• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ice Archon

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Stereofm said:
Wasn't 4e supposed to be free of symmetrical monsters ????

MWAHAHAHA !
I don't think they've said that, exactly; just that they're ditching creatures who seem to exist purely because of symmetry (particularly alignment symmetry) reasons. Having four sorts of elementals, and likely four sorts of archons made from those elementals, is IMO compatible with this aim.

IceFractal

First Post
25 cold resistance seems fairly significant, although not having seen what kind of powers a 14th level character will have, I can't say accurately how much. Hopefully enough that using cold-damage powers against an Ice Archon is not a good strategy, even if your highest level powers are cold-based.

That (resistances being low enough you're still better off using your specialized damage type) seemed like it might be an issue with the Pit Fiend, but maybe it's just that Devils aren't as resistant as before.

TheArcane

First Post
Umm, this will probably cause some angry responses, but you know what this reminds me of? Without saying whether it's good or not, this Ice Archon, and the other monsters that were detailed so far (Pit Fiend and Bone Devil (?)), greatly remind me of RTS units. Really, you have to agree with me on this one. Think of a typical Warcraft 3 unit, got the basics - armor ratings, damage rating, damage type, and some have special gimmick attacks, maybe a resistance or special armor, and a couple of activated abilities or permanent auras, depending on its tier. Also, the Archons D&D stats are almost identical to the miniature stats, as far as special abilities and attacks go, and that's not an RTS, but still a tactical war-game. So, have WOTC taken some clues from other genres than MMORPGs?

TheArcane said:
Umm, this will probably cause some angry responses, but you know what this reminds me of? Without saying whether it's good or not, this Ice Archon, and the other monsters that were detailed so far (Pit Fiend and Bone Devil (?)), greatly remind me of RTS units. Really, you have to agree with me on this one. Think of a typical Warcraft 3 unit, got the basics - armor ratings, damage rating, damage type, and some have special gimmick attacks, maybe a resistance or special armor, and a couple of activated abilities or permanent auras, depending on its tier. Also, the Archons D&D stats are almost identical to the miniature stats, as far as special abilities and attacks go, and that's not an RTS, but still a tactical war-game. So, have WOTC taken some clues from other genres than MMORPGs?
That's possible. :)

But I think it makes particular sense for the Archons - from the Fire Archon Ecology article, Archons where created for "military" purposes - it makes sense that they look like units from RTS games then, because they share the same function.

Derren

Hero
WyzardWhately said:
Well, people are made out of meat, but you could probably still beat someone to death with a side of beef, after all. So, I suppose out-colding an ice elemental isn't too outlandish. You would think they'd be extra-resistant to it, though, or something.

Except that the beef doesn't harm the person. The impact does. That are two different things.

Imban

First Post
Lurks-no-More said:
I don't think they've said that, exactly; just that they're ditching creatures who seem to exist purely because of symmetry (particularly alignment symmetry) reasons. Having four sorts of elementals, and likely four sorts of archons made from those elementals, is IMO compatible with this aim.

Not that they're doing it for sure (though some things certainly seem to be - see Giants), but is having everything available in Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Fey, and Shadow versions reaaaaaally better than having everything in alignment versions? I mean, maybe you like elements-plus-fey-and-shadow better than alignments, but they're both the exact same sort of "symmetry" design.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Pinotage said:
Not really. It could hop around is some quantum kind of way even at 0 K! It moves when you're not looking! :)

Pinotage

Oh, dear God, no! It's the Weeping Angels!

Don't Blink! Whatever you do, don't blink!

The_Fan

First Post
I have absolutely no problem with a fire elemental being harmed by strong enough fire. But for some reason, I'm having trouble picturing an ice archon being harmed by strong enough cold.

Help me out here! Someone give me a good mental image of an ice archon being defeated by an overwhelmingly powerful cold attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads