• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part IV

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak glares at Bazrim before turning to the guard and begins explaining, "The 5 of us were returning to our lodging. We stopped momentarily to watch the passing parade. The uglier of those two lifted a possession from one of my companions. We pursued them. Then, the beast then broke free from its cage. We fought it off and detained these thieves."

Dichotomy

Explorer
The captain, a pillar of detachment, looks at the two men. "Is that so?"

"No, sir! Not true. We just bought the wand. They were stealing it from us."

As the pickpockets lies, the gaily-dressed, rotund man comes huffing back, the plump young woman in tow. "Shame you folk killed me chimera, but you saved one of my kin. For that I thank ye." The girl looks at Eskard, apparently only seeing his muscular physique, and coos.

The watch captain snickers a moment. "Easily enough to sort this out." He grabs the blind man by the scruff of his neck, whispers something in his ear, and the blind man whispers something back. Still holding the blind man, who is now shaking in terror, he looks at the wounded man still on the ground. "Who sold you the wand?"

"Boggles bobbles, sir," he replies, attempting to keep his tone calm.

"Not according to your friend," the watch captain nods at the blind man. The captain gruffly hands the blind man to one of the guards, and two others pick up the wounded man.

He turns back to the party. "That's your fault?" he asks, pointing to the dead chimera.
[sblock=OOC]Kushnak: diplomacy check 16-, plus circumstance bonuses
Thieves: bluff checks (not telling rolls)
Watch captain: sense motive (better than the bluff)[/sblock]

worthley

First Post
"We can't be held accountable for the beasts death when there is someone's life that was saved. And who knows who else the beast might have decided to turn into a meal? I am sorry to it's owner, but we did what must be done." Bazrim continues with talks that remind you nothing of dirty dwarf that was met in a bar weeks ago. It is becoming obvious to those that know him that he's getting more and more uncomfortable with the situation as he starts scratching his arm and brushing off non-existant lint from his cloak.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Nethezar curses under his breath after Bazrim finishes.

"You can't be held responsible?" the watch captain asks rhetorically. "I, and the laws of the Free City, disagree with you. You made a choice. You made another choice when you decided to attack these thieves instead of reporting them."

The rotund man looks about to interject, but the watch captain silences him with a gesture.

"You are visitors here, and you did something of a service. But know for the future, the Free City does NOT tolerate vigilantism. Further such acts could land you in the stocks, or worse."

He reaches into the wounded man's pockets. "I trust this is your wand. While it is likely insufficient, it will serve as at least some restitution for the beast you killed. The remainder will come from our thieves here, if that is consolation, so I'll not seek it from you."

He turns to one of the guards. "Acquire their names. Standard procedure." The younger guard salutes and turns, with paper and pen in hand, to write down your names.
[sblock=OOC]Baz: diplomacy 8-[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak nods to the guard. "I am quite sure my companions will agree that is agreeable." he says bluntly.

"My name is Kushnak of the Blade and my sizable companion is known only as Eskard."

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Balabar Smenk," Nethezar offers, without even a hint of the lie in his words.

The assembled guards take the thieves and move out. By now, much of the crowd that scattered has returned, and you hear muffled talk relating accounts of the battle. Members of the parade come back to clear out the remains of the cage, and in short order, this seem under control.
[sblock=OOC]Neth: bluff 19+ vs guard sense motive (not telling)

If you guys have nothing else to do, other than finishing the shopping/going back to craft, feel free to move yourselves ahead, or converse, or something. In other words, nothing else is happening at least for the rest of the day, unless you guys do it.[/sblock]

Remove ads