D&D Movie/TV I was surprised WotC didn't announce a movie-related product at Wizards Live -- unless they did ...

Yeah but Guardians didn’t have to carry the burden of being a fantasy movie. LotR movies have blinded people to the fact that, generally, these things are box office poison. I wish them all the best but I think there’s a world in which the movie is both awesome and a failure. Or, what I suspect, a tepid success not embarrassing make back our money but don’t risk a sequel. Hope I’m wrong.

Back to your topic though, there‘s a Red Wizard in the trailer, I’d like some serious Thay is trying to break the world again tie-in adventure.

The number of folks who watched the trailer on parimounts YouTube channel pay $20cad to go see the movie that is 340,000,000 dollars, that means the it's already profitable at that point. If each of those folks bring 1 more person to see it, then it's 680,000,000. Also take into account that the last MtG FR set made $100,000,000 by itself.

As long as the money is fun it's going to make insane amounts of money.

The number of folks who watched the trailer on parimounts YouTube channel pay $20cad to go see the movie that is 340,000,000 dollars, that means the it's already profitable at that point. If each of those folks bring 1 more person to see it, then it's 680,000,000. Also take into account that the last MtG FR set made $100,000,000 by itself.

As long as the money is fun it's going to make insane amounts of money.
I mean, I watched that trailer like 10 times, and I’m not even a huge nerd, that view count isn’t uniques.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah but Guardians didn’t have to carry the burden of being a fantasy movie. LotR movies have blinded people to the fact that, generally, these things are box office poison.
Not since Return of the King got invited to the Oscar party.

At a certain point, it's a new era.

We don't say Westerns are a sure-fire hit, just because they were for three decades. Times move on.

Between Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, the fantasy genre has plenty of prestige and commercial appeal. Now, bad fantasy still doesn't sell, but that's nothing to do with the genre, and more about the fact that bad crap typically does poorly.
Back to your topic though, there‘s a Red Wizard in the trailer, I’d like some serious Thay is trying to break the world again tie-in adventure.
Another argument for redoing Tales from the Yawning Portal, IMO: Give us a Dead in Thay remake that makes them a well-known brand for this new generation of gamers.

It still amazes that in one of the scenes on the DVD (which, yes, I do own), you can see Jeremy Irons finish a take, clutch his head, and pointedly stride off set. His disdain is palpable. LOTR had yet to come along to set the bar, and I think that the people that could've said "hey, maybe wipe off the goofy blue lipstick and don't delete the scene where the dwarf's properly introduced" just saw it as some fantasy cheapie and didn't bother. Because even someone that didn't know fantasy could've seen that it wasn't good.

I'm with you for the first half of the trailer -- and I'm more forgiving of Snails and Ridley than most -- but the second half of the trailer looks like a low budget video game, even for 2000.

And yeah, Peter Jackson and Weta were about to completely change the game after this.

I dig the idea of a crossover module, and think it a likely theory that Keys of the Golden Vault could be an intended tie-in. I suspect that Rime of the Frostmaiden and the Dark Alliance game were supposed to come out around the same time, only the massive delays to the latter scotched that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It still amazes that in one of the scenes on the DVD (which, yes, I do own), you can see Jeremy Irons finish a take, clutch his head, and pointedly stride off set. His disdain is palpable. LOTR had yet to come along to set the bar, and I think that the people that could've said "hey, maybe wipe off the goofy blue lipstick and don't delete the scene where the dwarf's properly introduced" just saw it as some fantasy cheapie and didn't bother. Because even someone that didn't know fantasy could've seen that it wasn't good.

I dig the idea of a crossover module, and think it a likely theory that Keys of the Golden Vault could be an intended tie-in. I suspect that Rime of the Frostmaiden and the Dark Alliance game were supposed to come out around the same time, only the massive delays to the latter scotched that.

So, the Warner Bros. film thst was in production for a.long time but never came to fruition...the Yawning Portal was apparently going to play a major role, and it seems that Tales from the Yawning Portal, Dragon Heist and Xanathar's Guide to Everything were meant to tie into it somehow...but it never got made.

Remove ads