D&D 4E I want 4E NOW!

devoblue

First Post
pogre said:
I think it's cool the excitement of the new edition has led so many folks with low post counts to give a shout out at this thread.

We are conciously aware of our low post counts and will use any excuse to increase them, like, this post, for example.

devoblue

First Post
Double posting also works.

I think the reason so many are posting is that D&D actually sounds interesting again. I'm sure that if I added it all up, I would have DM'd 3e less than any of BECMI, 1e, or 2e. Sure I'm older and not at high school or uni any more, but that means I need to be able to run games with less prep time. Even trying to run simple games for the kids seemed tedious. Given kids short attention span, I need to be able to run a quick adventure with little notice and little self investment in. As they are just as likely to run off than continue it, and that is more likely if I am looking at the rules or working stuff out. In the end the successful adventures have little to no real rules behind them because its just not workable to apply 3e rules to such a game.

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to 4e.

Dire Lemming

First Post
I do not want 4E now. I might want it when it's finished, but I'm pretty sure I'll hate it if it's released now.

I am however pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of flaming in this blatantly flamebait thread by those "Negative Nancys" with there "criticism".

Callikah

First Post
the more info i get the morte ideas i get for my campaign so im glad of anything wizards and you guys come up with atm :) role on may and the release of the first 4e adventure i say.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Yeah, out group is also really looking forward to it, and funnily enough, they all play WoW except for me (the DM), and I am definitely chomping at the bit the most.

And I totally agree with all of the other DMs about currently DMing 3.5 and having this rule/spell etc kind of sucks/bogs down play or what have you.

I often wonder which people are looking at 4th Ed as a DM and which are looking at as a player. I mean you can look at it from both angles, but like the Elvis/Beatles man thing, you got to pick a side eventually, so for me I’m mostly looking at 4th Ed as a DM…and it fills me with joy.

In the meantime here are some rules my group is currently implementing to get prepped for 4th Ed (3.75):

-Critical rule (no threat range or confirmation, max damage)

-Withdraw is a move action (half speed)

-Charge is a standard action (2.0 DDM charge rules)

-No 5 ft. step

-Half character level as bonus to damage

-No iterative attacks (replaced with feats such as Double Attack, Triple Attack, Cleave, Whirlwind Attack etc)

-Saves become Defences = 10 + half character level + class bonus (fighter +2 to Fort, bard +2 to Ref and Will etc) + ability modifier

-AC = 10 + half character level + Dex + armour + shield (no amulets of natural armour or rings of deflection)

-No flat-footed AC, instead grant opponent combat advantage (+2 to hit)

-2 x Str bonus when wielding a weapon 2-handed

-1 x Str on damage with off-hand

-Buff spells last only the encounter

-Concealment -2 to hit.

-Total concealment -5 to hit

-Any -4 modifier (shooting into melee, large size grapple bonus, Mobility AC bonus ect) is -5

-No DC's for spells, replaced with magic attacks (vs. Defence) = + Half character level + ability modifier

-Second Wind

-No absolutes (fire immunity becomes resist fire of a number appropriate to the creature’s power, and immune poison = +10 to Fort Defenc vs. poison etc)

-Per encounter magic and psionic system

-Saga Skill system

Wormwood

Adventurer
pukunui said:
Here's a question: anyone else having trouble concentrating on day-to-day stuff because of their excitement about 4e?
I spend 80% of my work day checking out this site.

Yeah. A little.

Remove ads