• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

PF IC - Tideruler: The Fall of Laholt

EVERYONE

"Is there some problem with us visiting this orchard?"
"Oooh, the orchard..." - Alanor's features open up in a goofy smile. "You'll love the orchard. Take someone with you. Take Goliath with you! They'll receive you well over there... They love elves over there!"

"Some might find your presence to be... Less than desirable. They're not fond of outsiders, let alone humans. But your presence" - he points out towards Aranel and Moss - "coupled with the monks reputation for good deeds and the fact that Daxio's name is well known around here - *mostly thanks to me* - might do the trick." - odds are that Goliath's notions of aversion are quite distinct than those from the outside world. Elves and Satyrs tend to pacifism, and will most of the times resort to diplomatic means to achieve their ends. At least, such is the history of Aranel's homeland, as both her and Moss know all-too-well.

"You mentioned 'they like me' in the forest. And Aranel too. Who did you mean? Did you have some new creatures come and join you?"
"I... Was talking about the trees. They have feelings, you know!" - he says in surprise. "That and... the Ents. They're cranky, and hate outsiders. We have a mutual protection pact, so to speak. They shield us and we help protect the wood they shape. But they've heard of you, both Ents and trees. And they like what they've heard. Don't ask me where or how they managed to know about you, though. Travelers, druids, who knows..."

"To be fair, I think they've heard of Zyara and her companions as well. But they're very cautious with humans. No offense, but your people tend to rush everything into conflict." - he smiles gently. "People say it's the gods you pray to, so stern and warlike... I say you simply chose to suffer life instead of celebrate it."


DAXIO


“May I have your name, lovely elf?”
"Meliande" - she says in a shy tone as she accepts his gesture. Her silence shows intensity and vulnerability, perhaps because of Daxio's reputation, perhaps because of his enticing manners.

"I..." - she glances to the side, attempting to break the sudden attraction - "...I called you out here because I wish to warn you. Ever since the plague settled upon my people, we have been struggling. And I fear it is our souls that are at stake..." - she looks once more at him, an immediate force attracting her towards him. Still, she controls herself, both moved and fearful, passionate and concerned. "Please" - she breathes intensely - "beware of my fellow elves. Some of them hate your kind with such intensity... I fear they might bring you and your companion to harm." - she turns quickly, reaching for the jug.
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=813]jmucchiello[/MENTION]
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Laholt/Alessia
Afternoon

“Your souls at stake? What can you tell me about this plague?” he asked. “And I will beware the elves, then. Thank you for the warning. But they have nothing to fear from me,” he promised.

Daxio slipped his arm around Meliande’s waist and lifted her gently from the fountain, lithe curves pressed against his firmly muscled body before he set her back on her feet on the ground. “I trust you do not hate me,” he said with a mischievous smile, leaning in close, arm still about her, gazing with intensity into her eyes. “Please, if you have any other information or needs, do not hesitate to come to me, day or night,” Daxio suggested, leaning in to steal a kiss from the beautiful elf.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 122/122 NL: 0
AC: 19 FF: 14 T: 15
CMD: 20
Fort: 10 Ref: 10 Will: 13
Armed: Dagger
Arcane Reservoir: 9/15/day
Consume Spells: 5/5/day

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0 (9): Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic
1 (4/4/5): Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Vanish
2 (4/4/5): Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3 (4/4/4): Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4 (4/4/3): Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5 (4/4/2): Dominate Person, Hold Monster
6 (2/2/1): Mass Suggestion

Spell Book:
0: All
1: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Featherfall, Grease, Liberating Command, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Silent Image, Vanish
2: Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3: Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4: Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5: Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster
6: Greater Dispel, Mass Suggestion
[/sblock]
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"Thank you for your time and effort Alanor. We will find the cure." Moss drops on all fours again and lowers his head to the table. He then flaps his wings in the limited space going for the door.
 
DAXIO

The young elf blushes at Daxio's gestures and suggestions. "The plague has taken its toll on us. People seem to become more and more distrustful of humans... And some move beyond the limits of our small settlement never to return. It's as if our once peaceful and loving brothers and sisters have been poisoned... Little by little, our ways surrender to lust and violence, lacking meaning and direction..." - she glances at Daxio for a second. "The Circle Crone has advised everyone against such lack of control, but I fear it may already be too late." - she falls silent and, with a pleading expression, lets Daxio away from her own body. As he offers help - and maybe something more - she simply acquiesces with a shy nod, returning to her tasks as before.

