D&D 5E I Think We Need A Bigger Shelf

Wizkid's new red dragon 'miniature' up for preorder and it’s a biggun, both in size and price! For $400 you can order the red dragon Balagos, the Flying Flame. This model is over 18 inches tall, and has a wingspan of nearly 2 feet! The wings and tail are detachable. The miniature is taller than the Tiamat model released last year, although the wingspan isn't quite as wide. Balagos is a...

Wizkid's new red dragon 'miniature' up for preorder and it’s a biggun, both in size and price! For $400 you can order the red dragon Balagos, the Flying Flame. This model is over 18 inches tall, and has a wingspan of nearly 2 feet! The wings and tail are detachable.

The miniature is taller than the Tiamat model released last year, although the wingspan isn't quite as wide.

Balagos is a famous red dragon from the Forgotten Realms who believed he was destined to rule over all dragonkind.

d1.png

dave2008

Legend
These are gargantuan and have the more typical horned crest of D&D's red

Here's one a bit more pathfinder with it's spikiness but it is available in more sizes

Side note, I used the old colossal red to wrap up a campaign and it was such a letdown when we realized that a single fly move action (200') would take it off the map. For something that big and mobile, it feels best left to TOTM rather than the players swarming a stationary blob.
Those are close, but not good enough to get me to go for them yet.

There is also this Tiamat, which I have thought about getting too:

Dire Bare

Legend
My Colossal Red Dragon only cost $100 CAD. Surely inflation hasn’t quadrupled prices since 2006??
Inflation, rising costs of plastics, shipping & manufacturing costs and delay . . . . and of course it's bigger.

And this is a collector's item that can be used for gaming (rather than a gaming item that could be used for display) and is priced accordingly. Pricey? Yes. Over-priced? Well, that's subjective, but . . . . the price tag doesn't bother me. I mean, I'm not buying it . . . don't have the gold or the shelf space, but I'm okay with where WizKids put the price.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Also just noticed on the minigalleries website, a new Apsect of Tiamat from wizkids was posted recently. 6 inches tall and can be found on an ICv2 article. $129 - might be a good stand in for actual table top skirmish.

dalisprime

Explorer
Also just noticed on the minigalleries website, a new Apsect of Tiamat from wizkids was posted recently. 6 inches tall and can be found on an ICv2 article. $129 - might be a good stand in for actual table top skirmish.
I'm not even sure why they're releasing it when Tyranny of Dragons Tiamat works perfectly well in that format and is still available online...

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I guess older version could be used to show in flight combat with the flight stand and the new one for on the ground….or the sculpt might appeal to people over the older one. I didn’t buy the Tyranny one cause it didn’t seem menacing enough for Tiamat.

I had an opportunity to review the price point of this mini with WizKids' Executive Director of RPG's which I posted here:

My quick summary is this:

The price of this mini is indeed high, however this was never the planned price point. Out of control shipping prices (6x normal) and high inflation in China has really increased the prices significantly.

Comparing the price of this mini against the introductory price of the gargantuan white dragon is not really fair as the $100 price point for Arvieaturace was a special price they set to help gain market attention on the mini. As someone who collects every pre-painted mini every made, I knew that $100 for that mini was an incredibly good deal -- I really didn't think they were making any profit off of it. The current price of $200 for the white dragon is in line with the pre-logistics/COVID challenges which are now being experienced.

WizKids' target price point for a mini like this is between $200 and $300. Unfortunately, due to the current shipping and inflationary challenges being experienced domestically and internationally, they had to price this mini at $400, and they really weren't happy about having to set it at that price point.

WizKids continues to view/hope that the current factors affecting their prices are temporary and they do look forward to lowering the prices when these external factors stabilize. The issues/costs affecting domestic shipping currently is having one the greatest impacts on these high prices.

Remove ads

Remove ads