familiar with their copious content. I had everything I could get my hands on from 1E well into 3E, even when TSR was no more. And that doesn't count the mounds of miniatures, Dwarven forge terrain and the amount of non-D&D RPGs & Wargames I've collected over a lifetime of 40+ years of gaming. The gasps from those seeing my collection for the first time make me swell with pride and realize how lucky I've been to be able to collect all this stuff, but it's just too much stuff taking up too much space. The reality is, I'll never get to use all of it, or even a quarter of it.

In the past few years, a good hunk of it went into storage. I brought back a limited amount back into my active collection - about a quarter of the entire thing. Some of it I sold off - duplicates mostly, as well as some items that had later been combined into collections (such as the various reiterations of the Dragonlance modules or the Queen of Spiders that combined G1-3, D1-3 & Q1) or simply the same book with a new cover and layout (like the black cover versions of the 2E rulebooks). In my non-D&D books I culled down to only the latest or favorite version of the game (such as my WEG Star Wars and L5R 4th edition books). Slowly, I've been trying to sell off parts of the collection that have been in storage.

Every so often, I do find myself pulling something out storage to go through, but more often than not a quick perusal reminds me that I don't need it, never will use it and it would be better off in someone else's hands whose more likely to get use out it. It's a slow, painful process to give up those old books and whatnot, and I don't force myself to get rid of anything - I only purge when I've gotten comfortable with the knowledge that it's been out of sight so long, I'm not going to miss it.

I've been trying to tell myself that I'm going to purge more and switch over to PDFs instead - they take up a lot less space and with a large iPad, the tablet I'm seeing it on is the full size of a book. However, it takes some effort to make the switch, and there's times you just can't beat the beauty of a printed book and the joy of flipping through a double-page spread of a real book. But I'm slowly getting there. And most of all, my back thanks me for not lugging around a 30+ lb. backpack on game day.

If I could, I'd reduce my game library down just down to a handful of books and the two to three RPGs I play on a regular basis. But that's years away, and I'm not in a hurry. I'm just slowly trimming away at the excess where I can.

Anyone else experience this? Got any advice?
I have stopped collecting a few years ago and have already sold half of my books. That was partly in response to my own shift to digital (both for reading and for playing), partly due to the fact that I slowly realized I actually don't enjoy collecting anymore.

Personally, I have identified a small number of books that I definitely want to keep (about one Kallax section, two if we also count Lonewolf adventure books). Those are, for the most part, collectors editions or systems that I enjoyed or that influenced me in the last ten years.
Admittedly, there is a large chunk of books that I haven't sold because I have no digital version (German translations from 90s and 00s), but they too will have to go at some point.

So the general advice would be to do a kind of Marie Kondo-thing and see what books really bring you joy by just having them or looking at them in your shelves. Everything else you could probably rank according to how much the thought of not having it anymore troubles you and how easy it would be to buy it back if you feel you made a mistake afterwards (e.g. collector's editions, rare books of old or autographed copies would probably get a higher score than widely printed books from older editions of D&D). And then you can start parting with the ones that have the lowest score.

Muad'dib Pendragon

The Spice must flow... From the Holy Grail
Fellow hoarder with OCD here. It's all about the books. My physical collection is well over 1,500 books, going back to the OD&D box set, and has grown exponentially in the last decade. My collection also includes thousands of PDFs for more systems than I can count. From Kickstarters to DTRPG and DM's Guild offerings, I'm routinely adding to my hoard.

While one day the RPG industry will totally move to the PDF side of the spectrum, for me a PDF can't beat a good physical book; the feel, the smell, the distinct sound of a turning page to reveal the next wonder. That said, a bookmarked and searchable PDF does beat a physical book for actual play reference if you employ technology at your table.

Finally, there's this:
My advice is to never give anything away, and instead buy more bookshelves. It's worked for me so far!

Remove ads