D&D 5E "I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all" (a poll)

I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all.

• Yes

Votes: 119 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Votes: 6 3.5%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It might be fine by the OP, but to me it doesn’t fit the premise. When we play no casters we exclude paladins.
I totally get that, I'm pretty on the fence about paladins (and rangers and artificers). For rangers and artificers, I think enough of their power budget is baked into their spell options that it would be a major nerf to not have spells. Paladins, though, are strong enough that losing their spells would still make them pretty functional.

In 4th edition this would be great since non-casters aren’t treated like second class citizens. But 5e undid the good work 4e accomplished by making casters OP again and forcing melee to do nothing but auto Attack.

So unless 5e stopped having dogshit combat then I’d never play a non-caster game.
I feel like you have done little other than edition war, and complain about 5e.

A 5e game with no caster classes at all is one strike against - and two if it's meant to be a campaign rather than a one shot. But fundamentally the DM and the other players at the table are more important than the system. Would I play in a Matt Mercer one shot or a one shot run by one of my friends whose DMing skill I really respect with that restriction? Yes (although I'd be very surprised if most of the ones whose DMing I respect chose 5e all martial). Would I be interested in a game with some random DM with those restrictions? No. I consider it a bad pitch that would put me off the game. But it wouldn't put me off enough that I'd turn down certain people running this game.

Honestly if a friend proposed running a game like that I'd ask what game they really want to run and see if I could encourage them to run that instead. 5e just seems like the wrong engine - and the wrong edition of D&D - for a no-caster game to me.

(Now if they wanted to run a 4e no caster game I'd be there with bells on.)
Just use A5e and your good to go!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Someone's probably already mentioned it, but doesn't Adventure in Middle Earth already do a game without casters?
Supposedly it does. I considered it, but Middle-Earth isn't really the feeling I'm trying to evoke. It could definitely work for others planning a similar type of game, though.

In 4th edition this would be great since non-casters aren’t treated like second class citizens. But 5e undid the good work 4e accomplished by making casters OP again and forcing melee to do nothing but auto Attack.

So unless 5e stopped having dogshit combat then I’d never play a non-caster game.
Marshall characters are great for 5 AM, just have to be creative enough to play them!

Remove ads