• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: [Gestalt] The Standing Stone - Game 1

IcyCool

First Post
"Hmm, let's see. There's the Forest of the Void, but that's far to the southeast, and from what I know of that place, it doesn't seem like what is being referred to in the letter." Jaqual takes a long drink from his mug. "I've heard all sorts of tales about lost weapons of power. I think another drink might help my memory. I'll be right back." He grins at his companions and heads over to the bar for a refill.

At the bar, Jaqual orders another drink and asks the bartender, "You wouldn't happen to know where I might find a place called The Empty Forest, would you?"

[sblock]Bardic Knowledge, Knowledge[Arcana], and Knowledge[History] to come up with anything about the forest, barrow, warlord, or weapon.
Bardic Knowledge (1d20+7=14)
Knowledge[Arcana] (1d20+10=17)
Knowledge[History] (1d20+7=11)

Gather Info to try and pick the bartender's brain about the location of the forest.

Gather Info (1d20+1=15)[/sblock]

nonamazing

Explorer
"Uriel raises a good point about tomb robbing," Yanhal notes. "There's certainly no reason why any of us should have to go against our ethical beliefs in the pursuit of our goals. After all, there're plenty of oppotunities for a skilled group such as ourselves to make both glory and gold, and not carry burdens to our conscience. Still, I'd at least like to go and take a look at this place. At the very least, we can play archeologist--bring Lord Ashaan some detailed sketches of the tomb and this sword he's looking for. He may not reward us nearly as much, but I'm betting that if he's a true historian then things like that will really hold his interest."

Rayex

First Post
The tavernkeeper

While some of you tries to remember something about the particulars of the Barrow, Warlord and the weapon, Jaqual is suprised when he realizes the bartender knew more than he thought.

"The Emtpy forest? Of course I would, lad. Just head north from here, and you'll come to a forest in less than four hours. After that, follow a trail or another northward for a couple of days, and you'll enter the Empty Forest. Why it's named that way, I dunno. Might be an old legend or some such, but who cares about names anyways." The bartender giggles, all her chins making a jolly dance before she continues "Anyway, if you're going up there into the Empty Forest perhaps you can drop by Ossington? The people from there usually come down every other month or so, but not for some time now. They even forgot to come to the fair! There are rumours that some elven kingdom or other have started to gather their forces up there, but myself, I think something more foul is happening..." She lowers her voice before whispering loudly "There are ghosts up near Ossington. The ancient Warlord travels at night, and the fey dance naked betwix the stone circles during full-moon." her voice turns back to normal. "Or that was what ol' Gytha told me, anyway."

"Now, what can I help you with?" She asks with a bright smile, as if she hadn't seconds ago ended a longwinded tirade about ghosts and feys and whatnots.

OOC: [sblock]I forgot to say this in the OOC thread, or anywhere else for that matter, but I will handle the rolling. You just say what skills you're using, what bonuses you have etc, and I'll do the rolling for you.[/sblock]

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
"Well, it sounds like you can help me with a great deal. First, I'd like another mug of your fine ale. Then I'd like you to tell me more about this Warlord, and this Gytha, if you don't mind."

nonamazing

Explorer
Yanhal looks across the room at Jaqual, who remains locked in conversation with the portly bartendress. "Hmm. He's been over there for a while. Either he's very picky about his choice of drink, or he's made a new friend." Yanhal laughs. "Odd...she doesn't seem like his type--but I guess there's no accounting for taste!"

Velmont

First Post
"What is his type?" wonders Donnor. He takes a quick look at Jaqual. He then come back and finish his glass of wine to pour another one. "Honestly, I don't care about what's coming next. If it can give me the ressources needed to try to ressurect Penelope, it will be fine for me. If her soul doesn't want to ocme back, good for her, she will surely have found a better world, but I'll offer her the chance to come back."

Kafkonia

First Post
"Agreed." Uriel shifts in his seat. "And it would give us something to occupy our thoughts. When Mr. Jaqual has returned, I say we accept this offer of employment." Adding under his breath, "Warlords are not my favourite people."

Rayex

First Post
Ol' Gytha

Pouring another mug of ale to the barbarian, the tavernkeeper prattles on.

"Want to know more of Ol' Gytha? She's a distant cousin. Married to my fathers best friends cousin, she was. He passed away a long time ago, bless his soul, wherever it may be. Gytha couldn't take the pity of her family and moved to Ossington back then. Visited me every now and then, when down here for the faire and such. Apparently she's set up some sort of herb shop out in the forest. Well, Ossington is in the forest, anyway. She use to bring me these lovely ointments for my backpains. I'm not as young as I once was, no doubt 'bout it, and my back is aching in the winter. Now, last winter, we had a lot of visitors! This one group of..."

She prattles on for several minutes before she, finally, have to stop and take a deep breath.

"Now, about that warlord of yours... Well, I wouldn't know more than what Gytha told me. There is a ghost or a ghoul or some such, haunting an old barrow out there. The barrows are thousands and thousands of years old, she says, and bursting with treasure as well. No man or boy from Ossington dare come close to it though, seeing that the ghost is guarding it and all. Anyway, that is what Gytha told me. Have I told you about Ol' Gytha? She was married to my mothers sisters youngest son, I think it was...."

IcyCool

First Post
Jaqual chuckles. "Thank you good woman, you have given me much of use. If you'll excuse me, I must be getting back to my table and fill my companions in on this fascinating subject." Jaqual nods politely to the woman and weaves his way back through the bar to his companions. Sitting down, he takes a quick drink from his mug and says with a grin, "Ah yes, I knew another mug of this fine drink would clear my memory. Let's see ... The Empty Forest is a few days north of here, near a village called Ossington. There are stories that there is some ghostly warlord that stalks the barrows in those woods. Perhaps it is the very same warlord our would-be employer mentioned." He shudders for a moment, "I think that we can expect to run into the undead if we go rooting around in those barrows."

He glances around at his companions before leaning forward and saying, "The barmaid tells me that the folk from Ossington usually come here every month or so, but that they haven't heard from or seen them for quite a while. Even if we decide to refuse this offer of employment, I think we are honor bound to check in on Ossington and ensure that they are safe and sound." Jaqual leans back, satisfied that his pitch will convince his friends to accept the employment offer, and unaware that they've already decided to.

Fighting the spirits of a long dead warlord and his troops, how exciting!

Velmont

First Post
As Jaqual speak about the barmaid, Donnor starst to shook his head. I didn't know your memory could have feminine traits.

"Honor bound? What do you mean. I agree it would be a virtuous thing to see if there is trouble in Ossington, but we aren't bound to it. We can't come to help to anyone that maybe need our help." replies the warmage.

He pause a moment. I would have been the first to accept. Trying to find what can make a man turn into an undead should be something interesting, but it's seems uninteresting now... Undead? Will we have do lose someone else?

"If you are willing to go, I'll follow. I don't care much. But remember what killed Penelope. The undead minion's of the high priest was just minions... the Warlord might be very dangerous." he then take a sip of his wine... a sip that was half the glass.

Remove ads