I spend way too much on RPG's.

I too used to buy WAY too much rpg material. Then one day decided enough was enough...I never even PLAYED many of these games. So I selected half a dozen systems to keep (at first), then promised myself the only way I would buy more game stuff is from the sale of my OLD game stuff. made life interesting..."Well, if I buy that old Runequest Boxed set, I will probably have to sell off my Buffy and Angel Core Books...". That and trades saw my collection whittle WAY down, so now instead of reading game systems I will never use, I spend that time working on my homebrew world and the various adventures set in it.

Oh, every now and again I will get something as a gift, or find a cheap book at a yard sale / used book store, but these almost always go to trade or auction to support my Runequest / OSR collection. I am now down to three lines (pre-3E D&D & their clones), Mongoose Traveller (2 books) and Runequest items in their various incarnations. And that's all I need.

TGryph

I wish I had the ability to do that. The packrat in me has me hold on to things for a long time 'just in case'. Heck, I keep hold of things like bank statements for several years after the time has passed. I don't need them for tax purposes, and I could get a hold of them again from the bank if I really needed to in the future. Yet I still keep a 'back catalogue' of at least a couple of years of statements.

So if I have trouble getting rid of things like old bank statements and phone bills, how do you think I might go with getting rid of something I actually have for enjoyment purposes, like RPG products? If you guessed 'not very well at all' you are a winner! :D

Having said that, I still have the money and space for the products so it isn't like I lost my house because I couldn't keep up the payments and I'm living in a car full for RPG products.

Olaf the Stout

mmadsen

First Post
I wish I had the ability to do that. The packrat in me has me hold on to things for a long time 'just in case'. Heck, I keep hold of things like bank statements for several years after the time has passed. I don't need them for tax purposes, and I could get a hold of them again from the bank if I really needed to in the future. Yet I still keep a 'back catalogue' of at least a couple of years of statements.
The first step is admitting that you have a problem. ;)

Emirikol

Adventurer
I got sucked into the black hole that is WFRP3. Fun game system. Absurd pricing and production expense. Suddenly my players are ready for a turn, and I'm gasping.."but I spent all this money on it..." Yea, consider it a lesson learned.

My other group plays Pathfinder, which has grown incredibly tedious to me (rules-wise).

I'm starting to lean towards rules-lighter systems b/c I just don't get off on all that complicated crap anymore (hence, my current fascination with the Indiana Jones TSR rpg).

jh

Corathon

First Post
I've done the monthly budget thing, its how I save up for conventions, etc... Then unexpected things like the Reaper Kickstarter come along, and budgets are ignored.

I have a budget for game purchases - just to keep from running hogwild. If there's an unexpected expenditure (like the Reaper kickstarter) I keep track of the overbudget amount and "pay it off" over time. In other words, if I go over budget because of some purchase I buy less in subsequent months until I'm back within the game budget again.

Remove ads