D&D 5E Icons of the Realms Set 3: Rage of Demons

pukunui

Legend
I'm overall pretty happy with the *look* of Wizkid's minis. What I dislike is how freaking brittle they are! I've *never* had a WotC mini break on me, but I've already had several of Wizkids' break. One was broken in the package, and the other two were flying minis whose posts broke when I tried to stick them on.

I'm also a bit annoyed with how Wizkids isn't always getting the size right. Huge-size giants on Large-size bases, Large-size adult dragons instead of Huge-size ones, Medium-size elementals instead of Large-size ones, and so on.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I'm pretty unhappy to learn that a case, which previously was meant to provide 1 of each rare ("but we can't guarantee due to production issues") now has been stealth-changed to being 4-5 rares short! I am 5 rares short, the same list as above but also missing the Grell. That's a ton of rares and a lot of money to have to fork over on top of a case! In addition, they used to provide 4 out of 6 Ultra-Rares in a case. That number is now 2 out of 5. So you have to buy 1 more Ultra-Rare and 5 more rares than in the previous 2 sets!

The quality is about what I would expect. Some are great, many are inferior to old DDM minis, and some are better or comparable to their older DDM versions. They are generally of smaller mass and cheaper (more brittle, less detailed scuplt, fewer colors). I would have been on the edge about putting in a future case order based on quality, but the sudden drop in rares is a deal-breaker. I'm very disappointed in what a case provides.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
So Im happy to report I got my brick, (8 boosters) and ended up with the very rare Beholder, (now I have 2 of these bad boys). I also got the Illithilich, and invisble yeth hound. Got 2 nightmares, a roper (stunning piece) and some drow. For the most part no repeats, so I got a really good spread. I'll collect some of the individual pieces, like the drider, which I did not get.

Kor

First Post
In addition, they used to provide 4 out of 6 Ultra-Rares in a case. That number is now 2 out of 5. So you have to buy 1 more Ultra-Rare and 5 more rares than in the previous 2 sets!

Sadly the frequency is worse than that. A case will get you 1 or 2 ultra-rares.

I encourage all people unhappy with this case distribution model to write Wizards of the Coast, and tell them so. (As I have also done.) Unlike WizKids, WotC does have a customer service department, and based on the reply I received, they do provide the feedback to the appropriate people who need to know.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yeah, what's up with that? Why are Wizkids so opaque? Why can't we contact them directly? Boo.

I have no idea. I asked, but they didn't reply.... ;)

WizKids have traditionally been an awful company to deal with. They're really bad at customer service, and the play-testing of most of their games has been seemingly non-existent. But they have a couple of really good properties and do a few things well...

Cheers!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
So I got some of these and ended up with a Shadow Beholder.

Is this detailed somewhere? I know the MM has a shadow dragon template, but I didn't see one for a shadow beholder.

Dargrimm

First Post
I looove miniatures. I even paint my own (or, more accurately, used to). Sadly I must say that the sets that WizKids are producing are totally horrible. I can't bring myself to spend money on them with what I'm seeing...

Remove ads