D&D 5E (IC) (OneShot) JustinCase's Within The Circle

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Wildhurst Manor
Evening

“That is most hospitable of you, Baron. Thank you,” Magdalena said. She kept her gear packed and ready in a corner of her cell at the monastery. She could only imagine what the rooms the baron would provide would be like. She had never slept in such luxury before, unless one counted Romeo’s arms…

Magdalena shook her head, pushing aside memories of her hasty fiance. He was alive. That is all that mattered. She had given up everything for that.

“How long a journey to your village is it?” she asked the villager. “We might yet begin work under cover of darkness, though that would give the goblins the advantage,” she pointed out.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 5/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

eayres33

Explorer
“My thanks, my Lord Baron,” Traubon said happily. “I’ve always thought that it is best to start a journey after a good night’s sleep.”
 

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Still about, but I'm thinking of playing my 10 INT, 11 WIS character at this level as not needing a lot of info about a mission. Just needs to be pointed in the direction and will trust in his own superiority to accomplish his goals.

That said, I am hoping he gets into trouble to build on his character. Might even give him a +2 to WIS at higher levels as he "learns" he isn't invincible.


"I think this will be a splendid expedition. No need to bother the good baron with a bunch of unnecessary details." Thadius says finishing his meal and swirling the dark wine in his glass. "If you have the time my lord, would you care for a game of Dragonchess?"

OOC: Thadius and I are ready for morning to start at anytime, lol.
 

TallIan

Explorer
OOC:
Jonah does not visibly react, and the baron glances at him for a moment before addressing Gorir.

"Sadly my personal troops are occupied at the moment, and we cannot wait until the goblins poison the villagers again. Time is of the essence, and therefore I would have you leave for Thistle at dawn."
I initially read this as though Gorir, may have offended the Baron with the implication that the Baron wasn't being honest. Rereading it I (not necessarily Gorir) feel that maybe the glance is embarrassment. Either way Insight: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=193821
to see if Gorir picks up on anything.

Not sure what skill this will warrant but Rumour roll: 1D20+1D4 = [17]+[3] = 20http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=193826

to try and find out from any servants what they think is going on in Thistle.


Gorir,

Gorir, listens to the exchange regarding when to leave before adding "I, like sister Magdalana, require some time to gather my things. I am barely ready for the present company, never mind a journey to fight goblins. Besides, moving wagons at night is asking for trouble, broken axles, spooked animals and it is much easier to ambush. I would suggest we leave in the morning."

Once the meal finished Gorir returned to his room. He checked over his things, considering getting ready for a fight. His armour and shield would certainly not fit in, but his hammer should not cause any concern. He fastened is discreetly under his robes, then bowed his head to ask for guidance with concerns before heading out to find the out of the way place every lords estate had.

A few carefully phrased questions, and some intuition, led Gorir to a spot behind the stables where a gathering of servants squatted. Gorir watched from the shadows for a minute, seeing the exchange of money then, satisfied none were cheating too badly, he stepped out and made himself known. Nervous silence greeted him until he opened his hand to reveal a set of bone dice and some coin. Welcomed into the circle now Gorir listened for rumours regarding Thistle or the Baron's troops, trying as cautiously as possible to steer the conversation to where he wanted.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 18 (Chain and Shield)
Initiative: +0
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d10

Offense:
Warhammer: +4 5ft 1d8+2S
ShortSword: +4 5ft 1d6+2P
Light Crossbow: +2 80/320ft 1d8P
Sacred Flame: 1 creature within 60 feet DEX save (13) or 1d8 damage

Warpriest 3/3 per long rest

SPELLS: Save DC 13; Spell attack +5
Cantrips:
Guidance; Sacred Flame; Spare the Dying
level 1: 2/2
Bless; Command; Healing Word; Sanctuary[/SBLOCK]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Wildhurst Manor
Evening

“That is most hospitable of you, Baron. Thank you,” Magdalena said. She kept her gear packed and ready in a corner of her cell at the monastery. She could only imagine what the rooms the baron would provide would be like. She had never slept in such luxury before, unless one counted Romeo’s arms…

Magdalena shook her head, pushing aside memories of her hasty fiance. He was alive. That is all that mattered. She had given up everything for that.

“How long a journey to your village is it?” she asked the villager. “We might yet begin work under cover of darkness, though that would give the goblins the advantage,” she pointed out.

"Thistle is just under a day's journey," Borden says.

“My thanks, my Lord Baron,” Traubon said happily. “I’ve always thought that it is best to start a journey after a good night’s sleep.”

"I think this will be a splendid expedition. No need to bother the good baron with a bunch of unnecessary details." Thadius says finishing his meal and swirling the dark wine in his glass. "If you have the time my lord, would you care for a game of Dragonchess?"

The baron smiles, but shakes his head. "I'm afraid I don't have the time tonight, good Thadius, but after your return I'll be very glad to!"

Looking around, he proclaims, "After dinner, my staff will show you to your rooms. If you need anything, just ask."

OOC:
I initially read this as though Gorir, may have offended the Baron with the implication that the Baron wasn't being honest. Rereading it I (not necessarily Gorir) feel that maybe the glance is embarrassment. Either way Insight: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=193821
to see if Gorir picks up on anything.

Not sure what skill this will warrant but Rumour roll: 1D20+1D4 = [17]+[3] = 20http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=193826

to try and find out from any servants what they think is going on in Thistle.

OOC: Gorir gets the feeling that the baron is being honest, but leaving out some details. Perhaps there was some disagreement between Baron Wildhurst and his man-at-arms, but you're not sure.


Gorir, listens to the exchange regarding when to leave before adding "I, like sister Magdalana, require some time to gather my things. I am barely ready for the present company, never mind a journey to fight goblins. Besides, moving wagons at night is asking for trouble, broken axles, spooked animals and it is much easier to ambush. I would suggest we leave in the morning."

