D&D 5E I was right about Aasimar in Baldur's Gate 3.

I very much hope that things get better by release, but the stuff I hear has been Very Not Good. That's a very serious issue when "has good companion stories" is one of my favorite things in many CRPGs.
Wyll is okay in an "I want to be a good guy but I'm stuck in a pact with a demon (who I also love)" schtick. Fairly typical warlock PC. It's more his ability scores not matching his swashbuckling style that make him seem off. But he might be better once Pact of the Blade is implemented. Gale - it's more the voice acting rather than the writing that makes him a tit. And the githyanki is authentically githyanki. They aint supposed to be nice. It's the bad Twilight Fanfic character who really needs to be staked. Vampires are so last decade!

It's the bad Twilight Fanfic character who really needs to be staked. Vampires are so last decade!
What really gets me about him is, like, most Twilight-y characters are at least young-coded, even if the character is 300 years old or whatever they look and act like a teen or twenty-something (c.f. Twilight, Buffy, The Vampire Diaries, etc.), which is part of why they work, weirdly enough. But he sounds and looks like he's in his late 30s or early 40s (were he human), so the whole "regretful vampire" deal just makes him kind of seem like a nonce!
Gale - it's more the voice acting rather than the writing that makes him a tit.
Right? Did they have to get someone who sounds like Richard Ayoade's character from The IT Crowd?
I very much hope that things get better by release, but the stuff I hear has been Very Not Good. That's a very serious issue when "has good companion stories" is one of my favorite things in many CRPGs.
I will say, things have improved over the Early Access.

When I got in, which was fairly early on, all of the companions were completely rude and obnoxious (fine for Lae'zel, less so others). There was also a weirdly grimdark air to the writing in general, and you often had "only bad choices" situations (even where there were obviously better choices just not allowed), which is fine for say, DOS2, but not a BG game set in the FR.

This caused Larian to receive an awful lot of extremely negative feedback. And they did acknowledge this, though they initially tried to excuse it as "We're only adding the 'evil' companions in EA because normally they get ignored". The community came back with "Evil doesn't mean they have to be an insufferable prick!". And over the patches, they've improved a lot, though two of them are still introduced in ways that aren't great. They've also provided a lot of better options for resolving situations and slowly moved away from the "Every single non-companion NPC is a total wanker/buffoon/lying to you" approach that DOS1 and DOS2 veered dangerously close to.

There's a serious mechanics problem at the moment where a lot of the companions have backstories which only advance when you take a Long Rest, but:

A) Only one companion's story can advance per long rest (in general)

and

B) The game wants you to minimize long rests.

So you get a bizarre situation in Early Access where if you actually want to have the companion's story advance you have to Long Rest far more than you need to, accidentally trivializing combat. Hopefully that gets resolved before launch, but it's persisted through the whole of EA.

They've got a long way to go in 8 months, and I'm honestly scared for the quality of Acts 2/3 given how much still goes wrong in Act 1 despite ultra-heavy testing. But it's one of the better CRPGs for offering multiple solutions and multiple approaches to problems/quests/etc already.

Right? Did they have to get someone who sounds like Richard Ayoade's character from The IT Crowd?
I suspect re-recording all his lines now would be too expensive. And as the player character, arrogant overconfidence is less annoying than in a sidekick (who isn't comically incompetent like Edwin). Being a cocky bstd is fine if it's me.
But he sounds and looks like he's in his late 30s or early 40s
That's young to me!

But you are right, his voice actor is 44.

Maybe it's because all the Twilight fans got old, and young people today just aren't into vampires?

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Maybe it's because all the Twilight fans got old, and young people today just aren't into vampires?
Happened rather fast if so. The first novel only came out in 2005, and the film series was 2008-2012. I know it's easy to overlook such turnover but that seems like a pretty sharp change.

Happened rather fast if so. The first novel only came out in 2005, and the film series was 2008-2012. I know it's easy to overlook such turnover but that seems like a pretty sharp change.
That's 10 years ago. The difference between 20 and 30 is pretty big. And vampires where already on their way out the door when the Twilight movies came out. Hollywood is usually behind with the trends.

Camellia I don't think is too bad, I mean she's just Shadowheart with a lot less random sass.
What, they are not even slightly the same beyond both being Half Elf girls with black hair. Camellia is a rich psychopathic serial killer, who can barely hide her murderous urges and despises poor people.

Shadowheart was a street urchin who seems to be a good person who fell in with the bad crowd of Shar worshipers. Heck there are hints she was actually a Selunite who was brainwashed by Sharites into thinking she was always part of their group. Shadowheart's more similar to Daeran than Camellia (A person who is not evil trying to be so).

Who says they are permanently winged. They could have just grown the wings just now for a minute.
The poster I was responding to literally described a permanently winged aasimar race... So the poster I was responding to, that's who. I mean, you could have just looked at the quote, no?
What, they are not even slightly the same beyond both being Half Elf girls with black hair.
LOL.

They're both female half-elf casters with black hair, who are kind of rude, certainly have "an attitude", and have mysterious pasts that are clearly strongly at odds with who they present themselves to be.

The have very different secrets but until you find them out, there's considerable similarity. Sorry I didn't want to go MAXIMUM SPOILERS like you did.

Scribe

Legend
Camellia was both obviously evil but shockingly bizarre, by the end of WotR.

Too early to judge any of the BG3 characters, especially in comparison to WotR.

Remove ads