D&D 5E I think a cantrip somewhat cripples the CR 16 marilith

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
But she can't take opportunity attacks, so if he has move remaining he can run off and hide behind the meat shields.

Wait, how did mister zappy pants get close to a marilith to begin with if not by using his movement rate?

Dausuul

Legend
If your wizard wants to get into melee range of a marilith, I have no problem with you having a 40% chance (16th-level wizard's chance to hit AC 23 with a spell attack) of shutting down her reactions for a round.

Misty Step

So now you're burning a 2nd-level spell slot for this gambit? You're gambling high for what seems a pretty poor return. Keep in mind that even with misty step, you only escape if the shocking grasp hits. If it misses, the marilith still has her reactions. When you try to move away, she OAs you with her tail, grapples you, and proceeds to Cuisinart you on her turn.

You're better off to move up normally, cast shocking grasp, and then use misty step to escape. But that still only gets you 30 feet away, which is hardly a safe distance.

Last edited:

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
It's a neat trick, but no Wizard in his right mind is going to try it; it's suicide.

An Eldritch Knight, on the other hand...

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
1) Shocking grasp states melee spell attack - that certainly seems to qualify as a melee attack for purposes of the marilith's parry ability;

2) the wizard is now in melee with an angry marilith who has every incentive to make sure the wizard doesn't pull the same stunt next round.

Is he? My wizard usually hits the creature with shocking grasp to enable him to retreat without using the disengage action. If you hit with shocking grasp, no AoO. Run off, let your martial buddy get an AoO if it comes after you.

Or misty step out as someone else suggested.

Shocking grasp is a great cantrip. I always pick it up for a class that is able.

It's a neat trick, but no Wizard in his right mind is going to try it; it's suicide.

An Eldritch Knight, on the other hand...

Faerie Godfather got there ahead of me. Shocking Grasp isn't really a good Wizard spell; it's a spell made for "gish" types, especially if they've got the War Caster feat and they're looking for a cantrip to use as an opportunity attack. Eldritch Knights and BladeLocks take note.

If it organically happens, It's not a big deal, sometimes players just run across effective tactics.

BUT if you have players reading the MM trying to metagame tricks like this ahead of time, just rebuild the Marilith with a higher actual AC rather than relying on the Parry defence. Because IIRC Reactive doesn't actually make a difference for CR calculations, but Parry Defence does.

Last edited:

Remove ads