Once the meal finished Gorir returned to his room. He checked over his things, considering getting ready for a fight. His armour and shield would certainly not fit in, but his hammer should not cause any concern. He fastened is discreetly under his robes, then bowed his head to ask for guidance with concerns before heading out to find the out of the way place every lords estate had.

A few carefully phrased questions, and some intuition, led Gorir to a spot behind the stables where a gathering of servants squatted. Gorir watched from the shadows for a minute, seeing the exchange of money then, satisfied none were cheating too badly, he stepped out and made himself known. Nervous silence greeted him until he opened his hand to reveal a set of bone dice and some coin. Welcomed into the circle now Gorir listened for rumours regarding Thistle or the Baron's troops, trying as cautiously as possible to steer the conversation to where he wanted.


The initial reluctance to talk quickly turns into enthusiasm as the game progresses. The servants know very little about Thistle except that a villager from there arrived recently; a kind man who is friendly to all the staff. Apart from some minor complaints about strictness, on the whole everyone is very glad to be working for Baron Wildhurst, claiming he knows the names of every servant and treating them and his subjects well. He is described as a fair and just ruler.

Nobody seems to know why the troops are not available for a mission to clear out a goblin lair, however; as far as the servants know, there are soldiers available for such a task...

*

An hour after dinner, when each of you has retired to a guest bedroom, each of you receives a knock on his or her door. It is the baron himself, going from door to door to gather you for a private conference. None of the servants are around.

The baron seems nervous and a bit intoxicated. Once he has gathered you in his private chamber, he offers everyone a glass of wine before speaking in a low, hurried, slightly slurred voice.

"If you had known what I was asking of you, all of you, what I'm now asking of you... But you'll say yes, of course you will. You're still young. I said yes to a great many things when I was young. I know better now, too late.

"Listen closely. The mission in Thistle is important, but it's not why I send you away.

"There is a storehouse, a guesthouse - a depot - two hours on foot upstream of Thistle. When I was young, I was sent there to raze the place. To burn it out, once I had taken from it certain books my employers wanted. Set the place ablaze so that their enemies could not use it against them. I did it, or I tried to. It rained all that week. The burning coal I carried with me died. My flint would not catch fire. I burnt out but one storeroom, and was unable to do more before the choking smoke drove me out. The entryway caught fire as well, and by the time I left it, it teetered on the edge of collapse and I was afraid to pass through it again.

"I want you to go back to that compound. Brave that entryway, if it still stands. Find what that place was, and who would want it destroyed. Somewhere within must be a clue as to the identity of the people that built it, and I need all the information you can find. Take my signet ring and go. When I went on that last mission, my employer put a spell on this ring; marked it so that their doors would open before it. Bring it back quickly. If they see I'm not wearing it, they'll wonder. Maybe they'll know. Don't be gone long."
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Wildhurst Manor
Evening

Magdalena had sent a servant with a message to the monastery. Her armor, weapons, and gear would be at the manor by sunrise, she knew. She had just started to fall asleep when the quiet knock on the door awakened her. Quickly she pulled on a robe over her smallclothes and slipped her dagger into her belt, hand on the hilt. Be vigilant was the watchword of Helm. She opened the door slightly and was surprised to find the baron there, perhaps a bit intoxicated. For a moment she worried a bit for her virtue and if she would need to physically dissuade him from forceful advances, but he merely told her to meet him in his private chamber.

“That would be most unseemly, milord,” Magdalena said. “But let me get dressed.”

Magdalena quickly pulled on her acolyte robes and made her way to the baron’s chambers. The others had been gathered there, so she relaxed a bit, releasing the hilt of her dagger and taking a seat to listen to this impromptu conference.

She was a bit surprised when the baron related the details of the actual mission for them. “Who is this employer that you are so afraid of, milord?” Magdalena asked. “What were the books that you took from this storage place that they wanted?”

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 12/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 5/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]
 

eayres33

Explorer
Traubon watched the Baron speak with great interest, “Now that sounds a bit more interesting. Intrigue, investigation, searching for knowledge, I can really get behind that.”
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"When I was a young man," the baron says in reply to your questions, "full of myself and eager to see the world, I fell in with a group of people I knew very little about. Not bandits, no, I guarded the family name well. They could best be described as scholars. They called themselves the House of the Circlet.

"I know very little about them. They paid well for the services of a young man like myself: strong, brave, keen with a sword. For years I worked for them, and they paid well, not only in gold, but in tuition. More than that, though. It seemed as though chance always favored me after I finished any task for them. My rivals befell misfortune, and obstacles were cleared from my path. So long as I served the House of the Circlet, my fortunes continued to rise.

"However, times have changed, and I am no longer young. My brother fell to a fever that the priests could not cure, and I found myself on the throne. My dealings with the House of the Circlet became less frequent, and I began to fear them. It seemed that before I had always dealt with them in private because that was how such matters were arranged. Now that I'm a baron, it strikes me as curious, even dangerous, that they would not be seen in my court. They still ask for private audiences for us to settle our business. And now I have begun to wonder. Who are these people that they can grant these things? Why does my advancement always come at another's suffering, when their will seems to guide fate?

"They came to me again this last moon, and told me it is time that I joined them in full. Before I put myself completely in their hands, I want to know who the House of the Circlet is; I want to know who I've been serving all these years. If I were to investigate them myself, they would know. So I ask you to go make this search for me. Return quietly. Speak to no one of your task, and only after the business in Thistle is complete."


He looks at each of you in turn, expectantly and slightly anxious.
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"We shall deal with this post haste" James tried to sound as reassuring as possible be knew all to well what it was like being snared in some one else's net.
 

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top