EVERYONE

Goliath's answer is simple and swift, and as the heroes leave the oak, he takes everyone to the orchard, as requested. The place is not far from Alanor's current refuge, as it goes. It is also nothing short of wonderful. The orchard seems to have grown quite quickly where once human hands toiled the soil to obtain grains, and where sheep once feed from fresh grass. Now, the entire area is covered in tall trees, from which golden fruits, resembling apples, hang within hand's reach. The floor shows a good deal of traffic in the past few days, and even though remnants of the golden fruits are discarded all around, no small amount still remains at the trees.

"The orchard feeds us and grants us refreshment when we need it. At the center" - Goliath points out - "you can find a Nymphaeum, built from part of the river waters. They've been purified with time, and are now visited by the nothern Nymphs regularly. Towards west we also have the remnants of three mills. People gather there from time to time, drinking cider and telling stories. Feel free to roam around. I'll have to excuse myself for now. I must tend to a few things concerning your presence here, as you might imagine. I think you'll be safe. If you need me, seek the old central square. I'll be there after conducting my own business."

He turns away, stopping for a moment in order to ensure no one needs anything else.

"Beware of the others. Not everyone enjoys the idea of having you around. Mention me if need be. It should be enough to avoid any conflict."
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=813]jmucchiello[/MENTION]
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Laholt/Alessia
Afternoon

“Hm. I am rather partial to lust,” Daxio told the beautiful elf with a mischievous grin. “But I understand your meaning. I would like to see you again, though I do not know where we are staying yet while we are here.”

Daxio looks toward voices as the others exit the home. “Alas, it seems my companions have concluded their business and I can no longer linger with you here, beautiful Meliande. Until we meet again, adieu.” He stole a kiss and backed away, rejoining the others.

“So did the old man say anything helpful?” Daxo asked, falling into step next to the beautiful monk. “Where to now?”

Daxio followed Goliath with the others to the orchard. He eyed the strange golden fruit. It seemed everyone liked the stuff. He plucked one of the fruits, studying it, sniffing it, but not yet taking a bite.

Nature: 1D20+24 = [10]+24 = 34

Daxio perked up at the mention of nymphs. “Nymphs are always fun,” he commented. “Perhaps we should question them?”

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 122/122 NL: 0
AC: 19 FF: 14 T: 15
CMD: 20
Fort: 10 Ref: 10 Will: 13
Armed: Dagger
Arcane Reservoir: 9/15/day
Consume Spells: 5/5/day

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0 (9): Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic
1 (4/4/5): Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Vanish
2 (4/4/5): Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3 (4/4/4): Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4 (4/4/3): Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5 (4/4/2): Dominate Person, Hold Monster
6 (2/2/1): Mass Suggestion

Spell Book:
0: All
1: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Featherfall, Grease, Liberating Command, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Silent Image, Vanish
2: Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3: Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4: Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5: Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster
6: Greater Dispel, Mass Suggestion
[/sblock]
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"I will scout from above. I'll let you know if I see something weird." little dragon flies off

OOC: Looking for patterns from above. Or holes in the patterns. Or whatever.
[roll0]

EDIT: Good place to crit :)
 

Shayuri

Villager
Aranel quirks an eyebrow at Daxio. "Maybe I should question them. Nymphs are said to be very...distracting, under the best of circumstances."

She looks around the grove and inhales deeply. When she lets the breath out through her nose, a curl of smoke escapes along with it.

"On the other hand, splitting up is probably a mistake, and the nymphs may respond better to you. Lets stick together, hm? We need to find out more about who's fallen ill, and I'm curious about these trees and their fruits as well."

With that, the dragon-oracle moved in the direction of the 'nymphaeum' to see if answers would be forthcoming.
 
EVERYONE

The orchard is fresh this time of the day, thrown under a blanket of shadows and receiving the cool winds that climb up from the many fountains placed around. All sorts of small animals can be heard, birds and hares, as the heroes' eyes and ears soon denounce, moving from cover to cover and taking interested, curious peeks at the arrivals.

