IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part IV

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=not worth]Erdolliel takes a deep breath before addressing the man. "My partner and I are here to inquire towards establishing an embassy for a tribe of lizardfolk in the Mistmarch region. The tribe has recently been involved with raids on an outpost there, but have since been shown the..error..of their ways and are now interested in a treaty to improve relations with Men. Ignorance was largely the cause of the raids, and their shaman would like to see his people better informed through peaceful interaction in order to avoid future catastrophes. I trust that this would be in the best interest for the Lands of Men as well."

The elf looks at the man expectantly.[sblock=oc]here's hoping for a good Diplomacy check! :)[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=not worth]Eskard's eyes snap to the floor in front of him once the pair enter the room. He holds his place quietly a small stride behind Erdolliel, eyes fixed on the floor.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Not worthley]"Lizardfolk in the Mistmarsh?" the man begins, with a tinge of confusion in his voice.

"Sir," the woman calmly remarks, "The Mistmarsh is flanked by Marsh Keep and Blackwall Keep, on the south and north ends of the marsh, respectively. In the past there were many raids by the lizardfolk in the Mistmarsh upon nearby farms and trade routes. The Free City built the keeps, and about two years ago, the attacks ceased."

"Ah yes," the man calmly exclaims, remembering. "Until the recent siege on Blackwall, yes?" he asks, rhetorically. "Why would we ever want to treat with such murderous beasts?"[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=yea yea yea]Erdolliel watches the conversation carefully, trying to see who actually holds sway. "The tribe lost a generation of eggs a short while back and were lead to believe that this was because Men were seeking to exterminate them. So they fought back as any being would. Their leader has been...disposed...and the shaman I mentioned earlier hopes to improve relations between the races. I'm sure the shaman hopes to keep what's left of the tribe alive as well."[sblock=oc]Might as well throw in a sense motive check on them if I could +0[/sblock][/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=STOP READING WES!]"Dear elf maiden," the man says, "the lizardfolk believed men were 'exterminating' them? Leader 'disposed'? And... 'what's left of the tribe,' you say?"

The woman, still taking notes, looks at Erdolliel flatly. "Perhaps being forthcoming will suggest something of both the veracity and credibility of your account," she offers.
[sblock=OOC]I'm not disclosing the bluff/sense motive rolls.[/sblock][/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=w-e-CRAP I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE READING THAT!]I AM being forthcoming. If I was trying to slip one past you I would have told you that a different tribe took control and they wanted a treaty or something. The story is as I have said. The removal of the lizardfolk 'king' eradicated much of their tribe. An act which my companions and I undertook to save human lives.

"This king had convinced the tribe that the death of the eggs was because of humans, so the tribe was willing to lay siege to the keep. My companions and I broke the siege and removed the king. The battle mage at Blackwall... Marzena, was rescued in the process. The shaman wishes peace so that the next generation can be raised without hatred in their hearts. The very existence of the keeps should be enough to prove that such a peace would tax the lands of Men less."
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Losers that live in Cambridge can't read this]"Bah!" the man snorts and turns his back dismissively, though he doesn't walk out.

The woman, still taking notes, asks, as if simply clarifying the record, "The shaman's name?"

After you answer (or not), she continues with questions in the same emotionless tone. "The name of this lizardfolk tribe? How did this king convince the tribe? What was killing the eggs? Do they still have some? How many? How many adults are there still?"

The man looks over his shoulder to add, "And do they offer anything with their desire for peace?"[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=fine! be that way!]Erdolliel does her best to address each question the woman asks. Wrapping up by addressing the man "Marzena knows the location of the lair and the shaman, so she could likely lead a diplomatic party to parlay. Since the shaman is the lone survivor, there should not be much resistance to such a group. The shaman did mention getting protection from another tribe until the young of the new clutch could be raised.

The first clutch were destroyed by mysterious worms, such worms also infected two members of the keep. Your troops didn't see fit to mention that the soldiers had just been barricaded in the cellar. However, our party destroyed the zombie like creatures that the soldiers had become. I had assumed that they reported all of this back to you after we left, but I guess that may have been overly trusting of me.

I don't believe that the shaman expected us to meet with any success and as such did not leave us any specific instructions for offerings. If a group were sent to parlay, you would probably learn more."
[sblock=oc]Have Erdolliel fill in any details that I don't know or can't find, but she would probably know (e.g. hermy the shaman's name, number of eggs left (I imagine it's 200, but can't find anything to back that up), and if any other adults survived our onslaught.

I am pretty sure nothing was offered for a treaty price IC, but if we deem that it would have been offered while we were resting (or if I just forgot I suppose), feel free to change the final statement to reflect that. Erdolliel was interested in setting up a treaty from the get go, and as such would have discussed it with him during the down time in the lair could be used as justification.

She wouldn't have dug in for such information though as she isn't a diplomat. So if the shaman would have told her "we will offer XYZ for a treaty" she would have remembered, but she wouldn't have said "What do you offer for a treaty?"[/sblock][/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Almost done]There is silence a moment, while the woman notates Erdolliel's answers. After she finishes, she taps her nose with her pen, as if to signal that her note-taking is complete.

The man turns fully back to face you again. "Very well," he intones with a sense of finality. "We can arrange something. I will leave the details to be sorted out between you two," he nods between Erdolliel and the woman and thereafter leaves the room.

"Marzena at Blackwall Keep, you say? A party will be sent. I don't know how fruitful it will actually be, but future generations may find that an early alliance with what is presently just a shaman with some eggs will later become a good relationship with a decent tribe of peoples that used to be our enemies. I can make no promises, but a proper negotiation will be had with this Hishka. Is there anything else?"[sblock=OOC]Diplomacy check: 18 (plus some boni for speaking goo)[/sblock][/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done done-itty-done]"I believe that what you have should be a sufficient start madam. I thank you for your attention on this matter. Come along Eskard, we can spar for the afternoon." Erdolliel then proceeds to the entrance, where she collects her belongings.[/sblock]

Remove ads