D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At first there was no anwser, and Kalorn carefully climbed the icy slope to the chamber above. Because of his familiar, Kalorn knew what to expect by the time he arrived, but the sight was still unusual: A large shelter was constructed in the middle of the ice-chamber, built of scraps, and in the style of the tents used by the desert nomads of Calimshan, some two thousand miles to the south.

The shelter was made from huge colourful tapestries and was large enough to hold multiple rooms. The bottoms of the walls draped down onto the ground, leaving no gaps underneath. The tent had no obvious entrance, but it appeared possible to slide between any two overlapping tapestries to arrive inside the shelter.

A voice came from inside the shelter and said flatly, "I suppose you should come in, then."

As others came up behind him, Kalorn pushed aside a heavy tapestry. The interior of the shelter was surprisingly warm, thanks to a small stove and simple lamps that were burning aromatic whale oil. Carpets were heaped on the floor in thick layers, and the tapestries that were styled from many different cultures were suspended from a sturdy frame of whale ribs.

Books and scrolls were stacked neatly on tables and reading stands made of hide and whalebone. The only furnishings in the shelter not made from these natural materials were the carpets and tapestries, and a portable writing desk that was likely to have been taken from a sailing ship.

Seated at the writing desk was a female tiefling wearing a blazing crimson cloak over tailored furs. The cloak was fastened with a silver-and-ivory brooch bearing a design reminiscent of a stylized, branching tree — the symbol of the Arcane Brotherhood. Two kobold attendants stoond nearby, glancing nervously between Kalorn and the tiefling, as if expecting trouble.

After a few brief moments, the tiefling looked up with an expression of pale disinterest and asked, “Have you come to save me or to kill me? Not that there can be much difference between the two.”

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"We come for information. The saving is optional. I see no need for killing."

Smiling thinly at the faint joke - the best kind - Kalorn added. "We have been sent by Imani, Sage of Hap, to seek your expertise concerning dragons. Are you free to talk?"

Seeing no immediate threat, he waved the others forward.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Ah, Imani. Yes, he and I had some correspondence some time ago. Before I was lost to this Godsforsaken place. Still, it has not been an entire waste. As you see, I have my research." she said, indicating the scrolls and papers on her writing desk.

"You have made quite the journey," she continued, "I will answer what I can."

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord pushed his way into the tent and glanced around the room, with mild surprise. Then he turned to their 'host?'

"Are these..." He gestured towards the two kobolds. "Your servants? Or are they spies of the dragon?"

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord nodded in response. "It is imperative that this conversation be kept from our enemies ears until we are ready to act. We are safe from divinations for the moment, at least though other methods of spying could be possible."

Assuming that Maccath is able to assure their silence, at least in the short term, Mord draws out the speaking stone to contact Imami.

"Imami, we are with Maccath now."[color]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Regarding her kobolds, Maccath shrugged, saying, "I don't think that they speak Common. If they flee, they may be off to warn the dragon, but more likely they will seek other kobolds or trolls first."

At the moment, the kobolds just watched, twitching nervously.

Imani replied, "Excellent. My dear Crimson, I hope we find you in good health. Please help my Agents to acquire the Draakhorn and instruct or aid them in its use. In exchange, they will arrange to bring you home to Luskan, as well as our previous arrangement. I hope this is agreeable to everyone?"

Maccath the Crimson waited to see if that was what the agents intended before she responded.

Remove ads