D&D 5E I want to play as a LionFolk in 5e

BeastyC

First Post
I'm currently working on a homebrew race of lionfolk. I got the idea while playing bloody roar on ps2. I ask my DM and she said she would think about it. So I'm working on creating the race in 5e. If anyone had any useful ideas or opinions I would be grateful.

This is all i have pulled from sources on the web....

LionFolk
Lionfolk: Lionfolk are a race of humanoid lions with a strong sense of pride and honor. Originally a tribal society hailing from plains. Many lionfolk have moved away from tribal life, and adopted more cultured lives in large cities, although some still hold true to the old ways. Hailed as brilliant warriors, many armies have been led to victory under the command of lionfolk. Lionfolk view other races as equal to themselves, and many races feel the same about them. Lionfolk hold pride, honor, and family as the most important aspects of life, and as such defends each aspect with his or her life.
Ability Score Increase: Your strength increases by 2
Age: Lionfolk reach adulthood at age 15, and live to about 150.
Alignment: Lionfolk are proud and honorbound. As such, many tend towards lawful alignment, although neutrality isn't uncommon. Lionfolk are rarely chaotic.
Size: Average Lionfolk height is around 7 feet, and average weight is around 250 pounds. Your size is medium.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages: You can read, speak, and write common and lionfolk. Lionfolk sounds like a series of roars and growls that is very difficult for other races to learn.

DarkVision: You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.

Keen Smell: Your animal heritage gives you advantage on perception when you rely on smell.

Savage Ancestry: Your are descendent of great predators because of that you posses natural claws and fangs. Any unarmed strike add a 1d4 for damage. While you are holding a Grappled creature, you can bite into them as a Bonus Action that automatically succeeds. The bite does 1d6+strength damage.

Savage Roar: As an action, you can release a terrifying roar. Each creature around you in a 20-foot-radius sphere must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC8+CHA+prof.bonus), or becomes frightened until the end of your next turn. After you use your roar, you can't use it again until after you complete a short or long rest.

GreatMane Lionfolk (subrace) While some still roam the plains of their homeland, most lionfolk have adapted to a more civilized lifestyle. Many lionfolk have aggressive and passionate personalities. They view combat with a great zeal, which can border on brutality, but they are usually well-meaning and possess a lust for life.

Pride Leader: Lionfolk generally natural born leaders and used to getting people to see things their way. You have proficiency in either persuasion OR intimidation.
Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma increases by 1

SnowMane Lionfolk (subrace) Although most Lionfolk have abandoned the old ways of the tribe, A rare subrace of LionFolk known for their white Fur still abide by this tradition. Tribal life is steeped in mysticism and shamanistic tradition, and SnowMane lionfolk often have little contact with life outside of it.

Primal Survival: As a hunter/gatherer society, many SnowMane lionfolk are expert trackers. You have proficiency in the survival skill.
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom increases by 1.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Savage Roar and Savage Ancestry might be a little strong. Aside from that it seems more or less on line with the PHB races.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the game you are using for inspiration, so I don't know what's important or not here fluff-wise.

aco175

Legend
Thunder Cats, Thunder Cats, Thunder Cats, Go!

You could make the sub-races based on types of cats and make the main type a cat folk. Have a lionfolk, a tigerfolk, a small tabbyfolk. This way some may be good at magic and some fighting.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I would remove the automatic hit. There is nothing in 5e that I'm aware of for PC options that allows that (maybe some weird corner case I can't recall), but not a repeatable class or race function. That's pretty strong. And if you're going to have a power that is durational and AoE, then possibly making it once per long rest instead of short rest. I don't have it in front of me, but the DMG has guidelines on how to create races, IIRC.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Check out the Southlands Heroes for 5E from Kobold Press for a take on a different application of the desire for a leonid race. Originated for the Midguard take on the 13th Age platform, the sourcebook includes a Werelion race.

The werelion, like your idea above, seems a bit overpowered to me, but you might appreciate seeing how someone else approached the idea.

I'm guessing that you, like me and others, feel the shifter races in UA are a tad weaker than we'd like them to be.

They may be overpowered for 5e, but Monty Cook has a lion-man race in Arcana Evolved.
You could also build it using the ARG from Pathfinder and then port it over.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The bite shouldn't be an automatic hit. The bite should just be a permitted attack when grappled, maybe as a bonus action.

I would tweak the Roar down to 5' (melee range) and just re-charging on a long rest.

Remove ads