Plucking a fruit from a branch feels natural and pleasant. The fruit rolls between his fingers, filling his palm with a smooth sensation. It's ripe for the taking, he can tell, as most of them are. No small specimen hangs from the branches, and not a single one is green. As the heroes' eyes rise once more to the emptied branch, they realize another fruit has already started growing there, gaining shape and size in an astounding speed. Within the minute another golden sphere replaces the one Daxio took from the branch, as pristine and tempting as the one that came before.

Within his hands, the fruit feels heavier than most. It is also surprising that smaller branches won't break under the combined weight of a few fruits. The texture resembles that of an apple, but the surface is cold, as if the fruit had been left to cool down under the water. The pulp's smell reaches Daxio's nostrils even without breaking the fruit's skin, a sweet, citric memory, mixed with the notes of mineral waters and pure, untouched earth, reaching out to him, inviting to a bite. The vital force that flows from it might keep a man standing for at least a day or two, with a single fruit for sure. Also, the attributes he identifies suggest powerful curative qualities as well. The downside is that the fruit also deteriorates at an alarming rate: already Daxio sees the thing building up small ripples, as if growing stale. Whatever it is, it must be consumed soon after it's taken, lest it rot away and disappear.

Above, the draconian scouts the area. The orchard took the best of the field's old shape, but memories still linger. He sees that the surrounding areas are still marked by the ruins of old separation walls, probably built by farmers before the fall. The Nymphaeum outlines itself at the center of at least five small rivers, coursing from many areas around the ruined city. Beyond, the small dragon sees the old castle, now taken by growing branches, the ruins of the old city, victimized by similar fate, the central square, decorated for perennial festivities, and the many woods that covered the open areas of the settlement. Peace and movement are combined in a natural grace unmatched by humans within these lands.

The orchard itself, he sees, holds far more than he'd have expected. The old mills that oppose the Nymphaeum are active and brimming with elves and satyrs. The Nymphaeum fountain is visible to the small flier - but only because of his acute perception. Even hawks would have trouble finding it under the many-colored canopies. No surprise, the fountain is visited by many a nymph, and a frolicking group of them seems to have fun as they giggle and dance, elder creatures in their childish age. Amidst them, though, the dragon sees a most peculiar thing: an old, shriveled creature, sits in satisfaction, peeking at the Nymphs' naked dance from a safe, hidden perch. The creature seems old and wrinkled, like an old lady that time chose to mistreat with particular intensity. She's there for a moment, but a second later she's vanished, unnoticed. On the other side of things, a bunch of satyrs also spy the youths as they leap and dance. To the south, a bunch of elves engage in a hunt - probably just for sport, a non-lethal exercise against the small beasts that crowd the orchard. All around, the place's deceitful rest is broken by bursts of life, in secrecy, contemplation or lust.

The heroes' timely arrival at the Nymphaeum is quite the event. From afar, they can hear the giggles and the sound of water splashing, noticing someone's juvenile presence beyond the green barriers that limit their sight.


[Ok, if you guys want to arrive in secrecy, this is the time for stealth! You may also roll for perception, in order to see the satyrs that Moss has already identified. As for our small dragon, I'd ask for Will save against 13. He DID see the Nymphs dancing, after all! :D]
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
[roll0]
OOC: I cannot fail DC 13 unless 1 is auto-fail


Moss glides over the orchard. He looks at the dryads contemplating the lack of scales, those strange, flat faces without fangs, visible ears and no scaly frills around their heads. They are graceful and he can see the beauty in their symmetry and recognizes what mammals, humanoids, find beautiful. But it is not for him.

He glides down toward his companions. Landing on a piece of stone, remains of the former buildings, he describes what he saw.
"Are any of you aware of any old-looking fey? That would fit in here, not those that eat little children."
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Laholt/Alessia
Afternoon

Daxio took a bite of the fruit, intrigued by it, before it could rot, savoring the taste.

Daxio wiped the juice from his fingers and chin as Moss returned with his scouting report. The arcanist tossed the apple core away.

“Old fey?” he asked. “Perhaps a hag? Let me think.”

Nature: 1D20+24 = [3]+24 = 27

Daxio gazed on the naked nymphs with obvious delight and desire as they danced.

