I think they got what they wanted

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They certainly could not have expected the massive blowback.

I disagree on this one point. Anyone who understood the gaming community could have told them about what would happen. It is hard to interpret the original timeline of a week to respond to the offered license as other than trying to make it into a "done deal", rather than something we could respond to.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I disagree on this one point. Anyone who understood the gaming community could have told them about what would happen. It is hard to interpret the original timeline of a week to respond to the offered license as other than trying to make it into a "done deal", rather than something we could respond to.

Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence.

Anyway, I think that the reaction of Hasbro shows that they did not expect the massive blowback. Some pushback? Sure. But not this.

The VTT is definitely a huge gamble, but if they pull it off in a way that lowers the barrier to entry to DM a game, they'll remove the largest blocker to getting new players, finding a DM to run the game.
If they manage to make DMing using a VTT easier than DMing in real life, that would be a miracle, so that is incredibly unlikely, and I doubt it's even a goal for them.

More likely they want to make it flashier and more monetized than DMing IRL.
And I don't believe they intentionally dragged themselves through the mud, I'm saying that they weren't concerned with it if it happened.
No.

That's definitely not the case either. They wouldn't have gone silent and backpedalled the way they did if they "weren't concerned". You're just making up retcon motivations at this point. And not plausible ones even.

Remove ads