OOC: Just in case we’re stealthing up:
Stealth: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7


[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 122/122 NL: 0
AC: 19 FF: 14 T: 15
CMD: 20
Fort: 10 Ref: 10 Will: 13
Armed: Dagger
Arcane Reservoir: 9/15/day
Consume Spells: 5/5/day

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0 (9): Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic
1 (4/4/5): Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Vanish
2 (4/4/5): Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3 (4/4/4): Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4 (4/4/3): Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5 (4/4/2): Dominate Person, Hold Monster
6 (2/2/1): Mass Suggestion

Spell Book:
0: All
1: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Featherfall, Grease, Liberating Command, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Silent Image, Vanish
2: Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3: Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4: Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5: Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster
6: Greater Dispel, Mass Suggestion
[/sblock]
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Laholt/Alessia
Afternoon

“I’m pretty sure it isn’t the fruit, dear Zyara,” Daxio sadi. “I checked it magically before I partook. It has sustaining and curative properties, not a curse.” He took another bite of the strange golden fruit to prove his point.

[sblock=Actions and Rolls]
Move:
Action:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 122/122 NL: 0
AC: 19 FF: 14 T: 15
CMD: 20
Fort: 10 Ref: 10 Will: 13
Armed: Dagger
Arcane Reservoir: 9/15/day
Consume Spells: 5/5/day

Conditions:

Spells Prepared
0 (9): Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic
1 (4/4/5): Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Magic Missile, Vanish
2 (4/4/5): Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3 (4/4/4): Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4 (4/4/3): Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5 (4/4/2): Dominate Person, Hold Monster
6 (2/2/1): Mass Suggestion

Spell Book:
0: All
1: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Featherfall, Grease, Liberating Command, Magic Missile, Obscuring Mist, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Silent Image, Vanish
2: Darkvision, Hideous Laughter, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility
3: Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Suggestion, Fly
4: Black Tentacles, Charm Monster, Confusion, Greater Invisibility
5: Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Hold Monster
6: Greater Dispel, Mass Suggestion
[/sblock]
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
"I think we should not sneak up. We want whomever we meet to open up to us, not be suspicious of us." Zyara says as they continue toward the Nymphaeum.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"Lead the way." Moss motions toward the nymphs. "They are somewhat...distracting...guard your thoughts and keep your focus."
 

Shayuri

Villager
Aranel shook her head silently at Daxio. What had she expected though? Didn't that just define the human race? None of them truly believed they were mortal, it seemed. A side effect of having short lives, perhaps. The fruit still seemed suspicious to her at any rate. Not seeming to be a curse would be essential, since elves and fey had many tools to detect that sort of thing. The fact that it decayed so quickly meant that it couldn't be examined after being picked too.

Even so, she reminded herself, it was but one possible answer of many. The worst crime she could commit now would be to decide she knew the answer already, and by doing so miss the truth.

"One of us should remain hidden," the oracle said softly. "We should not assume all eyes here are friendly."
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"I can do that. It's not like they would like me. I'm a green dragon and they are elves." Moss goes forward into the bush and freezes. Not ideal, but between his color and small size, passable hiding place.

[roll0]
 
Daxio's memories speak of many elder spirits of the woods that might befit Moss's description - not all of them comprehensive and friendly. Either a hag of a winter spirit, such a creature might pose a real threat if mistreated, and it wouldn't oppose communing with nymphs. On the other hand, it might be interested in youth and beauty. Old stories speak intensely of elder spirits interested in stealing the gifts of young nymphs, and this might as well be the case. These were, after all, savage lands now, and the temperament of those linked to it are famous for its' unpredictability...

As the companions approach under Moss' perched glance, the nymphs jump to their feet, either hiding their bodies into the fountain or running for cover. Their soft laughs soon become cries of fear as the group trudges towards the nymphaeum. Even a careful, pacific approach is enough to trigger them. Still, they do not run away, perhaps taken by curiosity, and now stare at the arrivals with a strange, unnatural look upon their reddened, ashamed faces. In a way, it is as if they were used to such encounters, but at the same time they do not seem very pleased by the sudden intrusion.

"How dare you!" - one of them speaks, her body now hidden within the fountain, only the delicate neck and the blushed face showing. "This is our place of rest, and you just come waltzing in! And ... with a pair of humans! HUMANS! I thought you'd know better, Aranel!" - she seems to recognize the elfic lady. "Have you no shame!?"
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] [MENTION=813]jmucchiello[/MENTION] [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
Moss looks around and above him at the skies. Just in case. He will hear what happens with the dryads, but it wouldn't do to have the party surprised because he tried to listen in.
 

Advertisement

Top